Nikon Announce Retro DX Z Body, Z fc, with Retro Lenses

ShunCheung

.. and of course you can charge it via standard USB-C, so any powerbank will do.

Better go cancel that cancel....:D

Yes, I did think about that. I had used the USB-C with my Z7ii and it was super convenient and I loved it But it was for casual shoot. I am more thinking of an extended stretch of time with no access to electricity. Need to think about it more...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.. and of course you can charge it via standard USB-C, so any powerbank will do.

Better go cancel that cancel....:D

Right, USB charging should help manage a travel workflow when working with multiple cameras.

I personally like EN-EL15 series batteries and would prefer to have that option, but I can understand that for some camera bodies, that battery might simply not fit inside. The Df also had that issue.

I am more thinking of an extended stretch of time with no access to electricity.

Does that happen often anymore on this planet? and what does extended stretch mean these days?

What with every car having 12v outlets and solar panels for such relatively small amounts of power are like 3 x 10x8 (or A4) foldable panels

Edited by mike_halliwell

Does that happen often anymore on this planet? and what does extended stretch mean these days?

What with every car having 12v outlets and solar panels for such relatively small amounts of power are like 3 x 10x8 (or A4) foldable panels

Yes Mike, it happens at the exact time when you need something. :D

Mary, i think i carry 6 or 7 different types of battery for the miscellaneous bits of equipment i might need. Though, yes, life could be easier if i would not need any batteries at all, i never ever considered those batteries a reason not to want a bit of equipment. What it can do, what it means to your 'workflow' and how it fits your preferences would appear many times more important.

Just my opinion, of course.

I prefer the lightest combo and simplest yet effective workflow. The bag is heavy enough even after streamlining (though lighter than some previous arrangements). The basics of last were two cameras (Z7ii and Z6) that use the same lenses (14-24, 24-200, 70-200 + 1.4x and 2.0x) and accessories such as batteries and charger, filters, remote control, a few extra camera/lens caps, memory cards in a light small pouch, 3.5- 4lb laptop with mouse (always like to use a mouse), light external drive with attached cable, 1 microfiber cloth, lens wipes, passport, credit cards and some cash... all in a suitable bag that is the lightest I have, and CF tripod.

So, I thought this was nicely done. Then my filial daughter ;) who carried my bag to the car last week offered this comment: "Mom, seriously, why are you doing this to yourself?"

That's why, unlike most of you folks, I wish Nikon would make everything in plastic. ;)

• Like 1

I liked my FM when I had it, also an F3HP, and I can see some attraction in the camera, but it seems like a crazy move on Nikon's part when you consider all the other things they should be doing. Not really sure who the customer is, but definitely not me. IMO, they should be concentrating on FX because that's where the money is. It also seems like somebody wanting that style of control is the same person who'd prefer FX.

Dx is a deal breaker for me. I shoot with a FM2n regularly. If it were FX I might consider it.

I would reduce weight by leaving out the laptop. It's not needed when I'm shooting outside of the studio.

I do wonder how long it will take to make mirrorless cameras that can be used (nearly) continuously for a whole day on one battery charge. Or will it simply never happen?

Yes to what Ilkka said. Divide the equipment in things you need for a particular photo (or series), things that come along for what you might do the following day, and the base camp only stuff, such as laptops. When on a trip and out shooting, you don't carry all of your spare clothes and shoes, toiletries etc. too. So leave your laptop, chargers etc. along with the 'do not need this now' bits and bobs at base camp.

And re computers: on long trips i do bring a small laptop along. As image bank and (p)review utility. And to communicate. You do not need a large heavy laptop. A small netbook or laptop from the days before big was the rage will do fine. Really.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

The Z5 seem like a much better package for around the same price.

Well, exactly the conundrum I'm in - the Z fc or Z5 for backpack/overland/street. The new Z fc probably has better autofocus and a newer sensor; the Z5, an older sensor, and the internet chat says sometimes slow AF. But two UHS II card slots, full frame, detailed viewfinder - maybe the Z5 and the two pancake primes for the street. My budget is $2,000 for everything - camera, lenses, cards, etc. FWIW my travel gear currently (although not all together at once - D700, D60, and FE2) - a little 'long in the tooth and heavy. One thing in favor of the Z5 - I have some nice chipped MF lenses including Voigtlander 58 that would work seamlessly. I'm interested in what others say about IQ/AF of Z fc and Z5.

Thanks.

Edited by lahuasteca
  • Like 1

After a day thinking about this here. I think it can get a lot of flak on photography websites. However it is fun camera for certain audience. New users might just want a nice fun retro camera. While Nikon in history has not provided a lot of DX lenses in their F mount system, maybe there is a group out there who don't intend to get many lenses. One can use standard Z FX lenses on it many users might not do that anyway. Speaking about what many people do, many people do just like to chill and have some fun many might not take photography too seriously and shoot mainly in daylight where the consumer lenses are OK, plus their end output might just be shared online and perhaps the odd print. Likewise a Nikon geek with a truckload of stuff might wanna chill on travel and on their relaxing weekends and go and have some fun with it without getting too stressed with it.

From my camera club, you get a few people who are more seriously with their photography but many more of them seeing as a fun activity to meet and greet people and have conversations and have a meal together afterwards. Many of them have crop sensor cameras and they don't have the 3 trio of 2.8 lenses or 1.4 lenses.

I myself gotten a used Fuji XT1 a year ago more it is much lighter and smaller esp with the F2.0 primes or the kit lens. I would still agree with Shun to go with Fuji or even a M43 camera like some of my camera club members esp if they want longer reach and without breaking their backs and their wallets. Those brands have a lot more camera models and lenses to choose from. Maybe this is one way Nikon gets to tap into this customer type esp for those who don't intend to get all these lenses. Admittedly while some dSLRs at my club have moved from APS-C or FF dSLRs to Fuji or M43 the majority I think are still using a Canon / Nikon crop sensor dSLR that is 5 or more years old. Over here at least in NZ is the reality when you go and meet people in person, it's quite different from many website forums.

Edited by RaymondC