Cant add nor delete photos from my profile. Also, all forum posts and contributions erased

Ruben Silva

I don't know what's wrong with photo net,
 many years ago it was the best site and it seems to have been ruined,
 and even worse, the rights of photographers and models have been 
abused by prohibiting the deletion of photos. What a shame.
Edited by ruben_silva
  • On Point 1

Sam,

What about the first sentence of that paragraph?

You retain any and all of your rights to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the Service and you are responsible for protecting those rights. We take no responsibility and assume no liability for Content you or any third-party posts on or through the Service. However, by posting Content using the Service you grant us the right and license to use, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content on and through the Service solely on the Photo.Net website. You agree that this license includes the right for us to make your Content available to other users of the Service, who may also use your Content subject to these Terms.

As I retain any and all rights to any content I submit, post, or display… that must by extension alloy me to delete my content. I have deleted my old content about four times and PN keeps restoring it to Images which I cannot manage at all. Doesn’t that violate my rights they acknowledge in the first sentence? It does not read that I retain all rights… except…

To all useful purposes, for information only (my terminology), in Europe the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) encompasses the right to privacy/the right to be forgotten which applies to all social media, search engines etc, among others, and includes the right to withdraw consent to use any personal data or photographs displayed.

The law is far reaching and even obliges the previous user to inform any other websites where they've been shared that you have asked for your data and links to them to be deleted.

Incidentally, both Meta and Google were long ignorant (willfully or not) of European law and ended up having to accommodate though their newly applied privacy laws from which everyone now benefits (cookies included). AI does not create laws, we do, for our mutual benefit.

That said, most certainly no one ‘threatened” PN, 

Sanford, I'm sorry you are unhappy, but saying things that are untrue and that belittle the site are just not helpful.  

Efforts are being made incrementally to keep the site alive.  Functionality is currently the key issue.

It would be useful to hear some positive comments on the advances rather than constant reiteration of issues that are as yet unresolved.  Some, in the final analysis will likely fall short of PN in its heyday, but it will be as good as possible given the circumstances.

I'm not unhappy at all, don't know how you got that impression. I've always regarded photo.net as my "Camera Club" where a small number of regulars can show their work and have discussions about photographic topics. P/N functions perfectly in that role.

• Like 1

We all love PN, that is why we are here .. : -)

There is a misconception here nevertheless, “active” members notwithstanding, “membership” of PN per se was increasing on a regular basis, before the takeover. It was all plotted on a graph. Hopefully, it will continue to do so, I see no reason why this should (not) be so .. to paraphrase Trump after his correction!  

Sanford, I don't want to prolong this initial discussion unnecessarily, but there are legitimate cases where photos must be removed. To give but one example, in my area of photography but there are others too, subjects get married, have babies, find a new job etc. ..  they must have the right to erase the past. Thankfully, this is now recognized in our part of the world, not too sure what the rules are elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • On Point 1

3 minutes ago, John Peri said:

.there is nevertheless one thing that continues to bother me. I have the impression that I get more points added to my "reputation" by writing this nonsense than by posting photos .. : -)

Nah, "Likes" beat "Reputation" every time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hope that I am not beating a dead horse, but the OP started out with the notion that PN restricts - prohibits - the addition (? I don't see that problem) and deletion of images. I have deleted hundreds of photos before this migration only to see them restored again and again so that they had to be deleted again. Fortunately for me TGOPS appears to have been successful at deleting them permanently (I hope). 

As a test I posted two pictures and deleted one of them a couple of weeks later and I see that I again cannot view or delete the photo. This means that there is no change in PN functionality, and I cannot delete my photos. I see them when using my computer when I select my name in the upper right corner, select profile and then select Images on the right side of the screen in the horizontal blue bar that displays the choices Activity, About Me, and Images. It appears that I cannot get to this point while using my Android phone.

I am hesitant to post additional images if I cannot have the freedom to manage them. Also, I noted John Peri's remarks about European privacy laws.

The bottom line is that I am suggesting a PN change to permit full content control by the content provider. I do not know how difficult this would be, but I think that it should be relatively easy to "mark" a photo for deletion, suppress its view, and a background proc would permanently delete it. I'm not sure that there would be additional factors such as maintaining content for say 30 or 60 days in case there were some legal action in progress requiring the preservation of content for evidence.

Any thoughts?

It's understood that not all the Site Help threads are read, on the other hand, it does bode well to have a squizz at previous conversations especially when this particular topic is quite a common discussion piece - and as an helping hand, if in the future a member sees a similar gripe, can you please refer them to the question already addressed - hopefully this detailed information will assist . . .

2 hours ago, mickeysimpson said:

I have deleted hundreds of photos before this migration only to see them restored again and again so that they had to be deleted again.

The process of deleting on this system is automatically TIME segmented. One should not assume an immediate response. Similar to a PC - one dumps the rubbish in "Trash", where it resides, until the Trash is EMPTIED.

This functionality has been explained before.   

Please read this conversation for a detailed answer, with examples LINK

As a test I posted two pictures and deleted one of them a couple of weeks later and I see that I again cannot view or delete the photo. This means that there is no change in PN functionality, and I cannot delete my photos. I see them when using my computer when I select my name in the upper right corner, select profile and then select Images on the right side of the screen in the horizontal blue bar that displays the choices Activity, About Me, and Images.

. . .

I think that it should be relatively easy to "mark" a photo for deletion, suppress its view, and a background proc would permanently delete it.

It is easy to mark a photo and delete it - and yes - a background process does (permanently) delete later.

This has been explained before.  

As a test, my colleague, who is a "Member" of Photo.net, in the last hour logged in and deleted two of their images.

The procedure is (and was always on this platform) as follows -

Using the drop down on your name, select [Profile]

Then [Images]

Then hover the mouse over the Image and select [View the Image]

In the new window at the bottom left, there is a drop down [Manage Image] - select [Delete] - There will be a pop up asking to confirm the delete selection.

Returning to your Profile, you will now note that the 'deleted' image still appears, however it is encased in a light purple surround, this indicates the 'deletion' (which as described above and previously is an AUTOMATIC and TIME DELAYED managed process.

European privacy laws.

If any member requires deletion of their account and the contents contained therein, then simply ask a Moderator.

This also has been mentioned previously and numerously.

There have been Members who have requested this, and, ever since these cited (new) EU laws have been in effect, I know of no request which has not been done (immediately) upon a Moderator receiving that request.   

WW

Below are screen shots which will assist in your quest to delete your Images - 

Member Sample 01.jpg

Member Sample 02.jpg

Member Sample 03.jpg

23 hours ago, William Michael said:

It's understood that not all the Site Help threads are read, on the other hand, it does bode well to have a squizz at previous conversations especially when this particular topic is quite a common discussion piece - and as an helping hand, if in the future a member sees a similar gripe, can you please refer them to the question already addressed - hopefully this detailed information will assist . . .

The process of deleting on this system is automatically TIME segmented. One should not assume an immediate response. Similar to a PC - one dumps the rubbish in "Trash", where it resides, until the Trash is EMPTIED.

This functionality has been explained before.   

Please read this conversation for a detailed answer, with examples LINK

It is easy to mark a photo and delete it - and yes - a background process does (permanently) delete later.

This has been explained before.  

As a test, my colleague, who is a "Member" of Photo.net, in the last hour logged in and deleted two of their images.

The procedure is (and was always on this platform) as follows -

Using the drop down on your name, select [Profile]

Then [Images]

Then hover the mouse over the Image and select [View the Image]

In the new window at the bottom left, there is a drop down [Manage Image] - select [Delete] - There will be a pop up asking to confirm the delete selection.

Returning to your Profile, you will now note that the 'deleted' image still appears, however it is encased in a light purple surround, this indicates the 'deletion' (which as described above and previously is an AUTOMATIC and TIME DELAYED managed process.

If any member requires deletion of their account and the contents contained therein, then simply ask a Moderator.

This also has been mentioned previously and numerously.

There have been Members who have requested this, and, ever since these cited (new) EU laws have been in effect, I know of no request which has not been done (immediately) upon a Moderator receiving that request.   

WW

Below are screen shots which will assist in your quest to delete your Images - 

Thank you for your explanation about the time delayed deletion proc Michael. I only wish to see a PN that works for everyone, including me.

On my systems (Windows 11 Pro and Windows 10 Pro both using Edge) I see results that do not track consistently to the steps/results you have described.

Where I see a diversion is where you describe what appears after I delete and image.

1)      My deleted image has no light purple surround or any indication whatsoever that the image has been deleted or awaiting permanent deletion by the automated – time delayed deletion proc. The deleted image appears just like one that I have not deleted.

2)      When I select my deleted image, I get a screen that states “Oops! You do not have permission to view this content” with a contact us button. I cannot take any action to manage the image at this point.

I don’t really care if my deleted image(s) remain visible to me while awaiting the delete proc to run. That said, I’ve done this multiple times after the migration, and my deleted image(s) have not permanently disappeared until a moderator or one of the volunteers ay my request has permanently deleted them. I don’t think that it’s reasonable for me or anyone to expect a moderator or a volunteer to delete images for me or anyone else.

So, can the schedule for the deletion proc be shared and/or adjusted? Since it is automated, perhaps the best solution is to review the schedule for launching it. I do hope that it is truly automated and not left for someone to manually schedule it each time it runs.

Can you review your results to confirm how a deleted image actually appears after it has been selected for deletion?

I believe that you have my email address, and you are welcome to contact me offline to review if you so desire.

Thank you for your attention to this matter Michael.

Mick Simpson

Edited by mickeysimpson

Just now, Sandy Vongries said:

Complaining about things we have been unable to change so far is not helpful, and is discouraging to those of us who spend a lot of time trying to get things working.  Part of the solution, or amplifying the problems.  A decision to make.

Sandy, I merely have expressed my thoughts and asked questions about something I think can be fixed. I do not read every message in the PN forums and have missed some prior messages on this topic. I thought a reasonable question, and potentially a quick and easy fix, was to ask about the scheduling of the deletion procedure.

Although I am unfamiliar with the platform that PN currently uses, I've been in IT/Telecomm/Cloud computing for decades and have an understanding of what's required. 

My educated guess is 're-deleting' the same image has begun a new cycle for the permanent deletion - then you've raised a complaint and a Moderator has addressed that complaint.

However . . .

The essence of your position is in the underlined bolded bit of the section I have quoted from your response. viz: "I don’t really care if my deleted image(s) remain visible to me while awaiting the delete proc to run."

And as there are many other urgent matters requiring attention, then for foreseeable future you should be content with deleting an image ONCE and then waiting for the cycle to permanently delete that image.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 hour ago, mickeysimpson said:

Where I see a diversion is where you describe what appears after I delete and image.

1)      My deleted image has no light purple surround or any indication whatsoever that the image has been deleted or awaiting permanent deletion by the automated – time delayed deletion proc. The deleted image appears just like one that I have not deleted.

2)      When I select my deleted image, I get a screen that states “Oops! You do not have permission to view this content” with a contact us button. I cannot take any action to manage the image at this point.

I don’t really care if my deleted image(s) remain visible to me while awaiting the delete proc to run. That said, I’ve done this multiple times after the migration, and my deleted image(s) have not permanently disappeared until a moderator or one of the volunteers ay my request has permanently deleted them. I don’t think that it’s reasonable for me or anyone to expect a moderator or a volunteer to delete images for me or anyone else.

One other point, by the way, - Only those with Moderator Traits can permanently delete the images - and all Moderators are volunteers.

WW

As another "by the way" -

Mickey - in my leisure time last evening, I interrogated the deleted images queue and there seems none deleted by you: I might have missed your User name, if I did sorry, it was late, past midnight.

Therefore - on the assumption that you have no Images recently deleted I reckon this matter is closed.

On the other hand  - if you did delete images recently - then let the cycle runs its course and don't re delete the same image.

Thanks.

WW   

15 minutes ago, William Michael said:

As another "by the way" -

Mickey - in my leisure time last evening, I interrogated the deleted images queue and there seems none deleted by you: I might have missed your User name, if I did sorry, it was late, past midnight.

Therefore - on the assumption that you have no Images recently deleted I reckon this matter is closed.

On the other hand  - if you did delete images recently - then let the cycle runs its course and don't re delete the same image.

Thanks.

WW   

Hi Michael.

To clarify, I do not delete images more than one time.

1)      Some months prior to the migration I deleted approximately 850 images as I was having serious health issues and did not want to leave it to my survivors.

2)      After the migration the images suddenly appeared. I took it upon myself to delete them and it appeared that the images were permanently gone.

3)      Later, the images appeared again. I deleted them again.

4)      Then yet again the images appeared, and I subsequently asked that the PN moderators/admins to delete them. That was performed to my satisfaction and the images have not been “restored” as of this date.

Since that rime I have only posted 2 images so that I could test the delete function to see how it worked. I deleted 1 of the images after it had been online for approximately 2 weeks. I did not log the day and time that I deleted the image, but I believe it to be 1 to 2 weeks. The deleted image is still there (Profile/Images) and I cannot do anything with it.

I accept the fact that an automated time delayed procedure runs to delete images that have been selected for deletion by the content creators.

My last note asked about the scheduling of that procedure.

That was not a complaint, it was a question – a suggestion for resolving a problem that I and others find troublesome.

You want suggestions. Great. Please look at the schedule as that should only take 5 minutes to determine 1) what the schedule is and 2) can the schedule be changed.

Again, I am happy to take this offline if you wish to discuss it further.