AF Nikkor 70-300 f4-5.6 D

royall_berndt

ON THIS LENS, NEXT TO THE F STOP SCALE, THERE IS A RED DOT WITH A SMALL SWITCH BESIDE IT. WHAT IS IT FOR?

For locking the aperture ring at the smallest aperture (largest number) so it will work with electronic cameras like your N90s. Flip the switch off and you can use the aperture ring on the lens to set the f-stop manually, but it will not work well with cameras like your N90s, my F100, and most digital bodies.

On this lens it should just slide into position when the aperture ring is in its min. position. If aperture is not at minimum camera will return fEE error, but does not require locking the switch. It works ok on my D7100, so my guess is a problem with AF motor engagement, or AF motor itself.

When you try to autofocus is there any sound? Make sure it is mounted all the way etc. and contacts clean. The decision to engage the focus motor is made by electronic contact.

Seems like the lens is OK if it works on an AF film body. Do you have any other screw-drive AF lenses to try on the D7000? I have a D7000 but don't recall any settings that would affect any difference between AF-S and screw drive lenses.

Could be a classic case of cleaning contacts.

Eric Sande

The lens should auto focus fine on a D7000. Silly question perhaps, but have you got the AF/MF selector on the camera set to autofocus? You should see the little AF driver in the lens mount on the body move outwards when you switch from manual focus to AF. Perhaps it isn't moving far enough out to engage with the socket on the lens, for some reason.