Nikon Wednesday 2022: #51

Matt Laur

Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: Guidelines for Nikon Forum Wednesday Image Threads. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

I could have sworn there are 52 weeks in the year, but somehow we only got ourselves 51 Nikon Wednesdays. A quirk of the planet's trip around the sun and our strange but more or less useful calendar, I suppose. I stepped outside to see what the starts had to say about it, and there was Orion wishing us all a Happy New Year, and playing hard to get with the lens I was using. Catch you all on the other side, in 2023!
2022-12-28_orion.thumb.jpg.e9de081d63f259024c31583e148fce4d.jpg
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, brian_niemi1 said:

1961982051_P40(3)-Enhanced.jpg.fad91dc619248bbaf28a2b7706c23250.jpg

FM.  50mm f/1.4

Must be a Union 76 gasoline station in the San Francisco?? Chinatown, around 1980?

It has been a long while since gasoline price was that low, and those blue California license plates are rare nowadays. Since there seems to be a hill, I guess it is San Francisco rather than Los Angeles Chinatown, which is more in a flat area. BTW, Nikon introduced the FM in 1977.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

Must be a Union 76 gasoline station in the San Francisco?? Chinatown, around 1980?

It has been a long while since gasoline price was that low, and those blue California license plates are rare nowadays. Since there seems to be a hill, I guess it is San Francisco rather than Los Angeles Chinatown, which is more in a flat area. BTW, Nikon introduced the FM in 1977.

Very Good, Shun!!  You are correct on all accounts!  It was a Union 76 gas station in San Francisco's Chinatown.  The year was 1982.

Both of my cars had the blue license plates.  That is about the time California went from a six-digit license plate to a seven-digit license plate.  The first digit on my plates was a "1" and now the current plates have a first digit of "9."  That is a lot of license plates through the years.

7 minutes ago, brian_niemi1 said:

Very Good, Shun!!  You are correct on all accounts!  It was a Union 76 gas station in San Francisco's Chinatown.  The year was 1982.

Both of my cars had the blue license plates.  That is about the time California went from a six-digit license plate to a seven-digit license plate.  The first digit on my plates was a "1" and now the current plates have a first digit of "9."  That is a lot of license plates through the years.

Good, I guess I can play detective on TV. 🙂 I think I have seen that gas station back then. It says "seven six" rather than seventy-six in Chinese. I had my first car in 1979 and it had a blue license plate. When my wife had her first job, she bought a new car in 1984 with the current-style white license plate 2BW.... And then we moved to the East Coast for over a decade before returning to California.

12 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

I think it may be earlier than 1980. There are only two grades of gasoline - Regular and Ethyl - listed on the signs. There are two other signs the proclaiming the station is "Full Serve" meaning Full Service; you cannot pump the gasoline yourself. Assuming this is not Oregon... So San Francisco, Full Service and Regular for 1.21 a gallon would suggest late 70's or very early 80's. The blue plates were introduced in 1970 and were issued until 1982 so not much help there. Now, if the OP could make a high resolution scan and read the year tag on the plates, we would know.

Oops, I see Brian has replied and set the date as 1982. 

Edited by bgelfand
Correction

13 hours ago, bgelfand said:

I think it may be earlier than 1980. There are only two grades of gasoline - Regular and Ethyl - listed on the signs. There are two other signs the proclaiming the station is "Full Serve" meaning Full Service; you cannot pump the gasoline yourself. Assuming this is not Oregon... So San Francisco, Full Service and Regular for 1.21 a gallon would suggest late 70's or very early 80's. The blue plates were introduced in 1970 and were issued until 1982 so not much help there. Now, if the OP could make a high resolution scan and read the year tag on the plates, we would know.

Oops, I see Brian has replied and set the date as 1982. 

In May, June 1978, I drove across the US from California to Massachusetts with a couple of friends. Gasoline was around 45 to 50 cents a gallon on that trip. That was why I thought the picture was captured a bit after 1978, but still, gasoline prices went up rapidly around that time. In those days we still use gasoline pumps with mechanical dials and there was no setting for gasoline over $1/gallon. When gas was finally over $1, I recall they set the price to half as much per gallon and then you pay double the price indicated.

As I said my wife bought her first new car in 1984 with the current-style California license plates, but older blue plates were still very common for many more years.