Photography is a Rescue Mission

Where is my mate, Fred.? A rock of P/N.

Highly intelligent, struggles intellectually, but a savior, to simple minded folk.    

Those simple-minded folk, that do not understand a lot, but love the colour red, like my mate Sandy. Bless him.

Bless, the simple-minded folk. They just do not understand stuff. Bless them, in their naivety. Not their fault,but the lack of education.

Just now, Allen Herbert said:

Highly intelligent, struggles intellectually, but a savior, to simple minded folk.    

Those simple-minded folk, that do not understand a lot, but love the colour red, like my mate Sandy. Bless him.

Bless, the simple-minded folk. They just do not understand stuff. Bless them, in their naivety. Not their fault,but the lack of education.

Bless, the simple-minded folk. They just do not understand stuff. Bless them, in their naivety. Not their fault, but the lack of intelligent  education.

Then you start a rescue operation. Maybe you start by rescuing a fleeting moment from your reactions to a scene"

The thing is, Tony, I think we would all like to see, how you rescued that fleeting moment. We would, especially me.

I've done, my best. to support you with photographs, but methinks it's your time to step and show us.

Waiting with anticipation of photographic pleasure. /enjoyment.

Thanks

Then you start a rescue operation. Maybe you start by rescuing a fleeting moment from your reactions to a scene"

The thing is, Tony, I think we would all like to see, how you rescued that fleeting moment. We would, especially me.

I've done, my best. to support you with photographs, but methinks it's your time to step and show us.

Waiting with anticipation of photographic pleasure. /enjoyment.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

As an old guy who shot chromes slides, there wasn't any cropping or editing back then.  The slides came back from the developer mounted and ready for projection.  Even negative film came back already printed on 4x6 prints with no editing.  The only time I edited was when I was englarging for let's say a 5x7 or 8x10 so cropping was done.  But that's it.  Of course, today, with digital and scans, I do edit more.  But frankly, I don't knw if my pictures are any better especially considering the time I spend on them compared to yesterday.

Slides imposed a discipline to try to get it right in the camera.  I tend to shoot today the same way.

Edited by AlanKlein
  • Like 1

Plenty of people still prefer to drive stick shifts. Most have adapted to automatics. Every driver knows the advantages and disadvantages of each and I don’t know too many that go around waxing on about their choice. As the ad so succinctly puts it, Just Do It. 

It doesn’t occur to me that this thread was started to push a digital/film discussion but rather to offer some personal insights into and begin a discussion on the process of bringing a photograph to life, no matter how it’s done. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Well, I have loved and enjoyed photography since I was a boy.  Bought my first darkroom from a neighbor kid with proceeds of my paper route.  Continued for a very long time.  I went Digital a comparatively short number of years ago.  Still have all my fine old film cameras and a lot of lenses, which I use on rare occasions, a blast of nostalgia, and reinforcement that old hard learned skills still remain. Of course, my location, way out in rural America gives me limited options for processors.  The most telling thing, a nice compact darkroom remains in the box room in moving boxes unused.  I have a place for it, a table in a planned location, but digital is just so easy and convenient.  I greatly appreciate film, and it probably will always do some when in a nostalgic mood, but the past is what it was, and the future seems increasingly indecipherable, so I believe I'll just hang with the current mix and methods.  At some point in time I think most of us come up with our own perfect personal answers.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sandy Vongries said:

the past is what it was

+1

So true. And that can sometimes be different than how I think about it or remember it. There’s the “raw” experience I had and there’s my memory of it and the two aren’t necessarily the same. The memory is like my post-processed version of the original experience. The photo, even out of the camera is, likewise, my momentary perspective on the scene, already filtered through my own field of vision and proclivities. Neither my memory nor my picture of it may actually be the past. So the past both is and is elusive.

Thus the potential beauty (or ugliness) and mystery of nostalgia.

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"