Hello! Stuck beginner photographer from Australia

Bismuth

Hi. I've been doing photography since 2019, I started because I am an avid birdwatcher and wanted to photograph some birds, then I started trying other genres too. I have tried birding, macro, landscape, astro (wide angle), pet, and basically photographing anything. I feel a bit stuck. My photos are "nice", but no better than that. I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over and expecting different results! Am hoping to get some tips and inspiration from other photographers on here, and hopefully get better myself.

This is just my dog, Boof. I took this one last night. Shutter 30, ISO 500, aperture 2.8 - wide open because it was dark. It would have been a better photo in better light and with greater depth of field, I expect. But it was not set up, I just wanted to photograph him. I include this photo only as way of introduction.

I use Olympus mirrorless micro four thirds gear.

image_6483441.JPG.d8f592315c4b3cd5c30c571394ff58a0.JPG

Gidday and welcome,

Interesting screen name: I didn’t study much Chemistry, but I do remember Bismuth is like a Metal, but not a true Metal.

Amazing what we remember.

6 minutes ago, Bismuth said:

This is just my dog, Boof.

Arhh, "Boof" I think has origins in the Newspaper Cartoon 'Dagwood and Blondie' Good name, a contraction of "Boof-Head". That's something my Dad called me, often.

6 minutes ago, Bismuth said:

I feel a bit stuck. My photos are "nice", but no better than that. I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over and expecting different results! Am hoping to get some tips and inspiration from other photographers on here, and hopefully get better myself.

I reckon you might get lots of advice, My first advice is to post an image on which you are seeking advice in Seeking Critique Forum. Include the shooting conditions and EXIF and also explain what you wanted to achieve, but didn't.  

Hope you enjoy Photo.net.

WW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, William Michael said:

Gidday and welcome,

Interesting screen name: I didn’t study much Chemistry, but I do remember Bismuth is like a Metal, but not a true Metal.

Yep, it is a fascinating metal. If you melt it and cool it, it will form interesting stepped pyramid shapes as it cools, and the oxidation process will make the pyramid rainbow coloured. They call it "Bismuth crystals" after that process. It is also used in medicine.

Note: I didn't name Boof. He is a rescue. He is a complete boofhead though, so maybe it suits him!

Thanks for the welcome 🙂

"his is just my dog, Boof. I took this one last night. Shutter 30, ISO 500, aperture 2.8 - wide open because it was dark. It would have been a better photo in better light and with greater depth of field, I expect. But it was not set up, I just wanted to photograph him. I include this photo only as way of introduction."

Actually this is a pretty good shot. It shows creativity and a different way of looking at things. Many photographers start out by following composition rules to the 'T', but those types of photos will rarely get you any awards. Photography is like driving, the more experience you have the better driver you become. So don't worry about it for now, just have fun. Sooner or later you will develop your own style. Whether that style is boring, time will tell...  

• 4 weeks later...

Nice dog and welcome. And I like the pic. Do not criticise yourself too much. Just keep working on it. Post some pics on here to get feedback. Personally I have seen some horrific stuff posted that were only fit for the recycle bin. Do'nt worry too much post them. But critique them yourself first before someone else does.