Wednesday Landscapes, 21 December 2022

sallymack

Because of the earthquake in northern California power is out in much of the area where Leslie Reid lives. I'm opening this thread in her absence and wishing her well.

Here's a winter scene at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge.

tree3-2022-12-19-22281.jpg

Edited by sallymack
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, luis triguez said:

I hope Leslie will be back with us soon.

Sally, beautiful picture

Hi, Luis, I hope Leslie is okay and will be back soon. There are widespread power outages in the area.

A compliment from you is a compliment, indeed! Thank you.

• Like 1

Phew! It was indeed the 2:35 AM earthquake--I got power back last night, but didn't get phone and internet back until a few minutes ago. Quite a ride--about 18 seconds of intense shaking, complicated by a 41-lb object landing on my bed right next to my head: my Australian Shepherd evidently made a snap decision that the safest place to be was lying on my face. No damages in my neighborhood, though a few things fell off shelves.

So first, a rose for Sally for starting the thread--Many thanks!

PS01-IMG_0778.thumb.jpg.63f23096e5233cce39e708aa6e63816d.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Leslie Reid said:

Phew! It was indeed the 2:35 AM earthquake--I got power back last night, but didn't get phone and internet back until a few minutes ago. Quite a ride--about 18 seconds of intense shaking, complicated by a 41-lb object landing on my bed right next to my head: my Australian Shepherd evidently made a snap decision that the safest place to be was lying on my face. No damages in my neighborhood, though a few things fell off shelves.

So first, a rose for Sally for starting the thread--Many thanks!

You're welcome. So glad you're okay and had minimal damage. As if an earthquake isn't bad enough, power outages can be brutal. Your dog coming to you for protection--aww.

• Like 1

BTW, in response to a question I got--the image I posted is of the little memorial lighthouse at Trinidad, CA, with the sun behind it (I edited the post to include the location info). We're looking south toward the epicenter of the 20 Dec earthquake, the infamous "Mendocino Triple Junction" between the Pacific, North American, and Gorda plates--possibly the most seismically active site in the continental US. But it's not as dramatic as JDMvW's New Madrid Fault Zone, where a huge quake happened at a site that shouldn't have been active at all.

• Like 2