Leonard Nimoy

" from Nimoy -

"...so i was struck with that and being a photographer it's often about light. i thought wouldn't be interesting to do an essay on the subject of the light and the presence of The Shekhina this feminine aspect of god."

"...what's happening is a crossover between sensuality and religion, that's a provocative intersection and my concept was, i will go out with my camera looking for The Shehkina."

I differentiate between religion and spirituality while recognizing the fuzzy line. Without some of the provided context of this collection I would not have looked at these photos as an attempt to present spirituality. Religious flavor yes. But the feminine aspect of god? no. An exposed nipple... a breast is a shallow representation of femininity. I do not see any thoughtful exploration of the femininity of god. I see a 1 dimensional masculine interpretation of what represents femininity with a dressing of spiritual bright light & ethereal staging. The 'feminine aspect of god' could be found in imagery of men but that would require an awareness of the feminine beyond the sensuality of naked women.

When I explored the book I found some very nice photos. I think the editing fell short. And would be better presented as a Nimoy photo collection of women ... Let it stand without the leading suggestion of 'Shekhina this feminine aspect of god'

n e y e

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" from Nimoy -

"...so i was struck with that and being a photographer it's often about light. i thought wouldn't be interesting to do an essay on the subject of the light and the presence of The Shekhina this feminine aspect of god."

"...what's happening is a crossover between sensuality and religion, that's a provocative intersection and my concept was, i will go out with my camera looking for The Shehkina."

I differentiate between religion and spirituality while recognizing the fuzzy line. Without some of the provided context of this collection I would not have looked at these photos as an attempt to present spirituality. Religious flavor yes. But the feminine aspect of god? no. An exposed nipple... a breast is a shallow representation of femininity. I do not see any thoughtful exploration of the femininity of god. I see a 1 dimensional masculine interpretation of what represents femininity with a dressing of spiritual bright light & ethereal staging. The 'feminine aspect of god' could be found in imagery of men but that would require an awareness of the feminine beyond the sensuality of naked women.

When I explored the book I found some very nice photos. I think the editing fell short. And would be better presented as a Nimoy photo collection of women ... Let it stand without the leading suggestion of 'Shekhina this feminine aspect of god'

FYI, there's a difference between the feminine aspect of God and a representation of God. In Judaism, as I suspect in other theistic religions, without God"s feminine aspect, God would not be worshipped as a personal one. The word Shekhina in Hebrew often is translated as "present", in-dwelling", or "immanent". Reform Judaism very likely would take the position that a bared breast and spirituality are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

However, after finally understanding Sam Stevens' point of view, perhaps Nimoy should have spent more time thinking about the sort of images that properly would reveal the Shekhina. In this respect, I do agree with you as well, Inoneeye.

FYI, there's a difference between the feminine aspect of God and a representation of God.

of course, I think so too.

but Nimoy blurs the distinction "... to me the book is a very strong feminist statement, among other things. And I think to some degree in the orthodox community that makes people uncomfortable the idea that god is a woman"

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

Reform Judaism is the only branch that holds an entirely egalitarian stance on the role of women. The Orthodox prayer book contains a prayer used at the daily morning prayer that involves a man thanking to God for not making him a woman

Michael, you might find this article, written by an Orthodox woman, interesting. It's part rationalization, in my opinion, but there's a rationale to the rationalization that actually helps understand it in a more positive way.

LINK

Of course, the discussion of Reform and Orthodox conceptions of women is only in a roundabout way relevant to the photos, which speak for themselves, notwithstanding what Nimoy tries to make of them in his own discussions of them.

Something that the article suggests to me is the complexity of notions of femininity and the role of females in the Orthodox world, a complexity that Nimoy seems not able to reach.

I think inoneeye is getting at the sense that Nimoy is dealing more with religious practice than actual spirituality. Reading Nimoy's words, he seems focused on Orthodox practices, such as laying tefillin, etc. In that ... light ... they take on a different aura, still one-dimensional but perhaps never meant to tackle picturing spirituality itself. I'm of the mind that religious practice, as a matter of fact, is often at odds with spirituality (even though I think ritual serves an important human function), as it can be so much about rule-following rather than a genuine individual search beyond oneself.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Something that the article suggests to me is the complexity of notions of femininity...
as do the Nimoy photos for me in the lack of recognition, they make me think, something he might have appreciated.

From an open online washinton post interview-

Silver Spring, Md.: So is the feminine presence of God, as you put it, mainly manifested in the form of sensuality/sexuality? What makes it feminine -- and how do physical representations of women illustrate that "feminine" presence? Can't feminine spirituality have little to do with the actual physicality of women's bodies? After all, the "male" or "gender-neutral" notions of God seem to have little sensuality/sexuality associated with them--they seem to transcend that.

Leonard Nimoy: The word Shekhina is of feminine gender and the relationship between she and her male counterpart is referred to in much of the writings as physical and that of a consort. It is true that in the patriarchal interpretations that the role of the Shekhina has been intentionally downplayed. The readers and followers of Maimonides believe rationally that all of biblical interpretation should be without any mystical value. The concept of Shekhina is more closely aligned with Jewish mysticism specifically in the Kabbalah.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

• 1 month later...
of course, I think so too.

but Nimoy blurs the distinction "... to me the book is a very strong feminist statement, among other things. And I think to some degree in the orthodox community that makes people uncomfortable the idea that god is a woman"

In my experience, the Orthodox community wouldn't recognize Nimoy (or me), since we practice Reform, as Jews at all. Some time ago, I received an email solicitation for donation from the Orthodox Union. After responding that I would donate once they recognized me as a Jew, I never heard from them again.

In my experience, the Orthodox community wouldn't recognize Nimoy (or me), since we practice Reform, as Jews at all. Some time ago, I received an email solicitation for donation from the Orthodox Union. After responding that I would donate once they recognized me as a Jew, I never heard from them again.

For which I recommend to you the famous quote of Groucho Marx ...

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

For which I recommend to you the famous quote of Groucho Marx ...

Groucho, how I miss you! Aside from the famous quote you posted, Sam, there's another hilarious one from an episode of "You Bet Your Life,' of which I was and still am an avid fan. His usual m.o. before actually beginning the game was to interview the two contestants. In this instance, when Groucho asked the female contestant about the number of children she had mention, he stated "Even I have to take my cigar out of my mouth once in a while!"

Groucho, how I miss you! Aside from the famous quote you posted, Sam, there's another hilarious one from an episode of "You Bet Your Life,' of which I was and still am an avid fan.

(snip)

When I was young (about 1968) and visiting my father's childhood home, I found an old picture of

Groucho Marx, but didn't know who he was.

Not so many years later, there were (very old) reruns of "You Bet Your Life", which I found more

interesting already knowing about him. Yes they are still pretty funny after so many years!

• Like 1

-- glen

When I was young (about 1968) and visiting my father's childhood home, I found an old picture of

Groucho Marx, but didn't know who he was.

Not so many years later, there were (very old) reruns of "You Bet Your Life", which I found more

interesting already knowing about him. Yes they are still pretty funny after so many years!

For whatever it's worth, I was born in 1947. I surmise that you may be considerably younger.

For whatever it's worth, I was born in 1947. I surmise that you may be considerably younger.

1958, so somewhat but maybe not considerably.

I started darkroom work, film developing and contact printing when I was nine.

Then I got an enlarger for Christmas that year. Summer 1968, not long after the

Groucho Marx picture, I inherited much of my grandfathers darkroom equipment,

and other photography equipment. Some bulk 35mm film, so I learned how to use

that and do more 35mm photography. I have negatives back to 5th grade, many

more from 7th and 8th grade when I did yearbook photography.

-- glen

OK, you're 11 years younger, Glen - still a middle-ager. Just wondering - do you do any digital work? FIW, my Canon AE1 still is in good working order and I'm thinking of trying some film shots, perhaps soon. Even though I started taking pictures when I was 10, regrettably I never did any darkroom work. There's no doubt that doing so would have made me a much better photographer.

I have gone places with both film and digital camera, carrying both at the same time.

Sometimes I still do darkroom work in various combinations of old cameras and old film.

Some parts of me like the mechanics and physics of photography more than art. It is funny,

though, as I have a lot more negatives from over the years than I ever got to printing.

Well, some are from 7th and 8th grade yearbook, where I printed them and they stayed

at school. Some are from Boy Scout camp, where I just never was interested in printing.

So, some of those are now scanned and on FB where some people I knew, or some that

I didn't, from so many years ago can see them. Now people know to expect pictures

to end up on FB, but not 50 or 40 years ago.

My dad had a Canon rangefinder from when I was one, then bought a Canon SLR and

finally (I am not sure how many) Canon DSLRs. He is 100% Canon.

So, I got to use that rangefinder for much of my younger years, until I bought

a Nikon FM in college years. (Close to the end of 3rd year, so many college

pictures are from the rangefinder.)

-- glen

Any photo that provides a sense of awe puts you in the presence of G-d. Some feel that spirituality is not so much what you feel but what you do.

Alan, although I don't remember the name of the rabbi who demonstrated with Martin Luther King, he said he was praying with his feet. Thanks for reminding me.

Mike The fruits are in the action, what we do. Otherwise, if it's just internal, you can get the same effect with a drink or drug or ice cream soda. First you do. Then you believe.

Entirely correct, Alan. My best, michael (the name by which people who know me and refer to me)

I think our actions show what we truly believe. One might say or even think they believe a certain way, and their actions will either confirm or deny that. I also think we create these beliefs and are responsible for and to them.

"You talkin' to me?"

In any case, interesting to consider belief and action in terms of photography. We might have certain beliefs about things and about photography itself and those beliefs can both inform and be changed by the act of making photographs to where it eventually becomes a symbiotic relationship of belief and action, each influencing the other. The photos we make can start changing our beliefs and thought processes and our thought processes and beliefs obviously affect what and how and why we photograph.

"You talkin' to me?"