New to MF

kevin_beretta

Dipping my toe into the MF world with the likely acquisition of GFX50R which is going to be sold off following a camera store closure. So if the price is right, I may add it to the Nikon family. Currently using a D850 and Df in the Nikon world.

I know there are a few adapters for Nikon lenses to use them on the G mount but it seems a mixed blessing. That said, I also heard older 645 Pentax lenses are a good fit.

I don't know anyone in my photography circle locally (Vancouver BC) that is going the MF route so am looking for some pointers to good threads around the following imaginary topics:

- MF vs FF, what to keep in mind

- Using FF Nikon lenses on a GFX body

- Using older MF lenses from other brands on a GFX body

You get the idea... I know there is a lot of info out there for sure on MF but I'm not familiar with the gems. Any pointers appreciated....

Thanks, Kevin

I have no personal experience with digital MF, but recall a comment from the competent people at LensRentals on their podcast (because I am a user of the Nikon Z system).

The claim was that the first generation 50MP sensor (as found in the 50S and 50R) is really no better than the sensor found in a Nikon Z7ii, minus many of the comforts the Nikon offers.

I'm not in the market so I didn't pay that much attention, but may be interesting for you to listen over.

The summary and link to the podcast can be found here: Lens Rentals Podcast

They begin talking about this subject around the 9 minute mark.

Niels

I have no personal experience with digital MF, but recall a comment from the competent people at LensRentals on their podcast (because I am a user of the Nikon Z system).

The claim was that the first generation 50MP sensor (as found in the 50S and 50R) is really no better than the sensor found in a Nikon Z7ii, minus many of the comforts the Nikon offers.

I'm not in the market so I didn't pay that much attention, but may be interesting for you to listen over.

The summary and link to the podcast can be found here: Lens Rentals Podcast

They begin talking about this subject around the 9 minute mark.

Thanks for that! That's a really good pointer indeed. I did listen to the podcast and maybe indeed as they say the gfx100s is the way to go. Since I already have a d850 I would gain very little for a comparatively lot of money. I may have to really jump up or rest in place a bit longer...

A few observations. I do not think the Nikon lenses will cover the GFX sensor. You will have vignetting. Also, not being familiar with the adapters available, you will most probably lose some of the lenses capabilities, like autofocus and automatic aperture control. Lastly, the size of the MF sensor (not truly MF, but larger than FX) can give a much nicer image than the same number of pixels on an FX sensor. If you do go for the GFX, spring for the Fuji lenses. They are excellent. Otherwise, you might not get the quality the camera is capable of delivering. Older MF lenses don't necessarily have the resolving power needed for digital, plus who knows what image deterioration an adapter might introduce.
  • Like 2

A few observations. I do not think the Nikon lenses will cover the GFX sensor.

Some might but the vignetting and reduced sharpness in the corners will be obvious and possibly severe; lenses designed with an image circle of some 44mm to cover the full frame sensor diagonal can't be expected to cover a sensor with a diagonal of around 55mm. When cropped to full frame, the number of megapixels will be around 32MP for the GFX50R - less than even the D810 offers. There are adapters with lens elements that spread out the image circle of the adapted Nikon lenses - this will quite likely have a negative impact on the image quality.

If you do go for the GFX, spring for the Fuji lenses.

+1

• Like 2

- Using FF Nikon lenses on a GFX body

I don't have either system. However, I am thinking about the GFX system for later down the road. I currently use Olympus cameras. My thinking is this: if I want ultimate image quality, I should go straight to medium format. That's Fuji's thinking: they sell APS-C and MF cameras, but they will not make a 36mm system. There are enough of those.

You will get better shadow detail per pixel count on a larger sensor. For a time, the Hasselblad X1D, which uses the same sensor, was the best low light camera you could buy - not a Nikon, and not a Sony. I don't know if it still is though.

I too have been doing some research on using SLR lenses on MF mirrorless. I found this interesting thread:

Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I am only up to page 7. It's a long one, with lots of detail, so get yourself a thermos full of coffee and prepare the fireplace!

FWIW, just for the sake of conversation, I had considered the Leica S system. I like it a lot but... reflex cameras are too much of a step backwards. Well, for digital anyway.

• Like 1

I don't have either system. However, I am thinking about the GFX system for later down the road. I currently use Olympus cameras. My thinking is this: if I want ultimate image quality, I should go straight to medium format. That's Fuji's thinking: they sell APS-C and MF cameras, but they will not make a 36mm system. There are enough of those.

You will get better shadow detail per pixel count on a larger sensor. For a time, the Hasselblad X1D, which uses the same sensor, was the best low light camera you could buy - not a Nikon, and not a Sony. I don't know if it still is though.

I too have been doing some research on using SLR lenses on MF mirrorless. I found this interesting thread:

Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I am only up to page 7. It's a long one, with lots of detail, so get yourself a thermos full of coffee and prepare the fireplace!

FWIW, just for the sake of conversation, I had considered the Leica S system. I like it a lot but... reflex cameras are too much of a step backwards. Well, for digital anyway.

I have to disagree there. I dislike a camera that does not have an optical viewfinder, and the Leica S is among the best.

I don’t think they are worth it, myself. Same or similar resolution to a top flight “FF” camera. Very few native lenses. Expensive lenses, with no 3rd party support. Slower lenses/limited number of focal lengths. Not a huge difference in sensor size compared to an FF camera so the difference in depth of field/“rendering” is not so great compared to a good FF system. I’d get the 100 MP one if I really was interested. I have to admit it is an attractive idea as a one camera/one lens idea, but I know that the only person who would know my shots were taken with one would be me.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith

I don’t think they are worth it, myself. Same or similar resolution to a top flight “FF” camera. Very few native lenses. Expensive lenses, with no 3rd party support. Slower lenses/limited number of focal lengths. Not a huge difference in sensor size compared to an FF camera so the difference in depth of field/“rendering” is not so great compared to a good FF system. I’d get the 100 MP one if I really was interested. I have to admit it is an attractive idea as a one camera/one lens idea, but I know that the only person who would know my shots were taken with one would be me.

You are not wrong, fundamentally. Most people, like me, shoot with smaller sensors. It's much easier to shoot small animals like birds with an Olympus than it is with a GFX. Just as one example. It's also cheaper.

I might beg to differ on some of your reasons, though. For commercial photographers, DOF is an asset. If I could get infinite DOF, I would take it. Also worth noting is that the smaller GFX bodies are smaller than any pro DSLR. Lenses aren't that much larger and often have better corner performance.

For architecture - not that this is my domain - I would shoot either MFD or 120. From what I have seen, MFD has better shadow detail than 36mm sensors of similar resolution. And you want maximal enlargement potential.

I do own a small bunch of medium format cameras. If it hadn't been for a few details I would have considered committing to the format, BUT

MF film is and was expensive

MF film has so few images to the roll, and the roll-film format is not very quick to reload, even with magazines. What a shame 70mm perforated film didn't "make" it.

the cameras and lenses are heavy and expensive

and although this label applies specifically to the Pentacon 6TL, it is also applicable to many other MF cameras...

1426009388_Pentacon6warning.jpg.e8b94b670d0a36da21a3ed5b76d7420f.jpg

And finally

Digital

• Like 1

I suspect for a permanent studio location an MF digital camera would be just nice to have. Bigger files, possibly higher resolution, no need for fast continuous AF, nor particularly fast lenses. For myself, who would not be using one in a studio, the differences (which seem debatable as to whether they are improvements, or just slight differences) from a pro FF system makes it an expensive and poor return on investment. If you come from a film MF background, these disadvantages may not matter at all, but, as I pointed out earlier, these MF sensors are not the same size as the old 6x6, 6x7 formats, so it not like you are really able to get the same “look” with them either.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith