Nikon Wednesday 2023: #21

Matt Laur

Note: Consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). New to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/398109-guidelines-for-nikon-forum-wednesday-image-threadsFor now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

It's the week before Memorial Day, so it's once again commissioning week at the Naval Academy here in nearby Annapolis. And that means as always that some rather high-profile alumni will be flying F18s up and down the Severn River to mark the occasion. Enter the Blue Angels. Today (Tuesday) was their practice run, with the formal flight demonstration happening tomorrow. It was a very high, gray sky - made for some challenging exposure choices as the fighters were quite backlit in mid-afternoon. Still, here are a few from the day - I can still hear those engines roaring out the freedom. The Z9's AF (with the 200-500/5.6) did a splendid job keeping up with these fast moving subjects. A good Nikon Wednesday to all, and let's see what everyone's been up to.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, bgelfand said:

The center image, the one with a singles F/A-18 is outstanding. Talk about a sharp image. Just how close was he?

I’d say he was flying at about two hundred feet above ground, but I was on a hill that compensated by perhaps fifty feet. He was flying over the river about a quarter mile away, and then banked into a path that took him maybe a hundred yards right in front of us. That was hand held at f/7-ish if I recall, and about 1/1000th. I was using continual focus and the Z9 tracked it perfectly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Laur said:

It was a very high, gray sky - made for some challenging exposure choices as the fighters were quite backlit in mid-afternoon.

Nice captures - they could all use some positive exposure compensation though; about 1 to 2 stops.

Z9, 300PF

Pacific Brown Pelican

Pacific Brown Pelican

Pacific Brown Pelican

• Like 10