Email forwarder service - address change?

nikos

I apologise in advance if this has been asked before or explained

somewhere, I just couldn't find it.

I got this email nikos@photo.net email forwarder with my subscription

which is pointed to my current email address at work. I will soon get

a new email address and thus I will need the forwarding pointer to

change. There does not seem to be a way to do it from within my

workspace page. Is there a particular email adress I have to contact

in order to get this done?

And another thing. Is there a usage limit on this forwarder? I've

been giving out to a few people here and there because it's simple

and nice. I hope you're not going to tell me after a few months

that "we only allow 50 email forwards per day, the rest we delete"

Thanks.

I asked the question also a few months back and its been asked a couple of times since. <p>

The answer is that there is no way to do this presently. That really didn't matter to me since I never use the feature and I was wondering if there is anyone that does...apparently you do for one. I even suggested that rather than go through the trouble to make the changes (don't know why it was not done originally) we just eliminate the feature.

Eliminating this kind of feature is *not* a good idea. If you promise and hand out people an email address, it is very inconvenient to discontinue it in the future. In addition, if it's an email forwarder, the most important feature is the ability to re-point it, because that's what a forwarded is useful for, following you around as you change addresses. I'm sure there's a clause that says PN is permitted to discontinue the service at will, but I wouldn't expect that kind of attitude - not from what I've seen around here int the past few years.

There are no plans to discontinue the service! Nikos you are quite correct that the users can't change the forwarding address themselves. I'm not quite sure why we don't have that feature, but I do know that certain address formats (e.g. john.doe@xyz.org) have caused problems so maybe that's why plus I guess there are probably some addresses that might be inappropriate (just as some vanity licence plates are not allowed!).

Hopefully Brian or Patrick will see your request here and contact you.

As for limits I don't think any are spelled out, Obviously if you got 1,000,000 emails a day something would be done though!

I only suggested at one time that maybe it was a better idea to just eliminate it because it didn't seem like many people were using it. Once you change your original email address it becomes useless and there were few complaints. Also, in one of the earlier posts on this subject (I believe) Brian kind of gave the impression that it was not very important. I even asked if there were any stats on usege. Apparently there are people here that find this feature useful. <p>

Bob, I don't understand what the problems are with some address formats particularly with regard to being able to change the forwarding. Wouldn't there be the same problem with the system as it is now when the person originally sets it up?

It's still in the works. I hope to finish it during the next couple of weeks (weekends, really). According to Brian, there is actually some demand for this feature, so we're not forgetting it. It's just a bit difficult to find enough time to do it properly (apart from simply trying not to break existing stuff) and juggle it with existing duties.

<p>

I am unaware of any restrictions on the number of messages forwarded (per day, or otherwise).

About problems with address formats: the mailer system in use on the photo.net server doesn't handle periods in addresses very well (as in john.doe@photo.net). Fortunately, the fix is relatively easy and will be included in the next version of the photo.net alias software. A few weeks ago, I have manually repaired some existing aliases. After installing the new software, I shall do it once again and then all problems should be fixed.

My current forwarded includes a . as in nikos@photo.net -> n.moraitakis@*** and it delivers messages just fine. I'm happy to hear this feature is not going away. I'll just wait until there's a form to submit the change request on the site, my current email will be functional for some time.