Results of Kodak 2484 test

<p>In an earlier post I asked about other Photo.netters' experiences with this film. I have now conducted some of my own tests. I first made a series of shots of the same subject using exposure indices of 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, and 800. I scanned with an Epson V600 at 2400 dpi and resized with MS Picture Manager. No adjustments to brightness or contrast were made other than those made by automatic settings. The remaining shots were done at E.I. 200. Since all my bulk loaders have film, I just unrolled enough for a test roll in total darkness. This film seems to be more easily scratched than conventional films, and maybe a few emulsion flaws here and there, which may be due to unpacking damage.</p><div>00aZJ8-478861584.jpg.ef38ff330cd775eaeb615372e806e281.jpg</div>

<p>The E.I. 25 negative looks overexposed and I probably would not want to make a conventional print from it. Scanning really levels the playing field. BTW, the negatives were processing HC110 dilution B for 5 minutes at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Five inversions in SS tank every thirty seconds after an intial 20 second agitation.</p><div>00aZJB-478863584.jpg.271441a9a94451166a93277cad5530ad.jpg</div>

<p>The above shot at E.I. 100 would print well (even with fog) using a #3 Polycontrast paper on most multigrade RC papers. For all of these photos, I used my Minolta SRT 101 (with fresh zinc air cell) and an MC Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens. Most shots at f8 or f11 and I varied shutter speed for most exposures. I may have used f16 for the E.I. 800 one.</p><div>00aZJG-478867584.jpg.026f2d9e63f34b028c57e7abbe3d4e9a.jpg</div>

<p>The above image is at the advertised (by Freestyle back the 70's) ISO 800. (Pardon the horizontal scratch.) Still usuable, but not up the quality of the E.I. 200 image. I think the fog worked my favor here to keep the contrast down. This was a contrasty film when new. For oscilliscope photography Kodak actually recommended its high contrast D-19 developer.</p><div>00aZJM-478873684.jpg.2ca3c67bb803b83960cad78730a47717.jpg</div>

<p>Quite true. I do plan to make some more tests when the scence includes areas of sunlight and shadow. The film must keep better past date than expected though or even an image with flat lighting would be difficult at E.I. 800 with this film. The sun is shining in the downtown photos, but it is mid morning and not nearly as harsh as it is later in the day. The side of the large building that is shaded also benefits from light reflected from the building across the street so shadows are softened a bit. Well, with only one short roll used out of a 100' roll, I can make lots of tests. I think I can skip the E.I. 25 exposure (and maybe the 50) on my next series of tests.</p>

<p>I dig the grain at low EIs. Sometimes that's a useful look when you want moderate contrast and visible grain without resorting to underexposure and pushing. I've used Delta 3200 at 800-1200 to get that grainy, moderate contrast look, but I don't like to stock up on Delta 3200 since it doesn't keep well.</p>

<p>Thanks, all. The vendor that I bought this from on ebay supposedly has a supply of this film. It's a matter of whether or not between 7 and 8 USD for shipping is worth it. For me it was since I like to experiment. When Freestyle sold this film I think they got $4.95 for 100', but that was in the 1970's.<br>

The next time I make prints in the darkroom I will have to try a few from this film. From looking at the negatives (rather than the scans), the negatives at E.I. 200 look like they might be the easiest to print.</p>