Nikon Announce That They Will Announce the Z6 II and Z7 II

ShunCheung

It could sit unsold on dealer's shelves just like the F6.

If film users were interested in updated technology - well they wouldn't be film users.

I have heard many people who bought the F6 recently and they praised it over the older ones (F5 for example). They did pay significantly more money for the F6 vs the F5 but I don't know who bought a new F6 recently though.

Our friend Ben bought an F6 recently too I think.

For me to buy a new film camera it has to be very simple without most of the software wise features but the technology if they can do it has to be with precision. I want more accurate shutter speed, more accurate meter (not a more fancy matrix metering though) I mean accurate.

Yes, Roman numeral - It is just like the iPhone X is actually iPhone ten. Can't wait for Nikon Z6 X. :rolleyes:

Just keep in mind that Nikon Z6 10 is different from Nikon D610.

Of course they are different unless someone thinks Z and D are the same like someone I know.

• Like 1

Did Nikon just increase the price of the Z6?

Of course not. Why would Nikon do that? The Z6 is the out-going model and, depending on how much new stock Nikon still has on hand, they will discount it to move them. Remember for a few days around Thanksgiving, 2019, Nikon USA discounted the D750 to $999 to make room for the D780, which was announced a few weeks later at the CES in January, 2020.

The problem with any camera and lens that is over a year or two old is that there will be plenty of refurbished models, used ones, and gray market units on the market, competing with new ones. If the price difference is too big, new ones will be extremely difficult to sell. That can be a problem if Nikon still has a lot of new ones on hand.

See my post from July 21, 2020 when Nikon announced the Z5 @ US$1400, body only. At the time the Z6 was $1800 and therefore a $400 difference with the Z5:

Nikon announces Z5 fullframe Mirrorless using SDxx cards for memory media

It is still $1800 today: Nikon Z 6 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body with Accessories Kit

The lowest price I have seen for a new, Nikon USA Z6 was $1600 during the holiday season in 2019. If Nikon still has stock on hand, maybe we'll get some deep Z6 discounts in a month and half, i.e. mid November, when the holiday shopping season starts.

We probably won't see any Z6 II and Z7 II discounts until well into 2021.

I have heard many people who bought the F6 recently

What, personally?

Apparently Nikon has shifted about 270 units per year of the F6 over the past few years... and you know someone who bought one recently?

That's got to be over a million-to-one shot.

Anyway, the point is that at that rate it would take Nikon many years to recoup the development cost of an F7. Something they're not likely to risk in current economic uncertainty. And what could they possibly add to the F6 that would make an F7 a 'must have' buy? It's basically a light-tight box with a shutter, that holds a lens in front and crappy 35mm film at the back. So unless it somehow manages to enhance the quality of said crappily undersized film, it's no improvement over any other light-tight box + shutter.

• Like 1

If you use upper case i, you may end up with a 'sans-serif' vertical line, akin to a l, depending on your font.

If you use lower case i, you always get i!

Go Romans...:D

Although I don't expect a fire sale on Z6/7s, increasing the price is just plain daft.

Having said that, Nikon do move move in mysterious ways.;)

There can be absolutely no mileage in an F7.

There's more chance of them bringing out a D850Mono.....with micro-lenses but no Bayer....:cool:

I have heard many people who bought the F6 recently

It's hard to understand but people do what people do. I recently re-found my "long lost" F6 in the basement, dripping with water after the fire. But still looking good. I can replace it for a new one but I am thinking to get something else.

• Like 1

It's hard to understand but people do what people do. I recently re-found my "long lost" F6 in the basement, dripping with water after the fire. But still looking good. I can replace it for a new one but I am thinking to get something else.

Every Nikon photographer needs at one F6.

Why? It "takes better pictures"? LOL!

My F6 did a good job and I was pleased with it. So did my F100's. After the fire, now I am faced with boxes of slides that were shot with these cameras. So I bought a used LS-5000 scanner but too busy to scan now. I am thinking that these slides will have a second life. But for new photographic ventures, there is no good reason to go back to film.

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 2

Never owned one, never missed one!

It's just another (hopefully) light-tight box with image quality limited by the too-tiny length of gelatine-coated plastic that goes in it.

The only film Nikon I now have that needs no expensive or time-consuming repair is an F-801s. That includes F2s, F3 and F4 models.

When they were fully working, could I see any difference in their results? No! They were all inferior to what I got from my D-700 and subsequent Nikon DSLRs.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

When they were fully working, could I see any difference in their results? No! They were all inferior to what I got from my D-700 and subsequent Nikon DSLRs.

I'm guessing current 35mm film users are more into the process than the results.

The resolution and latitude arguments died long ago.

I really don't miss film's reciprocity failure. Recent astro and comet photography have highlighted that if you want to do a 2min exposure you just do. Depending on which film you use, that could be 6 to get the same image density... and a 6 minute track is pretty hard to achieve. And of course working regularly at ISO 6400 is pretty straightforward.

I wonder if there might be astro or mono Zs in the future? I'm not sure if the Phase-Detect-on-Chip makes the sensor more tricky to mod?