Two ways of being.

pavel_l.

I really like this photo, @pavel_l.

In terms of content and composition, the photo for me:

- combines many different 'visual elements (house, trees, bench,  stones, labyrinth, autumn/winter leaves) in a well-composed whole

- demonstrates the 'gestalt' idea that showing part of the labyrinth is enough to 'suggest' the whole to the viewer

- has multiple 'layers':

> the visual pattern of the labyrinth in the park or garden

> the overlaying leaves and (separately)  the shadows of unseen trees

> the deeper (historical/traditional) layer of meaning of the labyrinth in spiritual/contemplative/religious practices; For me, this is underlined by the bench (for contemplation?)

I'm not a B/W photographer but I also really like the 'tonal composition' (including deep shadows and highlights)..

So for me, this photo really offers the viewer a lot to appreciate and a lot to 'contemplate' 🙂.

Congratulations!

Mike

Edited by mikemorrellNL

On 3/25/2023 at 7:21 AM, mikemorrellNL said:

I really like this photo, @pavel_l.

In terms of content and composition, the photo for me:

- combines many different 'visual elements (house, trees, bench,  stones, labyrinth, autumn/winter leaves) in a well-composed whole

- demonstrates the 'gestalt' idea that showing part of the labyrinth is enough to 'suggest' the whole to the viewer

- has multiple 'layers':

> the visual pattern of the labyrinth in the park or garden

> the overlaying leaves and (separately)  the shadows of unseen trees

> the deeper (historical/traditional) layer of meaning of the labyrinth in spiritual/contemplative/religious practices; For me, this is underlined by the bench (for contemplation?)

I'm not a B/W photographer but I also really like the 'tonal composition' (including deep shadows and highlights)..

So for me, this photo really offers the viewer a lot to appreciate and a lot to 'contemplate' 🙂.

Congratulations!

Mike

Thank you Mike for detailed review.

Labyrinth, bench and leafs are the main idea of mine story.

Cheers.

• Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Suggestions:

The house isn't part of the main composition and, being very bright, is distracting. I'd crop at the top just above the bench. I experimented with this holding up a card and it was a MUCH stronger image.

Tone down the bright leaves at the bottom, especially at the lower left.

Increase the contrast and maybe the texture of the patio, to really emphasize the curves.

Like this photo as well. As usual, I won't go into technical reasons, because I'm not a technical guy. A photo works, or it doesn't. this works! I love the black and white, the composition, the framing, and the square format. It's a photo that makes me want to be there, if that makes sense. It looks ethereal in a way, as if it's a dream of some kind. Really well done, congratulations. 

5 hours ago, marc_rochkind said:

Suggestions:

The house isn't part of the main composition and, being very bright, is distracting. I'd crop at the top just above the bench. I experimented with this holding up a card and it was a MUCH stronger image.

Tone down the bright leaves at the bottom, especially at the lower left.

Increase the contrast and maybe the texture of the patio, to really emphasize the curves.

Thank you Mark.

I agree that part of house is not welcome here, it's the composition rule that dragging me down.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, jc1305us said:

Like this photo as well. As usual, I won't go into technical reasons, because I'm not a technical guy. A photo works, or it doesn't. this works! I love the black and white, the composition, the framing, and the square format. It's a photo that makes me want to be there, if that makes sense. It looks ethereal in a way, as if it's a dream of some kind. Really well done, congratulations. 

Thank you Jc1305us.

Cheers.

Chris Frith.

16 minutes ago, marc_rochkind said:

@pavel_l.: What composition rule?

Rule of thirds. His bench is close to 1/3 of the way down, 1/3 of the way in from the left and is a strong piece of the composition. With your crop suggestion, then bench gets pushed to the edge and, imho, would not be nearly as strong of an element and instead becomes and afterthought or distraction. Also, the outline of his labyrinth right now is basically hitting all 4 rule of thirds intersections.

Absolutely go with what you see as the image you want! Anything I say is just an idea.

An alternative that also de-emphasizes the house is to tone it down. I don't know what you use in post, but I do this very often in Lightroom, which makes it very easy to put a mask on an object such as this.

22 hours ago, gmanfsu1973 said:

Rule of thirds. His bench is close to 1/3 of the way down, 1/3 of the way in from the left and is a strong piece of the composition. With your crop suggestion, then bench gets pushed to the edge and, imho, would not be nearly as strong of an element and instead becomes and afterthought or distraction. Also, the outline of his labyrinth right now is basically hitting all 4 rule of thirds intersections.

Thank you  gmanfsu1973.

You are correct. That is what I found If I crop out the white house.

Chris Frith.

• 2 months later...