Creativity and being creative cannot be those two separate things you try to suggest they are.

Of course it can be and it is for me. I have not limited myself by the boundaries that you chose to impose on my experience of it ....being creative in my experience as a photographer and creativity in general do overlap but for me are different topics with different takes and in particular in the context of what is relevant and matters to what.

But since you make the proclamation and don't explain why it cannot be, let's just move on.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, creativity is a quality that can't be defined.

A lot of philosophy and concepts like love, creativity, self, identity, dialectic, etc. are less understood by definition and better addressed by discussion. I agree that creativity would be hard to pin down with a definition as it pertains to photography. But with some thought and determination, much can still be said about it and discussed.

"You talkin' to me?"

A lot of philosophy and concepts like love, creativity, self, identity, dialectic, etc. are less understood by definition and better addressed by discussion. I agree that creativity would be hard to pin down with a definition as it pertains to photography. But with some thought and determination, much can still be said about it and discussed.

It is not that hard. Creativity is the process and result of people creating things, being creative.

No different from anything else that labels what we people get up to.

There is no separate thing, existing on its own, called creativity.

You find it difficult to pin it down to specific things? Find it difficult to give a definition?

Maybe it is. But that doesn't mean it escapes definition (only perhaps that it is a difficult task). And certainly not that it is separate from being creative, inoneeye.

Sam, I fully understand your comments. I agree that seeking a definition is a fool's errand. Discussion is much more fruitful.

With that in mind, i as a viewer may not find a photo creative as the op alluded to but can recognize that the photographer was being creative.

How?

If you see the creativeness of the photographer, how can you deny that the product is the product of creativity, say that the photo is not creative? Makes no sense at all.

What you can say, and i think you are saying, is that you do not particularly care for the result. To keep this short: it does not speak to you, no matter its creativity. It is not relevant.

That may be, inoneye.

But that says nothing about seeing that something is the result of a creative proces and at the same time saying that you do not see that. It makes no sense.

Alluding to perspective, vantage, etc. does not change that at all. That "i as a viewer" who doesn't see any creativity is the same "i" that recognizes the creativity involved. Same, same. Nonsense.

Yeah I get that it doesn't make sense to you, it doesn't need to. I am simply saying that for me it is not limited to it is or it isn't, black or white. I can discuss it in an overview of creativity or discuss it from my viewpoint of being creative. Something that is not separable for you.

If creativity has become a meaningless word for Tommy and boils down to creativity doesn't matter only relevance for you. Then perhaps one way to suss it out is to consider the impact that vantage has.

From the beginning and throughout this discussion I have found it oscillating between vantage points. To me perspective both as a viewer of creativity and as a photographer being creative are connected but special when talking about creativity.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

To me perspective both as a viewer of creativity and as a photographer being creative are connected but special when talking about creativity.

Interestingly, a viewer's role in creativity isn't only to detect it in the photographer or photo. A viewer can be more and less or not at all creative.

And the creativity of a photographer or artist can surely be discussed but can also be illustrated/illuminated by the work, by the photos produced. I think that may be at least part of what you mean or at least part of what I understand from your use of the word impact. Creativity will impact the photo, a bridge from photographer to viewer ...

Creativity can be felt in the act, when imagination meets the challenge.

"You talkin' to me?"

A viewer can be more and less or not at all creative.

Interesting addition samantha (ref. to a recent post :)), to consider the viewers creative skill.s. and experience.

Creativity can be felt in the act

creativity felt... i like it.

i as a viewer may not find a photo creative

I'll fine tune my prior word find to ^ feel

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

To feel, detect, see, sense, receive, etc. (word games) creativity is not the primary role of a viewer. If he or she does so at all.

Unless, of course, the viewer is assigned the task to look for and perhaps judge creativity.

The viewer's role is to be the recipient of an utterance. And how it is received might be influenced by the perceived creativity of the author, or by the creativity of the receiver. But it also might not.

This continued insistance on discussing creativity the way you two do proves the OP's point. A reduction of viewing (in this instance) photographs to your focus on creativity probably makes it impossible to see and appreciate whether there is also something interesting going on.

It's Fine Art all over again. Creativity, a "meaningless phrase".

Is this discussion interesting? To each his or her own, of course, but refusing to get unstuck and get away from that indulgence in your 'what do i feel?'-mode makes it highly irrelevant. Uninteresting.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

well then since what we say is irrelevant and boring and clearly displeases you i guess there is no room for us to discuss our viewpoint on a topic that you have determined is settled :rolleyes:.... but that interests us to explore outside your opinion. Seems like you would consider that as a waste of your time.

Neither creativity nor originality matter. Relevance does.

It is not that hard. Creativity is the process and result of people creating things, being creative.

No different from anything else that labels what we people get up to. There is no separate thing, existing on its own, called creativity.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

as Picasso said steal it

Variation on that theme from one of my faves ...

“It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."

—Jean-Luc Godard

Another good one he came up with ...

“He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch.”

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Especially not new is trotting out this often misplaced quote from Ecclesiastes.

What's new under the sun with photos? Don't we mean newness when we speak of creativity. We're all interested in it because we get bored easily. We seek stimulation. How many pictures truly inspire? Look at the photos here or on FLickr and point out the really creative shots. Just more of the same. When someone finally succeeds with a creative new and interesting idea, it soon becomes passe and we go off to Starbucks to get a latte to excite our senses.

Don't we mean newness when we speak of creativity. We're all interested in it because we get bored easily. We seek stimulation. How many pictures truly inspire? Look at the photos here or on FLickr and point out the really creative shots. Just more of the same. When someone finally succeeds with a creative new and interesting idea, it soon becomes passe and we go off to Starbucks to get a latte to excite our senses.

Who's this we you profess to speak for?

What's new under the sun with photos?

Every baby pic a new parent takes is new to them and that's what counts.

Don't we mean newness when we speak of creativity.

Read through the thread and you'll find qualities other than newness being discussed relative to creativity.

We're all interested in it because we get bored easily.

I got interested in photography because I wanted a creative and expressive outlet, not out of boredom. When I get really bored, I clean my house.

How many pictures truly inspire?

Look at the photos here or on FLickr and point out the really creative shots.

I'm always on the lookout for them. They're there though I consider this more a beginner/learner site so I go elsewhere to seek out more creative photography. Look at a lot of inoneeye's photos and Ludmilla's especially recent stuff and you might find some. richard a also posts a lot of unique stuff, though on the surface much of it may seem mundane. That takes a good eye and a good gut.

we go off to Starbucks to get a latte

I'm staying away from dairy so I avoid lattes. It's not the same with soy milk. Also, I don't like paying their high prices, so I make my own every morning.

"You talkin' to me?"

I see that 'we' are still picking everything to infinite pieces.

The new overlords must be truly impressed... :rolleyes:

This board would be the best pick to delete in the new restructuring.

Edited by PapaTango
  • Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!