BW or color?

Edwin Barkdoll

4 minutes ago, Edwin Barkdoll said:

You're right; the color version is visually busier.

The color version is busier but doesn’t have to be. The black and white is both higher contrast and the conversion to black and white has made the branch stand out from the rocks and background more. If you wanted this to be in color and preferred those aspects of the black and white, you could translate that in your color post processing. I could go either b/w or color here, but what I find appealing about the color is its bringing out more textural qualities, compared to the black and white’s starkness as you say. That textural quality could be maintained in either color or black and white, if desired. The color version presents the additional challenge of tweaking various shades and color tones to creative advantage. There’s potential in the stark contrasts of texture in the image, not only between the branches and the rocks but including the hinted-at background as well. Working with these textural variations might energize this in a way you like. 

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

12 hours ago, samstevens said:

The color version is busier but doesn’t have to be. The black and white is both higher contrast and the conversion to black and white has made the branch stand out from the rocks and background more. If you wanted this to be in color and preferred those aspects of the black and white, you could translate that in your color post processing. I could go either b/w or color here, but what I find appealing about the color is its bringing out more textural qualities, compared to the black and white’s starkness as you say. That textural quality could be maintained in either color or black and white, if desired. The color version presents the additional challenge of tweaking various shades and color tones to creative advantage. There’s potential in the stark contrasts of texture in the image, not only between the branches and the rocks but including the hinted-at background as well. Working with these textural variations might energize this in a way you like. 

Points taken, thanks. I'll put some more time into both versions.

Test

@Edwin BarkdollI was going to say but forgot that having a b/w and color version might be nice depending on context. Are you going to print one or both? If so, where will it hang and what else will be near it? Might it go into a slideshow? Where in a portfolio could it appear? Those things will often help me decide between color and b/w if either way doesn’t seem obviously dictated by the photo in itself.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

I've thought about this for a while. As they are, I'm not especially fond of either the color or the B&W versions. I think both need more post processing to balance them, lower contrast for the B&W, as an example.

I think the end product depends on your "mood" at the time of finishing.

As the candy ad says, "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"

In the color version I clearly see a black rope or piece of net.In the B&W, I can't really identify it, BUT it's there as a partially visible detail. I probably would have pulled it out of the scene before shooting, but since it's there, then I have to go with the color version. I really like the various grains and textures of the color that are missing from the B&W version. Maybe less contrast in the B&W would have allowed the textures to shine through a bit better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here I think the color works well. Suggestions:

1. Crop a strip off of the top. What's there doesn't add anything.

2. Saturate the colors a bit, without going overboard.

3. Experiment with cropping a strip from the bottom.

4. The strong visual elements are the curve of the branch and the large rock. The stuff at the right doesn't support this, so experiment with cropping if off.

• Like 1

Late to this party but I infinitely prefer the color versIon! The 'background' of the color version has (in terms of color) great warmth. In stark contrast, the tree/branches really stand out as a 'colorless' subject. The same applies to the 'rock' in the foreground. I see the B/W version as "yeah, yet another B/W that emphasizes structure and differences in grey tones (shadows, highlights)". For me, not so very exciting

In the B/W version this distinction (in grey tones) is IMHO much reduced.

Edited by mikemorrellNL
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Late to this party but I infinitely prefer the color versIon! The 'background' of the color version has (in terms of color) great warmth. In stark contrast, the tree/branches really stand out as a 'colorless' subject. The same applies to the 'rock' in the foreground. I see the B/W version as "yeah, yet another B/W that emphasizes structure and differences in grey tones (shadows, highlights)". For me, not so very exciting

In the B/W version this distinction (in grey tones) is IMHO much reduced.

Thanks for you comments, Mike. 

Edited by Edwin Barkdoll
Test

10 hours ago, marc_rochkind said:

Here I think the color works well. Suggestions:

1. Crop a strip off of the top. What's there doesn't add anything.

2. Saturate the colors a bit, without going overboard.

3. Experiment with cropping a strip from the bottom.

4. The strong visual elements are the curve of the branch and the large rock. The stuff at the right doesn't support this, so experiment with cropping if off.

Thanks, Mark. I like the ideas!

Test

• 1 month later...

The question I would ask myself were this one mine is: What is this photograph about, or what do I want it to be about?

My answer would be the shape of the branch, and the way it surrounds the rock, which has its own interesting pattern.

With B&W, you can make the photo about THAT, which you have done. Great job accenting the branch and the pattern on the rock with contrast, and making everything else recede! THAT is why we go to B&W (unless the shot was visualized that way from the start).

(An equally correct, but different answer is: This photograph is about the colorful rocks. In that case, the path I would take in processing would be completely different.)

Marc

• Like 1

I agree with MikeMorrell above, the color version to me is better.  There are lots of interesting color and variety in the rocks and limbs that can offer some creative and detail toning.  I'd suggest cropping some of the brown limb at the top and some on the bottom and sides to bring out the most interesting elements.  

• Like 1

I actually like both of these but also agree that each could use some creative PP to really make them less… something. Or more something, actually. 

To my eye, the B&W version is generally sort of muddied except for the large branch.  For me it seems the rock (or the space it occupies) and the branch compete against one another- although as presented the monochrome branch really does pop but the space the rock occupies is  at center.

The color version I think balances the scene better and makes it more a shot of the “whole” set, rather than a shot of the branch. There’s enough texture and variations in shape and tone with a sort of contiguous general color palette. 

As for cropping, IMO the image feels to me a bit cramped, in that the branch creates such strong visual energy, pointing Willy in different directions. It feels a bit like it needs more space around it, not less. 

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Like 1

As presented here I'd say the b/w version. Main reason is the small rocks in the color version have color and tonal values that tend to bring all of it to the front visually which creates a sense of clutter, where the b/w version creates some separation of values that give the picture frame some depth and define a subject if you will, where the big branches come forward just over the big rock, and the smaller rocks move just enough back to create some separation which makes it work better, IMO.

• Like 2

The subtle colors of the rock are varied and beautiful and make the color version more interesting. I also think the black and white is high contrast when it does not need to be. Both are workable, and you could use both. Just don't display both together or in the same setting because then you have an unfortunate confrontation set up between them. You can show one one time and the other another time.

Edited by Robin Smith
  • Like 2
Robin Smith

• 6 months later...

I like Marc's cropping comments. I prefer the Black and white as it emphasizes contrasting shapes with the fluid forms of the stark white limbs, and the round symmetric/organic shape of the large rock with round lichen patches. The smaller same colored rocks became gray background nullifying the busy'ness, unlike the color image. The color (to me) detracts from directing attention to the contrasting shapes which to me are the subject of the photo.

• Like 1