Hole in changing bag.

Bought a bag online and dove straight into developing a film. Successfully loaded the film only to discover a hole in the bag I could get my thumb through. Poo to the seller and poo to me for not thoroughly inspecting second-hand equipment!

1973317600_DSC_00251.thumb.jpg.f0dd78af9267099d35e396671d0ddb3a.jpg

Get a roll of black duct, or duck, tape. Put a piece on each side of the hole large enough to prevent any further "opening" of the hole. I have several spots on one of my bags where I have "accidentally" cut the fabric. It still works after several years with the above fix.

I am a long time user of Ebay but will never purchase any 2nd hand item that is still manufactured today. Aloha, Bill

• Like 2

John, I remember you! Crikey, it seems ages ago that you sent me a part for my camera; you were too kind then and are too kind now. Thank you but I have patched it: glued two pieces of faux leather over the hole, ha(!) Thank you again for the kind gesture, and have a pint for me. Alice. x
  • Like 1

Talking of (light) traps for the unwary. I carefully turned my changing bag inside out to inspect it and clean it out. Some of the cut edges had started to fray and shed bits of thread. Tidied that up and stuffed the tank and film cassette inside.

I was just about to pop the cassette when I realised I was still wearing my (very) luminescent watch. Doh! - It's been a while since I developed a film, and you can't fog an SD card with a luminous watch.

• Like 1

Changing bags have two layers to protect against many light leaks.

I did always wonder if there could be light piping up the arm, but I guess not enough.

(Maybe with super speed films.)

Also, most often I use the bag in dim light, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Did it fog your film?

Mentioning luminescent watches reminds me of glow-in-the-dark darkroom timers.

Seems like a bad idea to me.

TMZ data sheet even warns about afterglow from fluorescent lamps.

• Like 1

-- glen

The one I have now was mail-order from China. After I ordered it, the seller

thought the price was too low, after paying the shipping. I believe it was

less than $10.

There are ones now on eBay for about $15 from Adorama, or Hong Kong.

The one I have has double sleeve elastic, I don't remember that from my

other bags.

The first one I had was inherited from my grandfather, and was pretty big.

The second one was much smaller, but also the rubber wasn't dried out.

• Like 1

-- glen

I once had some badly fogged film from my 8x10 camera. I took it outside,removed the back and covered my head with a towel and stuck my head inside. I could not see any pinhole leaks.That was disappointing. Then I realized there was so much light inside I could have read the New York Times there. (If I could have fit it in.) The bottom of the bellows had pulled away from the front standard. No wonder i couldn't see any pinhole leaks.
  • Like 2
James G. Dainis

Get a roll of black duct, or duck, tape. Put a piece on each side of the hole large enough to prevent any further "opening" of the hole. I have several spots on one of my bags where I have "accidentally" cut the fabric. It still works after several years with the above fix.

I am a long time user of Ebay but will never purchase any 2nd hand item that is still manufactured today. Aloha, Bill

Took your idea and now the problem's fixed, Thank you. Alice.

I mostly never worried about holes, but the rubber light-proof coating dries up after a while,

and gets cracks, or maybe pinholes like bellows.

But hopefully the second layer of cloth will keep enough light out.

-- glen

If you hadn't lost film, I'd have had to say, Darn (sorry, couldn't resist!). Easy enough to suspend the bag with a light or a flash inside in a dark room for a check. I always used mine in very subdued light.

"Darn" wasn't the word I shouted(!)

• Like 1

My favourite family friendly expletive is 'Fubbleduck'.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound much like an expletive to me, even shouted - or with a couple of letters transposed.

IMHO, an expletive has the sole and therapeutic purpose of relieving momentary tension caused by the conspiracy of things or events seemingly directed solely at the recipient of said misfortune. And if you have to momentarily stop and think, or 'bite your tongue' before issuing the verbal outburst, why then the entire purpose of the expletive is mostly defeated.

"Publish and be damned" - or just issue a wordless cry of anguish!

• Like 1

Myself and my co-workers once had a 'colleague' who was so incompetent that he drove us to absolute distraction. So we wrote a small computer program that generated a random insult along the lines of -

'his name', you [derogatory adjective] [derogatory gerundive] [derogatory gerund] [derogatory noun].

It just saved us thinking up new expletive insults every time he did something unbelievably stupid, and the results were sometimes extremely comical.

Also, we couldn't get blamed for workplace bullying, because the computer did it.

• Like 1

Billy Connolly suggests "getifu" and "you basa" as swearword substitutes. I ofter use "ugger me".

Rodeo Joe's idea reminds me of a story by Arthur C. Clarke, "The Pacifist" about a super computer which was built to work out military strategy. But its designer had a grudge against the commanding general, and programmed it to work perfectly EXCEPT when given military problems, when all it produced were insults to the general.

• Like 1

Myself and my co-workers once had a 'colleague' who was so incompetent that he drove us to absolute distraction. So we wrote a small computer program that generated a random insult along the lines of -

'his name', you [derogatory adjective] [derogatory gerundive] [derogatory gerund] [derogatory noun].

It just saved us thinking up new expletive insults every time he did something unbelievably stupid, and the results were sometimes extremely comical.

Also, we couldn't get blamed for workplace bullying, because the computer did it.

Ha, knew the word "gerund" but had to swat up on the word "gerundive" - still confused as to its usage(!). Alice. x