Gary Fong Light Dome

hjoseph7

For those of you who use a Gary Fong Lighsphere  with diffusion dome. First of all, it took me a while to purchase a Gary Fong Lightshpere. There was no way I was going to pay $80 for something that looked like Tupaware. However, this is the diffuser that my job recomended, so eventually I got one on eBay for a good price. Much less than the $80 it would cost if it was brand new. 

Actually this IS a pretty good diffuser for real-estate,  group portraits and even individual portraits because it really spreads the light out. Gary Fong recommends only using the Dome when shooting in an area with low-ceilings, but I keep the dome on all the time, because it makes the light even softer. The problem with the Dome is that it keeps falling off the lightsphere.

One time I was shooting groups at a wedding and the dome fell off. The wind caught it and I was off to the races chasing this thing. Totally unprofessional !  I can't count the number of times when the dome mysteriously fell off in my car leaving me wondering if I had finally lost the damn thing. I had to find a work around because it was getting on my nerves. 

At first I tried to attach the Dome to the Lightsphere using Gaffer Tape. But after a couple of weeks the Gaffer Tape would loosen and the dome would start falling off again business as usual. I had to find something more permanent.  Then it came to me "Sewing Pins" ! I went to my "Sewing Kit" that I purchased at the Dollar store for $1 and grabbed two pins with plastic tops, that look like this: https://www.wawak.com/cutting-measuring/pins/quilters-pins-28-1-34-x-0026-175box-yellow/#sku=pi1014 

It took a significant amount of pressure to get the pins to go through the plastic/rubber dome and through the plastic/rubber lightsphere, but I managed to do it. It worked ! now the dome is firmly attached to the lightsphere and I no longer have to worry about it falling off and getting lost somewhere. So far, no adverse lighting effects either. If you have to remove the dome, then just remove the pins, you can always put them back. I even marked the spot where I stuck the pins in so it would be easier to put them back. I guess you can also heat the pins with a cigarette lighter to make it eve easier, but that might make a hole bigger than intended ? Here are some pictures:

GF1.JPG

GF2.JPG

GF3.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the past,  I've heard some very good news about the MagMod Magsphere, but I wasn't ready to spend $60 on something that looks like the top of a balloon. Not until a friend of mine showed me some results recently. WOW ! I ordered the Kit for $105 because you still need the magnetic attachment. https://www.amazon.com/MagSphere-MagMod-Photography-Attachment-Lightweight/dp/B09TRR36S5?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A17B7S85E7P0PX   Hope that's my last flash modifier ? 😞

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 9:45 AM, hjoseph7 said:

Actually this IS a pretty good diffuser for real-estate,  group portraits and even individual portraits because it really spreads the light out

exactly: for those activities is the best, the cheap imitations on ebay are good as well (same thing). I went for the collapsible (genuine) because is collapsible but I also use the imitations in studio for casual stuff.

the best diffuser is a white ceiling, and the absolute best is a scrim (flash bounced off the ceiling with the diffuser (plexiglass or PVC paper) close to the subject and away from the light source. softboxes are pretty much useless because the diffuser is WAY too close to the strobe and won't diffuse anything (but will eat a couple of stops of power.

the second best is this gary fong, hands down. and works ok for dark ceiling as well (but white are better)

Edited by mark_leha