Double Straps for cameras

hjoseph7

Does anybody use on of those double straps that can hold two cameras ? This would be ideal if you have a long focal lens on one strap and a short focal lenght lens on the other. This way you wouldn't have to dip into your carryin bag all the time. I'm just wondering how convenient these things really are. I mean suppose you have to use flash ? Also how about the weight of having to drag two cameras along every where you go ? Some insight would be extremely helpful.

I tried one a few years ago but I shoot with three cameras, one a bracket with flash.  I found the system to be bulky and uncomfortable particularly when shooting with the third body.  I switched to my 80-200f2.8 on strap over my head and shoulder, 30f1.4 on a belt clip and the bracket but even that's a little uncomfortable.  

I haven't found a good method and usually end up just winging it . . . . 

I don't like them.

For events (and weddings) I use(d) an individual strap for each camera. Carrying three cameras, typically two with long straps slung over my shoulders, and one on a wrist strap. With two cameras, typically one slung and one on my wrist strap.

If using Flash, then those would be on the slung cameras, usually on a bracket. Wrist strap camera never has Flash.

I tried belt clip and bracket and I found the weight distribution on my waist was uncomfortable.        

If using a Telephoto Lens (300 or longer) then that's usually on a Monopod and when not in use I leave it on the ground near where I am shooting and carry it over shoulder when traveling.

I don't tend to 'carry' my kit bag around with me when shooting, I leave it close by in  a safe place, unless I have an assistant, which is rare these days.

The extremely good quality Zoom Lenses, Digital Cameras and large content recording cards available nowadays, allows Wedding and Event Photographers to travel carrying (only) two Camera Bodies and two Zoom Lenses (or in the case of Events, such as Sport, one Camera with a Zoom and one with a Telephoto) A few extra recording cards; a note taking device (i.e. mobile phone); White Card; Colour Check Card; and perhaps a Flash Modifier, in their pocket.

If using flash, each Camera could have a Speedlite, perhaps one on a Bracket, if necessary.

As a general  comment: Since 2004, I have extolled the virtues of a Dual Format Digital System with two (fast) Zoom Lenses for uses such as Weddings and Events - that is the basic kit for this type of work. If using Flash then add two good quality Speedlites. 

Digital Cameras and the advancement in Zoom Lens technology (and Digital Post Production) has done away with the need for carrying 3 or 4 cameras, Multiple Lenses, Film Bags, and a lot of "stuff". These advancements should allow the Photographer to focus more on the Photography, not all the ad-on 'stuff' that sales folk and internet bloggers would have one believe is necessary and professional.       

WW   

I use the OpTech dual harness.  It works for me.
I have not tried the other dual harnesses.

I used to use two cross body straps, but when I lift the bottom camera, it lifts the upper strap into my neck.  That is why I switched to the dual harness, when I need to carry two cameras.

Whichever dual harness you use, you need to commit to their anchor system.
Having both Peak Design and OpTech anchors on the camera is a real bother.

When I shoot flash, it is with one camera, so I don't use the dual harness.
A flash on a flash bracket makes for a bulky enough kit.  And I would not let it just "hang."

I think this kind of a solution may be convenient but can lead to equipment damage as when wearing multiple cameras on one's person can lead to bumps and straps can disengage cameras and lenses, with the latter falling to the floor. I've heard several stories of the latter happening among users of straps like black rapid etc. It can happen between foot and lens, or between strap and foot or camera bottom plate.

I just carry one camera at a time, usually with a 24-70/2.8 which covers most situations at weddings. At times I use a second camera with telephoto lens but I put the other camera away for those times.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, ilkka_nissila said:

I think this kind of a solution may be convenient but can lead to equipment damage as when wearing multiple cameras on one's person can lead to bumps and straps can disengage cameras and lenses, with the latter falling to the floor. I've heard several stories of the latter happening among users of straps like black rapid etc. It can happen between foot and lens, or between strap and foot or camera bottom plate.

I just carry one camera at a time, usually with a 24-70/2.8 which covers most situations at weddings. At times I use a second camera with telephoto lens but I put the other camera away for those times.

The OpTech harness holds the camera/lens at 2 points.  So if one lets go, the other is still holding the camera.

I prefer carrying just one camera, but sometimes you just need to carry the 2nd one.
Switching cameras is faster than changing lenses.  Been there, done that.