Portrait books or web sites, recomend a few good ones.

chrismitchell

• 3 weeks later...

If you can find Brad Evans in San Francisco, he is great at taking "Street Portraits" There's an article about him where you can see some of his work. His website City Snaps doesn't seem to be around any more and there is another photographer named Brad Evans in San Francisco with a website, but isn't the Brad I'm talking about. 

I've gone shooting with Brad a couple times and he's a great guy and super knowledgeable about photography. His general technique is to greet people on the street and chat them up. He's really interested in people, he then asks to take their photo and positions for good light background and framing.  He did projects where he spent lots of time in areas in SF.  One such is about the Tenderloin in SF. Do a Google on Brad Evans "the Tenderloin" photos and you'll see several photos. He makes small prints of his portraits and carries them with him so he can give people a copy if he meets them again and also to show he kind of work he's doing to prospective subjects.

This the article I cited above: https://erickimphotography.com/blog/2013/01/22/more-than-photography-a-mini-documentary-on-sf-street-photographers-brad-evans-and-travis-jensen/

Brad was a p.net regular back in the day.

• Like 1

The book by Bryan Peterson's "Beyond Portaiture" is filled with the type of portaits you are interested in.  In my opinion, if you can shoot studio portraits, then you should do fine with street portaits as long as you use the sun as the main light(or over power it with flash). If its clousy, then you don't have to worry about the  lighting since the light will be naturally diffused and even. This is why most outdoor portrait photographers love cloudy days ! A major difference with street photography is that you really can't direct the subject(s) on how to pose, so good composition and timing is essential.  Another important factor is getting people you don't know, to relax in front of the camera. This is not always easy.  

You Tuber Matt Osborne (mrLeica.com) has some sort of guide for fashion portrait work...I think it is free if you contact him. Looking over his portfolios, from weddings to more recent glamor shots, I think his guide may be very good. I know he has been holding workshops in Europe over the last year, and have occasionally corresponded with him and gotten overnight personal responses from him. Watch him on You Tube and if you like what you see, give it a try.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've learned more about photography from Michael Freeman's books than from any other source. Notably from 'The photographer's eye' and 'The photographer's mind'. Though I have a couple of other of his books, including 'The complete guide to Light and Lighting'.. I can't compare how his (now older) books compare with more modern alternatives. And certainly not with those that focus on 'portraits'. I  just note that in 'The complete guide to Light and Lighting'., he does touch on portraits throughout the book and only really 'zooms in' on portrait lighting alternatives in the the last section of the book. The book is not solely focused on 'portraits' but if your can pick up a cheap copy, I would recommend it. In the last section of the book. he illustrates how 'lighting' affects a portrait. I learned from it.

I don't have it, but you might also want to check out Michael Freeman's book 'Michael Freeman's School: Portraits'.

I'm a fan of Michael Freeman because - in his books - he focuses on the aesthetics of a photo (intention, composition, movement, color, etc) and not on the 'tech' used to capture and produce a photo. I also like his his 'learning style' that there are no easy 'recipes' or ''quick fixes' for photographers. They each have to experiment with and develop their individual style of photography.

Mike

Edited by mikemorrellNL

• 2 weeks later...