Dangers of of Freelance Editors...

A few weeks ago I had a backlog of photos that needed Editing. I hired a freelance Photo Editor to edit about 200 images for a stated price. The reason I hired this guy was because I had a deadline to fill and was running behind. Unfortunately when I got my images back some were 'over edited' to say the least. This guy thought he was doing me a favor by removing the natural tint in the scene and replacing it with what 'He' thought was right. Also cropping parts of the image that should not have been cropped. Making the grass and trees look Radioactive and over sharpening. The pictures looked totally amateurish.

Unfortunately, the dead-line came, so I had to hand over the pictures to my client and pay this dead-beat. He would not hand over the images unless he got paid in full. Lucky for me, I edited some of the pictures myself and since I was at the scene I knew what the pictures should look like. I explained this to my client, but I could tell they were not really happy...

Edited by hjoseph7

Sorry to read that you (and your client) had such a terrible experience with this freelance photo editor! On this blog at photoeditorsguide.com the author writes that "Working as a photo editor is ideal for anyone who:

-

- can put their creative preferences aside to edit with their client’s style in mind

- "

Your photo editor seems to have done the exact opposite!

A few weeks ago I had a backlog of photos that needed Editing. I hired a freelance Photo Editor to edit about 200 images for a stated price. The reason I hired this guy was because I had a deadline to fill and was running behind. Unfortunately when I got my images back some were 'over edited' to say the least. This guy thought he was doing me a favor by removing the natural tint in the scene and replacing it with what 'He' thought was right. Also cropping parts of the image that should not have been cropped. Making the grass and trees look Radioactive and over sharpening. The pictures looked totally amateurish.

Unfortunately, the dead-line came, so I had to hand over the pictures to my client and pay this dead-beat. He would not hand over the images unless he got paid in full. Lucky for me, I edited some of the pictures myself and since I was at the scene I knew what the pictures should look like. I explained this to my client, but I could tell they were not really happy...

Too late now, but in the future, test out an editor with a small amount of photos that you’re not under time pressure to submit. State your needs up front. It will be a wise investment so you’ll have someone at the ready whose work you’ve already seen.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Was there information exchanged beforehand specifying how they were to be edited? I imagine no two editors would edit a photo in the same way.

I told him to do simple edits. He showed me some of his work and told me he had been in business for a while so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure if he was following some type of script, but a lot of the pictures came out with a Mangenta tint, some looked washed out(no detail). It's disheartening when you are anticipate seeing a picture you went out of your way to get totally ruined !.