Unusual Light Leak

Any ideas as to why a light leak like this would show up at the end of the roll only? The light leak (if that is really what it is) goes all the way across the film including the sprockets. As you can see, the very end of the roll - about 1/3rd of a frame - was not fogged. Back was not opened and no lenses were change. The rest of the roll is fine as was the roll shot just before this. Camera was a Canon New F1 w FD28mm f2.0. ll.thumb.jpg.fb745d97cf3d4b4324d74d44582de776.jpg Processing was commercial using dip and dunk

Just a guess, but was the camera opened and quickly closed before the film was rewound into the cartridge? That's why it looks like to me. And if your film usually looks this filthy when it comes back from this lab I would find another one.

Just a guess, but was the camera opened and quickly closed before the film was rewound into the cartridge? That's why it looks like to me. And if your film usually looks this filthy when it comes back from this lab I would find another one.

No, camera was not opened. The film is clean, but the scanner is a bit dusty

Back was opened one or two shots before the end. Were you guarding it the whole time?

Around my neck the entire time. But yes, if I didn't know better, that's what I'd think, too. Or, if it had been opened, I think it would have been a much more sever fogging, but there is still some image on those negs.

Edited by chuck909

I first looked at it on my phone, so couldn't see the image though the fog.

That is pretty close to the spacing between the cassette and the take-up spool.

The film mostly keeps light away from deeper on the take-up spool, but a little

leaks through, just like it shows. Also, sharp edge on the cassette side,

fuzzy edge on the take-up side.

Image through fog depends on how bright the area was when partially opened.

-- glen

All I was trying to say Chuck, is that you may never get to the bottom of that 'fogging', if that's indeed what it was. And it's probably a futile quest.

However, I'll add that the colour of the fogging is unlike a white-light fog. The greenish cast would seem to indicate exposure to red or orange light. Or a chemical contamination of the film during processing.

Film offers so many opportunities to go wrong, that without being present at each and every step of the process, diagnosis of faults is often just guesswork or impossible.

• Like 1

All I was trying to say Chuck, is that you may never get to the bottom of that 'fogging', if that's indeed what it was. And it's probably a futile quest.

However, I'll add that the colour of the fogging is unlike a white-light fog. The greenish cast would seem to indicate exposure to red or orange light. Or a chemical contamination of the film during processing.

Film offers so many opportunities to go wrong, that without being present at each and every step of the process, diagnosis of faults is often just guesswork or impossible.

I haven't thought about this for a while, but there is a certain color cast that comes from exposing through the back.

There are some who find this interesting, and I believe they sell rolls specifically for that use.

Redscale - Wikipedia

But yes, it tends to make the result look red, so the negatives would be greenish.

-- glen

There are some who find this interesting, and I believe they sell rolls specifically for that use.

Redscale - Wikipedia

Why the **** would anyone bother to do that? When they can get an almost identical effect with an Amber filter and under exposure. Or just by beggering about in post with a digital image.

It's not like they're going to sell actual prints; they're just going to post digitised examples of such perversions on the net.

Also, Chuck's film looks like it was exposed after the still spooled film was removed from the cassette. That would explain a strip of fog preceded by an edge fog sneaking past the rolled-up film onto the sprocketed edge. But no sprocket 'shadows'? Very mysterious!

He did say "dip and dunk".

I wondered a little about the usual minilab that pulls film out of the cassette, and into the series of chemical baths.

There is a green spot by frame 33, about a full take-up spool circumference along.

I don't have a new (or old) F1 to look at.

OK, I did download the manual and look at the pictures.

For one, I was wondering if it is QL, which would affect the light pattern.

But also, I now remember that this is, like the Nikon F, one where the back comes

completely off, not just opens like a door.

Then there is a note: "Never remove the rewind coupler cover from the baseplate when film is loaded."

It seems that light can get in without actually removing the back.

I wouldn't guess this pattern, though.

-- glen

This looks to me happend in processing. Has this happened with other rolls from this same camera, or just this one ? Some images show this green in near the center of the images. My money is on the processing.

I bought the camera new way back when and have put more than a few rolls through. NEVER had this happen before, and not on any roll I put through the camera after.

• Like 1

Just so you know, the re-wind coupler was NOT removed, nor was it loose. I am wonder if Joe, in this instance, may have hit upon the possibility that it was something in the processing. (dip and dunk at a very well-known lab)

At least the way I understand dip and dunk, it wouldn't do that, but maybe not everyone does it the same way.

It seems more obvious for the ones that pull the film out, and straight into the chemistry.

There is a little door that is closed over the film cartridge.

Some years ago, I had a roll done at one of those places with a minilab. It seems that they didn't

have the little door all the way closed, and the machine was beeping, but they still didn't figure

it out. So the usual, replace the film and developing applied.

-- glen

As others have said, my guess is it happened during processing.

But I can think of how it might have resulted from user error...

After pressing the rewind button, OP started to crank the film rewind. Just as the first third of the last frame entered the canister, OP was hit on the head and briefly blacked out. OP's crank hand uncontrollably twitched and OP accidentally pushed down on the back lock button and pulled up on the rewind crank, opening the back. OP then regained consciousness in an instant and instinctively squeezed the camera because it was falling from his hand which closed the back, thereby saving the rest of the film. He then continued winding unaware of what had happened.

Or....

There was a problem during processing.

:D

• Like 1

As others have said, my guess is it happened during processing.

But I can think of how it might have resulted from user error...

After pressing the rewind button, OP started to crank the film rewind. Just as the first third of the last frame entered the canister, OP was hit on the head and briefly blacked out. OP's crank hand uncontrollably twitched and OP accidentally pushed down on the back lock button and pulled up on the rewind crank, opening the back. OP then regained consciousness in an instant and instinctively squeezed the camera because it was falling from his hand which closed the back, thereby saving the rest of the film. He then continued winding unaware of what had happened.

:D

Now that I think about it, I remember that the bass player in the band DID make a sudden move in my direction. That, and I have a strange bump on my head.

Edited by chuck909

xx.jpg.3df8a69d4d5651aadcc818020d0b193e.jpg

However the dirt on the film happened, this was not done in a 'clean' lab. Some cleaning and more careful practice in developing and scanning are called for.

The dirt was on the scanner I used. This scan from the lab I used

Edited by chuck909