Film Camera Week for October 25

I’ve been posting a lot of recent images from a week of cars and bikes- The Race Of Gentlemen in Wildwood NJ- shot using my Hasselblad 500.

This event has been ongoing annually for a while - last time I went, in June 2017 I took my old Canon AE1 Program camera and shot some Tri-X.

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2761563005-4.jpg

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2761563012-4.jpg

• Like 5

A couple more from the old AE1. I found this camera for next to nothing g at an estate sale. I always thought it could use a good CLA- it never seemed to focus very well but some of the photos have a nice, almost otherworldly quality to them that makes photos of old stuff look older than they are. Might be the lens, which is a mid grade 50mm.... these are probably both Tri-x too, 400iso I’m sure.

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p3182808524-4.jpg

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p3183707799-4.jpg

• Like 5

I’ve been posting a lot of recent images from a week of cars and bikes- The Race Of Gentlemen in Wildwood NJ- shot using my Hasselblad 500.

This event has been ongoing annually for a while - last time I went, in June 2017 I took my old Canon AE1 Program camera and shot some Tri-X.

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2761563005-4.jpg

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2761563012-4.jpg

They are magic shots. ricochetrider. Sorry for intruding.

• Like 1

Freed Slave House

Haiti (“hay-tie”) Community of Rockville Maryland

I found a few rolls of 1976 Expired RE135-36 in my freezer that expired in 1976, I couldn't resist and thought I would give it a try. I walked through the neighborhood with it loaded in my Yashica TL-Electro, metered at ISO 50 to blast through the expected fogging. I had very low expectations and when I saw the results, I was so surprised! I thought the film would be totally black due to the fogging, but there wasn't nearly as much as I expected. The images scanned well.

48915838848_3cc795ee30_b.jpg

Yashica TL-Electro

50mm f/1.9 Auto-Yashinon DS

HC-110B developed normally at 8 minutes, Pakon F135 Plus scanner, minor PSE adjustments (NO sharpening)

• Like 5

2475- In my college days (mid to late 1970's) I tried a couple of rolls of 2475. I processed in DK-50. It actually worked quite well, considering the grain, I think last year I posted a few images from one of those rolls. My family had a camera shop but 2475 was not a regular item in stock. At the time we did not have a Kodak dealership, but we dealt with a wholesaler that allowed us to order single rolls. So that's how I got to try this film. I also tried a couple of rolls of HIE (Kodak High Speed Infrared). I think I might have rated my 2475 somewhere around E.I. 1000.

Another interest fast film from those days was Kodak's 2484 film.

Here's a link to my tests with 2484. I bought a bulk roll from a seller on ebay.,

Results of Kodak 2484 test

• Like 1

Two from the Minolta Six test roll, TMX 100 in Beutler. It worked OK at the fastest shutter speed of 1/150 for this fishing boat in Buceo harbor..

201915002_zpsp6pybhqy.jpg

But not so well when I did not fully extend the Bakelite sections, I was trying to document the election campaigns; anyway, instructive results came out.

201915009_zpsp42xryak.jpg

I need to learn to operate correctly this fine old camera.

• Like 5

Since it's a long holiday weekend down here I've been fooling around with a Canon T90 I acquired slightly by accident. Since the T90 has become one of my favourite cameras I'd been contemplating finding another copy as a backup before the asking prices becomes really silly, and a tidy example turned up locally in an estate sale so I bought it for somewhat less than one would pay on Ebay. It came with the Canon FD 35-70mm f/4 lens, a lens Ken Rockwell once described as "Looking like something my dog had dug up in the back yard", though he did go on to praise it's performance.

I must admit it's an odd-looking thing with it's deeply recessed front element; this one is desperately in need of cleaning with fungus on the inside of the rear element, always the worst case scenario. However, I ran a film to test camera and lens, to reassure myself that cleaning was worthwhile, and the lens performed surprisingly well, though I suspect it's the least substantial zoom lens Canon ever constructed, with a really lightweight feel and sloppy movements. Anyway, I'll send it off for cleaning, and here is a pic of the lens and a few samples from the film, Kentmere 100 developed in PMK Pyro.

Canon FD 35-70mm f/4

1493168469_CanonFD35-70mmf4.thumb.jpg.0bb95ed215a4a0f04658e182ca062da8.jpg

19651839227810_1965copy.thumb.jpg.77a095f080a673f87bc33c1018df9a54.jpg

Maze

1418443069_Mazecopy.thumb.jpg.18c1d772f4979e966cc975deb9020229.jpg

Waratahs

1550843267_Waratahscopy.thumb.jpg.b03c365ad479ecc1e314c554b5f7d5b3.jpg

• Like 5

Rick- Like the interior shot of the 1965 Mustang, Beautiful car. My first car was a 1969 Mustang. The 35-70 f 4 FD zoom is the same model we once had in stock at the family camera shop. We only had one and it took a long time to sell it. In my town the average user (especially those new to the SLR) seemed to think zooms had to be telephoto zooms and few saw the value of a wide to short tele zoom. I remember trying the 35-70 out on one of our display models and found it a solid, good performing lens. They initially were a bit expensive, but later Canon, Minolta, and Olympus began to offer lower prices on their zooms to lure buyers away from the independent brands. Worked okay for the family business though since we sold Soligor, Sigma, and Tamron lenses to those who wanted to spend less,

Since it's a long holiday weekend down here I've been fooling around with a Canon T90 I acquired slightly by accident. Since the T90 has become one of my favourite cameras I'd been contemplating finding another copy as a backup before the asking prices becomes really silly, and a tidy example turned up locally in an estate sale so I bought it for somewhat less than one would pay on Ebay. It came with the Canon FD 35-70mm f/4 lens, a lens Ken Rockwell once described as "Looking like something my dog had dug up in the back yard", though he did go on to praise it's performance.

I must admit it's an odd-looking thing with it's deeply recessed front element; this one is desperately in need of cleaning with fungus on the inside of the rear element, always the worst case scenario. However, I ran a film to test camera and lens, to reassure myself that cleaning was worthwhile, and the lens performed surprisingly well, though I suspect it's the least substantial zoom lens Canon ever constructed, with a really lightweight feel and sloppy movements. Anyway, I'll send it off for cleaning, and here is a pic of the lens and a few samples from the film, Kentmere 100 developed in PMK Pyro.

Were cup holders standard equipment in that '65 ? ;)

Also on the older Mustangs air conditioning was under the dash rather that with vents built into the dash. It was usually a dealer add on. Not sure what year it was factory with dash vents although my 69 had those. An older friend, though had the under dash which he got from J.C. Whitney.and had a mechanic install it.

2475- In my college days (mid to late 1970's) I tried a couple of rolls of 2475. I processed in DK-50. It actually worked quite well, considering the grain, I think last year I posted a few images from one of those rolls. My family had a camera shop but 2475 was not a regular item in stock. At the time we did not have a Kodak dealership, but we dealt with a wholesaler that allowed us to order single rolls. So that's how I got to try this film. I also tried a couple of rolls of HIE (Kodak High Speed Infrared). I think I might have rated my 2475 somewhere around E.I. 1000.

Another interest fast film from those days was Kodak's 2484 film.

Here's a link to my tests with 2484. I bought a bulk roll from a seller on ebay.,

Results of Kodak 2484 test

I used 2475 a lot in the late 70s, maybe the early 80s and found it quite adequate for the tasks at hand, usually stage or night sports applications where flash was either not allowed or impractical. Until now, I hadn't heard about 2484, sound like something worth looking into!

I've been shooting 2475 Recording at EI 200, loving it.

That sounds reasonable... I think EI 50 might have been overkill, upon further inspection, most of the images were overexposed. I still have some rolls left, so I'll definitely be doing some more experimenting.