Super White and Arctic White, what is the difference?

JEM5

Hello,
I'm currently setting up my first small studio for filming and aims for a seamless paper background that is as white as possible. I'm choosing between a Super White paper background from Colorama and a Arctic White paper background also from Colorama (both backgrounds available locally where I live, and I will have a GVM 1500d light shining directly at the background to make the white background brighter). I'm leaning toward the Super White background, but I'm a little worried that it will be a little too white and will reflect some of the white back on the subject and outshine the contours of the face (I guess I'm not that interested in High Key if I understand the term correctly, as I want some contrast on the subject's face, though still with as white background as possible.) On the other hand, I've read that Arctic White could be a little blue and in some cases reflect back a slightly blue tinge on the subject.
Based on your expertise, what do you think would suit my setup best, Super White or Arctic White?
Thanks in advance for the help!
/Jonas

I can't answer your question about these two paper colors, but if you're lighting the background separately from your subject then you can make it as white as you need to by adding more light to the background relative to your subject.  As for spill from the background, just make sure that you have some distance between the subject and background and that problem should be minimized if not eliminated. My experience with Savage seamless papers is that colors vary somewhat from one batch to another but their Super White has been quite consistent over the last thirty years.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:07 AM, AJG said:

I can't answer your question about these two paper colors, but if you're lighting the background separately from your subject then you can make it as white as you need to by adding more light to the background relative to your subject.  As for spill from the background, just make sure that you have some distance between the subject and background and that problem should be minimized if not eliminated. My experience with Savage seamless papers is that colors vary somewhat from one batch to another but their Super White has been quite consistent over the last thirty years.

Yes I will be lighting the background separately from the subject. I have three GVM 1500d led lights and will use either one, or two of them, to light the background. I will try to have some distance between subject and background, though my studio will be rather small so I might not be able to get that much of a distance. My plan is to have the subject (usually myself) actually sitting on the white background and will try to light it in a way that makes it seem as if I'm floating in an abstract space of whiteness.  
It's good to hear that Savage Super White has been quite consistent, hopefully the Super White from Colorama would be as well (Savage Super White is not available to purchase where I live).

I assume that super white might be whiter than arctic white which may be somewhat warmer, but this is a guess. If you ever try to match whites when painting a wall, it can be difficult. I agree though you can make your background the "right kind" of white using the color balance tools, so you can pick colder or warmer whites.

• Like 1
Robin Smith

On 10/25/2022 at 8:49 PM, Robin Smith said:

I assume that super white might be whiter than arctic white which may be somewhat warmer, but this is a guess. If you ever try to match whites when painting a wall, it can be difficult. I agree though you can make your background the "right kind" of white using the color balance tools, so you can pick colder or warmer whites.

Thanks, I'll look into using the color balance tools. I'm also thinking about experimenting with a green chromakey background and editing in the white later in a video editing software. My intention is actually to have the subject sitting on the background itself and creating the impression of floating around in something like an abstract space of whiteness all around.