Unusual Light Leak

The spot has a fairly sharp edge on the cassette side, and not so sharp on the other side.

That looks like it was done when the film was close to, but not all the way, out of the

cassette. And then wrapped around something else, or otherwise covered up the

rest of the roll.

Depending on how the processing is done, it could unload the cassette that way.

Though as previously noted, that often leaves sprocket shadows, which we don't see.

If you really believe that it is processing, you could ask them about it.

Maybe they were hoping you wouldn't notice.

-- glen

Which way round does the F1 wind the film Chuck?

If it winds emulsion out onto the take-up spool, then that would be another pointer to fogging through the back of the film during processing - or exposure to a red/orange safelight.

But if the camera winds emulsion in, then it could still have been fogged in the camera... somehow.

Even more unlikely would be fogging during manufacture. Unlikely, but possible. Hey, it's film!

Also, this:Screenshot_20220919_124409.thumb.jpg.082460715ba11f1bcd9731ffdbd46b83.jpg

Looks distinctly like dried water or processing scum on the surface of the film. If it was on the scanner glass, I would expect the speckles to look darker than the film density, not lighter.

Which way round does the F1 wind the film Chuck?

If it winds emulsion out onto the take-up spool, then that would be another pointer to fogging through the back of the film during processing - or exposure to a red/orange safelight.

But if the camera winds emulsion in, then it could still have been fogged in the camera... somehow.

(snip)

From the pictures and instructions in the manual, it looks like emulsion in.

Many older Canon models wind emulsion out.

As well as I remember, the Leica models that early Canons were modeled after (copied)

wind emulsion out.

The QL models wind emulsion in, as that is the way QL works. Maybe that was the transition.

-- glen

• 4 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, chuck909 said:

Just to show that it was a filthy flat-bed scan: (and it still needs a little more cleaning)

xyz.jpg.dd81d5317aaed12251d04a6cdab8f37e.jpg

Hey I work in a photolab and we've kinda been having this issue. Just curious if you ever found a solution to it?

Thanks, 

Igor

On 2/2/2023 at 6:44 PM, IgorYugo said:

Hey I work in a photolab and we've kinda been having this issue. Just curious if you ever found a solution to it?

Thanks, 

Igor

No, but you can send me a private message if you want to tell me which lad you work at.