Recent Kodak Dektol

Has anyone here purchased and used this print developer in the last couple of months? The last batch I received two years ago was tainted with an ugly chocolate brown color. I tossed it out rather than risk using it.

A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

Update: KODAK PROFESSIONAL DEKTOL Developer / Packet to make 1 gal (CAT# 516 0270)

Recent batches of DEKTOL with date codes of August 2019 or later have been coming out darker than normal when mixed.
This is due to a non-photo active impurity. This has no impact on product performance.
We are working with our manufacturer to quickly bring the color back to its normal neutral appearance.

Here is the link to the "Chemicals" page that includes that info: https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/photographers-photo-printing/resources/chem-tech-info

I once had a packet of, I believe, Selectol where the powder was slightly brown, and when mixed came out very dark brown.

That went down the drain.  Well, it was some years old at the time.

Now, I suspect that it can be pretty dark, and still work fine.

And especially for print developer, where you can (more) easily reprint, than reshoot film.

But it does seem strange that the problem is known, and not being fixed.

(That is, as you note, a recall.)

-- glen

It was fixed two years ago.

Update 1/4/2021:   KODAK PROFESSIONAL DEKTOL Developer / Packet to make 1 gal  (CAT# 516 0270)  This problem has been resolved. 

in 2020 batches of DEKTOL with date codes of August 2019 or later have been coming out darker than normal when mixed.  This problem has been resolved. 
This is due to a non-photo active impurity. This has no impact on product performance.
We are working with our manufacturer to quickly bring the color back to its normal neutral appearance.

6 hours ago, Bettendorf said:

"We are working with our manufacturer to quickly bring the color back to its normal neutral appearance.'

That sounds like an ongoing process, rather than a finalised resolution. Even if it was nearly two years ago. 

Is there a more recent statement from Kodak-Alaris on the subject? 

And obviously, Kodak are farming out their products to 3rd parties, so they have no direct Q.C. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

• 9 months later...

I have experienced Dektol of the 2020 batch, mixed before the expiring date (2023, cannot remember the month).  

It came out dark chocolate, making it unusable. The excuse "This has no impact on product performance" is simply ridiculous, just because 1. the solution is such dark that you cannot evaluate the print submerged in the tray and 2. the paper result stained with the developer.

So for this quality reason, and given the crazy pricing policy Kodak branded products have around here, I have had to change to another brand.

Edited by jose_angel