Help Please - Severe color fringing with Canon EOS 90D

pjduncan

I have a new Canon EOS 90D, as upgrade from Rebel.  I've had numerous photos where there is severe color fringing, clearly not just lens chromatic aberration.  Can someone clue me in as to what is happening and how to avoid it?  It is a new camera and lens.  Is there possibility something is defective?  Many thanks.

IMG_2253 (2).JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

Lens and settings you are using for the posted images?  Are those images straight out of the camera, or have they been processed?  Since you have upgraded from a Rebel, do you still have the kit lens that came with that camera (or another lens), and have you tried it on the D90 and obtained the same or different results?

Edited by Ken Katz

It's a Tamron 16-300mm.  It's the jpg straight from the camera.  I had one image like this a few days ago.  Today I was at a nature preserve and shot about 250 shots.  I think three were like this.  Many good shots between the three showing this problem.  In looking over the bad images, the commonality appears to be that they were taken at the far wide angle end of zoom and are images with significant contrast in brightness... i.e. bright sky showing through trees in shadows.

I have shot with another fixed 100mm with no bad images, but have shot 10 times as many with this zoom.

Thanks so much for help with this.

Just for amusement for taking time to view... here's a good shot from today.  Little critter being gobbled is a lizard.  Same lens and camera.

IMG_2121 (2).JPG

Edited by pjduncan

It apparently is bad lens.  Yes, it's only a few pics but that's because I've mainly been shooting macro and wildlife shots in telephoto range.  Looking back through pics it was all the images I took at extreme wide angle range of lens.  Just did test indoors with flash.  At 16mm, 18mm, 20mm there is severe fringing.  At 22mm it goes away entirely.  It's purely dependent on zoom setting.  Must be one of the elements doesn't move properly at wide angle end.

Very interesting issue.  But time to return the lens.

This lens has been discontinued with no apparent upgrade/replacement.  Maybe the design has "problems". 

Thanks all for suggestions.

When you see the issue at WA settings, try taking a similar photo at a mid focal length (like 50mm).  According to DP Review the lens (assuming you the model they tested), has significant CA at the short end and the long end of the zoom range.  You also have 33mp, which is a whole lot of resolution and pixel density.  Would do this test to get comfortable that what you are seeing is a lens phenomena and not the camera/sensor.

Here is the DP Review article:  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/tamron-16-300mm-f-3-5-6-3-di-ii-vc-pzd-macro

I had read reviews and learned of chromatic aberration for his one, but that's the type that is at edges of images and only if you really start looking at pixel closeups.  This is way, way worse than what reviews indicate.

I've taken a lot of shots at 300mm and while I haven't examined with fine tooth comb for chromatic aberration, the shots look very good (for a sub $1000 zoom lens).  It really would be a great travel lens if not for this series defect.  I'll probably try a replacement before giving up on this model.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:25 PM, pjduncan said:

It's a Tamron 16-300mm.  It's the jpg straight from the camera.  I had one image like this a few days ago.  Today I was at a nature preserve and shot about 250 shots.  I think three were like this.  Many good shots between the three showing this problem.  In looking over the bad images, the commonality appears to be that they were taken at the far wide angle end of zoom and are images with significant contrast in brightness... i.e. bright sky showing through trees in shadows.

I have shot with another fixed 100mm with no bad images, but have shot 10 times as many with this zoom.

Thanks so much for help with this.

Just for amusement for taking time to view... here's a good shot from today.  Little critter being gobbled is a lizard.  Same lens and camera.

IMG_2121 (2).JPG

I had the same problem with my Tamron lens and 90D. The lens was still under warranty so I sent it and the 90D to Tamron for calibration. Problem solved. It's not an unknown problem with the Tamron's and 90D's.  That lens is on my camera all the time! 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, katsone said:

I had the same problem with my Tamron lens and 90D. The lens was still under warranty so I sent it and the 90D to Tamron for calibration. Problem solved. It's not an unknown problem with the Tamron's and 90D's.  That lens is on my camera all the time! 

Did you try your lens on other bodies and determine that this is a problem that only manifests with the 90D?