Anyone Has the Z6 II Yet?

ShunCheung

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Sigma A 135mm is even better

We know (thanks)...135 was/is my favorite focal lengh since I was a child...

About focus capability of Z6ii , it appear to be excellent, very fast and with amazing face/eye tracking...somehow better than Sony a7iii...

Edited by paul_b.|1
  • Like 1

Originally Nikon made the Z6 and Z7 in Japan. The production of these mirrorless bodies involves a lot more robotics, and apparently Nikon wanted to keep production close to where most of the engineers are. Production for the Z6 II has shifted to Thailand, and I assume there is where the Z7 II is also produced. Again, it involves a lot of robotics and I don't think where those robots are installed makes any difference.

The majority of the Z-mount lenses are made either in Thailand and China. Even the 70-200mm/f2.8 S is now made in Thailand, which is a first for any Nikon 70-200mm/f2.8 or 80-200mm/f2.8 lens. I have 5 Z lenses now, and only the 24-70mm/f2.8 S is made in Japan. The 20 and 35mm primes are made in China and the f4 zooms, 14-30 and 24-70 are made in Thailand.

Mars, They have very good QControl there.

Much better than Venus, or those cowboys on Uranus.

and don't even mention Pluto.

:D

Thanks for nothing! I know many of you don't want to answer my question so I asked for permission to ask. If you don't want to answer please don't.

Originally Nikon made the Z6 and Z7 in Japan. The production of these mirrorless bodies involves a lot more robotics, and apparently Nikon wanted to keep production close to where most of the engineers are. Production for the Z6 II has shifted to Thailand, and I assume there is where the Z7 II is also produced. Again, it involves a lot of robotics and I don't think where those robots are installed makes any difference.

The majority of the Z-mount lenses are made either in Thailand and China. Even the 70-200mm/f2.8 S is now made in Thailand, which is a first for any Nikon 70-200mm/f2.8 or 80-200mm/f2.8 lens. I have 5 Z lenses now, and only the 24-70mm/f2.8 S is made in Japan. The 20 and 35mm primes are made in China and the f4 zooms, 14-30 and 24-70 are made in Thailand.

Thank you very much Shun. Those information are actually very difficult to find by asking Mr. Google.

Thank you very much Shun. Those information are actually very difficult to find by asking Mr. Google.

I have the same issue. To the extend it is possible I want to avoid supporting the economy of countries which grossly violate human rights.

Brands tend to avoid publishing this information in their marketing material, and Country of Manufacture is often removed from their product photos.

It is sometimes possible to find the information on photos published on review sites or online store that make their own photos, but I often have to ask.

Some people find the question irritatingly irrelevant or apply racist motives, when in fact I just want to be an informed consumer and make my choices accordingly.

Niels

I am not sure you can buy any electronics product today without some parts or raw materials being obtained using people in poor working conditions or for low pay. However if you only buy products made in wealthy countries, you may actually help increase the inequality between people working in rich and poor countries. I would like to think people in poor countries deserve a chance of improving their lives and revenue from manufacturing and exporting high-quality products (rather than just raw materials or products with low refinement level) can help with that.

I am not sure you can buy any electronics product today without some parts or raw materials being obtained using people in poor working conditions or for low pay. However if you only buy products made in wealthy countries, you may actually help increase the inequality between people working in rich and poor countries. I would like to think people in poor countries deserve a chance of improving their lives and revenue from manufacturing and exporting high-quality products (rather than just raw materials or products with low refinement level) can help with that.

This could easily derail the thread, so this will be my last comment on this matter here.

First, I said nothing about "wealthy and poor" - I said "countries which grossly violate human rights".

Second, you don't have to remind me about the complexity of the matter, I am painfully aware - but as I said, I would like to be an informed consumer and make my own choices. For me to do that, I need to know where the primary value was added as expressed by the "Made in ...." label.

Niels

I don't want to derail the thread as I just wanted to know without stating any reason as to why. I also knew that the question would irritate some people so I said "May I ask....".

First of all, please do not debate about human rights here. It is certainly an important topic, but for some appropriate web site.

There is also some discrimination about Nikon products made outside of Japan. But as I said, among my 5 Z lenses, only the 24-70mm/f2.8 is made in Japan. Since there are no parties in most of 2020, I rarely use that lens now. The other lenses are also fine. My 500mm PF is made in China and that lens is excellent. The latest 70-200mm/f2.8 S in the Z mount is made in Thailand and that is supposed to be the best 70-200, at least from Nikon.

Since I already have a Z6, most likely I'll add a Z7 II instead of Z6 II to have some diversification, but I am in no hurry.

• Like 3

I'm thinking of getting out of DX completely. My main use currently is D500 + Sigma 50-100mm 1.8.

I wonder if the Z6ii's AF is close enough for medium speed horse eventing. Obviously, no-one can answer whether it will be fast enough for me, except me.

Maybe, I'll hire one for a weekend.

The latest 70-200mm/f2.8 S in the Z mount......... and that is supposed to be the best 70-200

Time to sell some 'spare' stuff me thinks. I've got the 70-200mm Sigma S OS that's pretty darn good, but that S lens looks stunning.

I don't want to guess people's motives; things are complicated these days; but practically, there is no need to worry about where it is made if the product is good.

Mary, it is very simple: prejudice. For example, when it comes to Leica and Zeiss lenses, some people feel that "made in Japan" is all of a sudden a negative, as those people feel that those German brands should be make in Germany. I happen to have bought a Leica lens in 1974, and it was made in Canada, and it was a fine lens at the time. We have all sorts of Apple products all made in China: iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pros, Airs, etc. They are all excellent and also expensive. What matters is quality control.

I don't think Nikon would manufacture the D850, Z6 II, 70-200mm/f2.8 S, etc. etc in Thailand if they are unable to maintain the high quality there. However, incidentally that was also why that 70-200 S was delay by several months earlier this year. After it was initially announced at the CES in January, all of a sudden Covid-19 was breaking out all over the world, and Nikon's engineers could not travel from Japan to Thailand to supervise the production.

• Like 1

I don't want to guess people's motives; things are complicated these days; but practically, there is no need to worry about where it is made if the product is good.

Mary, it is very simple: prejudice. For example, when it comes to Leica and Zeiss lenses, some people feel that "made in Japan" is all of a sudden a negative, as those people feel that those German brands should be make in Germany....I happen to have bought a Leica lens in 1974, and it was made in Canada, and it was a fine lens at the time...<snip>

Dear friends, Please!

I thought I made it clear that there may be reasons beyond prejudice and quality.

The subject may not be allowed discussed in this forum, as pointed out by the Moderator, but I wish people would accept the question of “where is it made?” to be asked without automatically assuming it has anything to do with prejudice. Please read what I wrote above if you haven’t already.

• Like 1
Niels