Monday in Nature, 18 November 2019

DavidTriplett

You're forgiven, but now you don't get credit for stalking and photographing what is normally an extremely shy and reclusive critter.;) (In the interest of full disclosure, I admit I would have needed a change of underwear following such an experience!)

That makes two of us!!!;)

• Like 2

That mountain lion was large - think it might be 6-7 feet. I especially loved following it with my camera as it went from tree to tree and branches - think we had good eye contact. It was loose though under supervision. Thinking back, I was probably inappropriately nonchalant - partially due to a false(?) sense of security as I went about shooting the animals in eagerness. There was surely some amount of risk; I think the trainer was making special efforts to please our group which was led by Len Rue Jr who regularly led groups to this location. On reflection, I would be more aware and more cautious. I was, however, concerned when a huge wolf came so close as to sniff my sneakers and jeans as I was sitting on the ground. I did not dare to move and the trainer looked concerned. I think any false move and frantic reaction may trigger something not so desirable. Maybe not. I don't know, as huge men from UPS and FedEx (just now) are constantly intimidated by my big 120-lb dog on the lawn barking at them. But he is the sweetest dog anyone can have. ;)

When I was in Botswana in 2016, our tour guide (who was not from Botswana, but rather a neighboring country) told us that he is required to have firearm training, and in some countries the safari guides are required to carry a rifle, although not in Botswana (nor Kenya and Tanzania when we were there).

True. On my second safari to Tanzania, a co-participant wanted to get off the vehicle to shoot from eye-level. The group leader asked if I would like to do that too. Of course I would - LOL, So we needed to pay $150 more to have this privilege and the vehicle added a security guard who carried a rifle. Now that visual did give us some concern - but guess not enough deterrence to keep us from getting off the vehicle to aim at lions and other animals. As we were on the ground and had our cameras on tripod at the lowest ground level aiming at 3 adolescent lions looking at us a little bewildered from their siesta, my co-participant joked: "Mary, if we have to run back to the car, there will be no "Ladies First" OK?" Believe he was serious though, and he should.

However, l would never do that again, and don't think anyone should, because stupidity such as this may end up being unfair to the wild animals if they are shot because of our selfish "want" for a photograph. Or worse (for us) if it led to our demise.

Would you like to pet the bats I just posted?! They are pretty cute.

Maybe. I did have encounters with bats at the Monfort Bat Sanctuary at Samal Island of the Philippines. The bats started to fly out at dusk and one landed on my shoulder. I was quite started though.

Edited by Mary Doo

Would you like to pet the bats I just posted?! They are pretty cute.

Very nice image of the bats.

No, I would not! Bats, especially wild bats, can carry rabies and other "interesting" diseases. FYI: rabies is usually fatal, once contracted, and it is not a pretty or easy death.

Your bats look like "Fluffy" the bat that hangs around our front porch. You think they are relatives? No, I do not pet or touch Fluffy. I posted a picture here:

Nikon Wednesday 2019: #44 #21

No, I would not! Bats, especially wild bats, can carry rabies and other "interesting" diseases. FYI: rabies is usually fatal, once contracted, and it is not a pretty or easy death.

Your bats look like "Fluffy" the bat that hangs around our front porch. You think they are relatives? No, I do not pet or touch Fluffy. I posted a picture here:

Cool! I hope Fluffy enjoyed Halloween. It has been suggested on another website that my bats are Townsend's big-eared bats.

The association of bats with rabies is real. Here in Uruguay about 200 head of cattle were lost a few years back because of rabies transmitted by vampire bats. The country had been declared rabies free a few years before. The bats apparently did not recognize international boundaries and came in from Brazil. On investigation, I learned that all serotypes of rabies are not the same and there is one in the bat-bovine relationship that is exhibited predominantly. I am reminded that the largest repositories of rabies in Canada where I used to live (until 2 years ago) is in fox, skunk, coyote and racoons; all species that commonly live in (human) populated areas. Racoon rabies serotype is particularly dangerous and, during an outbreak, my staff and I were immunized against it just in case (University HR directive: academic not realistic IMHO). I often wonder what my titre is now hoping to never have to rely on it.

• Like 1