Where did I go wrong?

I've been processing 35mm and large format for decades. I just (tried to) process my first roll of medium format, and I ran into a bunch of problems which don't seem to make any sense, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light, no pun intended.

I put everything in my changing bag to load the daylight tank. I unrolled the film from the reel to get to the end, cut an end off about an inch back from the beginning, then I peeled the backing back and cut the end away from the film. I loaded the film on the reel; it was very difficult, and that should have been my first clue. I processed the reel, and what I had loaded was the backing.

Luckily for me, I'd left everything in the changing bag, so I put the reel and tank back in after drying them and loaded the film. I thought. Here's where it gets strange. I had loaded another piece of backing. So then I opened up the change bag and there was MORE film AND backing.

What in the world did I do?

The only thing I can think of --- Medium format film size 220 is the same width as 620/120 film but it is double length 1440mm (56.7 inches), twice the number of frames.

Unlike 120, there is no backing paper behind the film itself, just a leader and a trailer. This allows a longer film on the same spool, but as a result there are no printed frame numbers for old cameras that have red window as frame indicator. (Moreover, light from the window would fog the film.) Also, since the film alone is thinner than a film with a backing paper.

Edited by alan_marcus|2

Do not cut the film! No need at all to do that. It will tear away from the backing paper through the middle of the sticky-tape that attaches it quite easily.

But how you can confuse film and backing paper is a mystery to me. They feel quite different.

My method for reel loading:

Put the tank and developing reel in the changing bag, noting the orientation of the reel, so that you can find the start - middle clip for an SS reel, or spiral opening for (urrrgh!) a plastic tank.

Zip up the bag making sure the flaps are in the right position.

Remove a luminous watch if you wear one.

Slit the tape sealing the exposed film roll in the light.

Holding the roll closed, push your arm and film roll into the sleeve of the bag.

With both arms in the bag, carefully start to unroll the backing paper, letting it roll back up as it comes off the reel. At some point, only about 9" in, you'll feel the start of the film. For 120 film, this end will not be attached to the backing paper - 220 film will.

Assuming 120 film: Allow the film to roll up separately as you continue to unspool both film and paper. Such that you create two rolls; one of paper and the other of film, side by side of each other.

After another ~ 3ft of unspooling, you'll come to the sticky-tape holding the film to the paper. Grab the sticky tape where it joins the film with the thumb and finger of one hand and fold back the paper from the join with the other hand. (You'll know it's the paper, because it continues beyond the film). Tear the paper from the film - the thin sticky-tape will either rip down the middle or come away from the paper. Either is OK.

Push the paper roll and spool to one side, and retain the film roll in one hand.

Proceed with loading the reel, either feeding it gently into the centre of an SS reel, or struggling to push it against friction into a plastic reel. Whichever.

The procedure for 220 film differs after 6" of unspooling. The backing paper finishes there and you need to tear it away from the film and push it aside. Then continue rolling the film up for about 6 foot until you come to another strip of sticky-tape and more paper. You know the routine by now; rip the paper and spool away from the film. Retain the film, discard the paper and spool. Not the other way round! :eek:

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

First, thanks for the feedback.

Here's what I did the first time, after I had everything in the bag. I pulled the file film away from the take-up reel. I didn't find any natural separated, so that's where I cut it. I pulled the outer material, which I assumed was the backing, away, I unreeled it all the way to the end, then cut it away there. Then I started loading the developing reel from the takeup reel.

On the the second reel, I guess :-)

Then I started loading the developing reel from the takeup reel.

Nooooo!

You must first neatly take the film away from its backing paper and the film spool (take up reel). Otherwise you're just going to have a tangle of film, paper and spool to sort out by fumbling in the dark.

And the use of scissors, knives or other sharp objects in a fabric changing bag is a bit of a no-no. All the adhesive tape used on film (that I've yet encountered) is quite easily torn with a small amount of force and maybe a slight knick with a fingernail.

You don't even have to remove the tape before processing. It's designed to withstand the chemicals without contaminating them. You can cut it away after the film is fixed and dried.

I didn't find any natural separated

It's there. You just need to develop (sorry!) your 'Braille' skills.

Anyway, now you have a ruined film and backing paper to get the feel of in the dark. :oops:

When you unroll it, the film has more curl. It will roll on the outside of the paper. Until you get to the tape at the start of the roll.

If you feel for the film, it won't be there.

Feel for it on the outside. Then roll it separate from the paper.

When you get to the tape, peel or tear.

-- glen

Nooooo!

(snip)

And the use of scissors, knives or other sharp objects in a fabric changing bag is a bit of a no-no.

(snip)

I have some little kid scissors, with rounded points and plastic blades.

Sharp enough to cut film, but won't poke through anything.

Round point metal would probably not be so hard to use.

-- glen

Here how I’m doing this.

I grab the open end of backing paper with left hand. I hold the exposed roll between right thumb and middle finger, I gently rest the point (second) right finger on the roll under pulled backing paper and slowly pulling paper with my left hand. As soon my right point finger feels edge of film I grab it (film) with my left hand (sometimes I just tear off unrolled part of paper.) Than I grab the end of film with right hand and start feeding it in to plastic spiral. I cut the second end of film with scissors - once I noticed a static light when I tried to tear the tape off. I load my films usually in closet or garage after dusk so no space limitations in compare to bag. I also manage to cut corners of film before feeding it in spiral. I hoe this will help.

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Rolls of film v. roll film.

Roll film - Wikipedia

It seems that some do round the corners of roll film for plastic reels,

but otherwise the "Yes." was meant to agree.

I have, and had when I was pretty young "Kodak Black and White Films in Rolls",

which does explain the distinction of roll film vs. films in rolls.

I first started bulk loading 35mm when I was about 10, after inheriting film and supplies from my grandfather.

-- glen