Looking for Alternatives.

Sanford

42 minutes ago, WJT said:

What would be really helpful here is a complete updated user manual for this site.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. I don't think Fiverr really meant to take over Photo.net. They wanted CreativeLive's range of courses, which make money. Photo.net was an old stray dog living in CreativeLive's garage, and Fiverr didn't have the heart to kick it out in the cold. They've put a blanket down, and a little food, but I don't think we'll be sleeping in the house any time soon. It seems the site is being run by two men and a cat, one day a week, plus the member-volunteers. Fiverr haven't even put a link to their own stuff here; their name is hardly mentioned anywhere; where CreativeLive had a banner on every forum page.

But there's nothing to stop us posting How-to threads in the Photo.net Site Help forum. I recall something like that being done on the old platform. Even Flickr, which seems to have a lot of staff, encourages you to try the Flickr Help Forum (i.e. other users) first.

• Like 1

I too will no longer be posting here as the whole gallery thing is hopeless. I'd delete the lot I have here, but probably won't because it will be too much work. I'm expecting go to Flickr. I have a free account at present. The presentation of shots is much better there anyway. I'll still be on Photonet, but no photos from me. I can't believe how poor the site is here even to login. Rather pathetic after all this time. No one wants to fix it either.

• Like 1
Robin Smith

For the moment, at least, we would appear to be mostly on our own.  A lot still left to do that may or may not be done.  Publishing tips, responding where there is knowledge of how to get things done in the current environment are critical pieces.  I have a few more tools than I had in the past, and spend more time, particularly on spammers.  I don't see a lot of resources being applied, so at the moment, we are in Neutral.  Making the best of the situation is all there is.

T
My biggest beef on the "new" site is when in your photos or anyone's photos, the arrows navigate into the category instead of the particular user's photos.  In Flickr when you visit a  subject groups like street, or Fuji XF23, etc or in an individual user, clicking on the navigation arrows stays in the person or group you re in.  So much easier then here.

I haven't seen anyone comment that they like how the navigation is here, and I haven't heard from any of the p.net staff (not moderators) respond to the numerous comments, which is disturbing unless I missed it.

• Like 2

I don't think there is one photography site that fits all needs.

I never really used the galleries on photo.net, so I don't know how they fall short now compared to the previous version. I am certainly confused when trying to figure out how to control things on my profile.

I do find that including images in forum threads is very easy after the upgrade, at least those images I host on Flickr (free).

Flickr on the other hand has terrible forum/discussion functionality - at least for the subjects that interest me -  they are generally stone dead.

I never had the need to make a coherent presentation of my more dedicated work for internet display - nobody would care anyway - but if I did, I would probably just self publish on my own domain for full control. It wouldn't be that many photos worth showing after all.

• Like 3
Niels

31 minutes ago, NHSN said:

It wouldn't be that many photos worth showing after all.

That’s true for me as well. My gallery here was always limited to about 25-40 photos for several reasons. 1) editing down to a cared-for, coherent presentation is a worthwhile, fun, and insight-providing task. 2) Ease of management. 3) That’s my suspected level of attention span for most viewers. 

Any gallery I’ve had here was for PN eyes. For friends, family, models, and unknowns, I maintained an outside, personal website. These days, they’re cheap and easy to create and manage. Given how it operates, I would never rely on PN to maintain a portfolio I cared about. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

53 minutes ago, NHSN said:

I don't think there is one photography site that fits all needs.

Niels, we have both been here for a long time--I was "Pragmatist" before becoming PapaTango in 2004.  In that time we have seen this place go from NO PICTURES, through a very controversial photo rating process--and now the third major overhaul of PN in less than a decade.

Our tech boards have always been top-notch--and many denizens active on other boards (as example Alan Marcus here, aka Photo Engineer on APUG).  It is interesting that we have always had two distinct types that post images.  Truly remarkable things in Galleries (which were seen on the front end and critique sections), and we the more humble crowd in the forums!  So there were meaty-bites for all.  

My take is that is what has always made this place special--is its Neapolitan character--and lively community of diverse image makers.

53 minutes ago, NHSN said:

I never had the need to make a coherent presentation of my more dedicated work for internet display - nobody would care anyway - but if I did, I would probably just self publish on my own domain for full control. It wouldn't be that many photos worth showing after all.

There are two main reasons one puts up any sort of independent photographic website.  Sensibly, one is in business and it is their marketing portal--and actively promoted as such.  Otherwise, it is a labor of love or hubris--and likely a healthy mix of both.  I stand convicted...

Edited by PapaTango
Evil dwarves threatened to steal my mithril...
  • Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

11 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

If you get an answer from anyone, please let us know!

As a former website developer, I create and publish my own personal interest sites.

I got a response and a case number, it's being "looked into" by Edwin. (8665539)

Edited by Sanford

Interesting to read the evolution that long-term members are going through - I'm not surprised. I cleaned out my PN galleries sometime last year but continue to lurk around the forums here as it is still a great photography discussion site although nothing like the halcyon days of yore.  At the same time I stopped doing "work" as it has been defined for the past 50+ years, and focused on photography. After trying several different things, including Flickr, I decided that if I was going to sell prints and digital images that I had to control the environment, so built a website and have focused on that as a marketing tool and store-front, as @PapaTangoindicated above. 

One other thing I make use of is Google photos, using albums to create portfolios for any special interest that comes along. I get annoyed regularly that you can't control the seqence of photos in an album, but if you keep them small enough to be useful it's quite an effective way to answer those "what do you photograph" questions that @Sanfordmentioned. 

https://davecavanphotographics.com/

• Like 1
  • Excellent! 1

2 hours ago, Sanford said:

Fiverr got back to me and they are saying they have NO connection to photo.net but will check further.

My guess is that the entire Fiverr/Creative Live/Photo Net empire is highly compartmentalized--and the support team for one knows little to nothing about the other.

Matt Jensen is indeed part of Fiverr, and for more than 6 years has been Team Lead for Digital Community Engagement Programs.  He is located in San Francisco.  Here is his LinkedIn profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jensenmatt/

He has also written quite a few info-marketing articles for a Fiverr blog.  See here:

https://blog.fiverr.com/author/matt-jensen

So obviously, he works for Fiverr...  This does not seem like the sort of person that would just ghost a project...

Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

On 11/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, WJT said:

I can not say if this is totally correct or even if it helps the OP's problem but in any case, regarding our personal galleries that existed on the old site it seems that now we have ALBUMS.  I was able to move several of my uploaded images, as a test, to a newly created album. I was able to name this album Flowers-Trees-Gardens. The moved images now appear in this album similarly to how they apperaed in the gallery that was on the old site.  In addition, the albums appear under a new tab on my profile page :  Activity, Images, Albums. Regards.

Hi @WJT,

Your albums look great! Would you explain step-by-step how you created your Albums?

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

Sure, I simply selected the image and then moved it to the album.

I have a strong feeling that this site is still being updated and tweeked. It may take some time before everything is as it should be and that a good mesure of patience should rule the day.

• Like 1