Nature Unlimited, 6 January 2023

ShunCheung

This is the additional weekly image thread for the Nature Forum. While images posted to this thread should still be nature in theme, it may contain a small amount of human-made objects and therefore less restricted than the Monday in Nature threads. Please see this discussion for more details: Alternative weekly thread in Nature forum

Each participant please post no more than just one image per weekly thread. Many members will appreciate any information you are willing or able to provide regarding location, shooting process, exposure settings, equipment, and information on the subject(s), including scientific and/or common names.

It has been raining like crazy here in northern California so that I have few really new images. Here is another Tule Elk image from a couple of weeks ago.

Elks_8004.jpg

• Like 11

I think by 2007, the D3 and D300’s sensors were producing very fine images. I had moved to digital earlier with the D2X in 2005. That is fine at low ISOs, but ISO 800 is already poor and that is the maximum. Memory card write speed was poor in that era.

The D90 has a similar sensor as the D300 and should be fine. My elk image was also captured at Point Reyes in Marine County, California, and I typically use lenses over 400mm there. Those elks are shy; if you approach too close, they would run away. But of course because of their size, they can inflict serious injuries on humans.