D810 ttl exposure not adjusting with speedlights

jasonluttrell

hi I have a D810. I have tried multiple flashes on it, but when in ttl the photos are over or unexposed. I believe the power the flash is putting out doesnt adjust. Its happed with a sb 900, a nissan and a sb600. When I put the camera in manual with the flash on ttl the photos become brighter or darker as i adjust the aperture. The pop up flash works. I have the iso usually set between 200 and 800. It happens regardless of the lighting. Any ideas what may be causing it? Thanks.

There is a menu item for exposure compensation in the flash alone. Overall compensation (top panel) affects ambient and flash equally.

Automatic exposure with multiple flash units is a fools errand. You spend more time fiddling than shooting. Get a flash meter, set everything in manual mode, and adjust the lighting ratios and exposure according to the meter readings. Do it right the first time.

There is a menu item for exposure compensation in the flash alone. Overall compensation (top panel) affects ambient and flash equally.

Automatic exposure with multiple flash units is a fools errand. You spend more time fiddling than shooting. Get a flash meter, set everything in manual mode, and adjust the lighting ratios and exposure according to the meter readings. Do it right the first time.

Thanks for the reply. The compensation in the flash is set to 0 so that's not the problem. I'm not having this problem when to use multiple flashes.

hi I have a D810. I have tried multiple flashes on it, but when in ttl the photos are over or unexposed. I believe the power the flash is putting out doesnt adjust. Its happed with a sb 900, a nissan and a sb600. When I put the camera in manual with the flash on ttl the photos become brighter or darker as i adjust the aperture. The pop up flash works. I have the iso usually set between 200 and 800. It happens regardless of the lighting. Any ideas what may be causing it? Thanks.

Just to remove one variable, try the shot with just the Nikon flashes - the SB900 and Sb600; remove the Nissan flash just for a test. Put the D810 flash in Commander mode to remove its flash output from the equation.

I just use the YN 560 TX II controller and 3 x YN 560 III flashes..... and manually adjust remotely each one's flash power by inspection of shadows and the camera histograms.

If I need more overall light I might add a few more with dome lights with their own built-in slave triggers.

I do have a flash meter, but I know from experience more or less the ballpark I'll be working in.

Within reason, once they're balanced to taste, not much changes 'on set' exposure wise.... and of course the 'adjuster' for all 3 units is mounted on the hot-shoe...:cool:

• Like 1

I never found i-TTL to live up to its promise of consistent, reliable and correct exposure.

Manual control - either by use of a flashmeter or simple guesstimation and chimping - is far more controllable and consistent. Or if you need some automation, then even old fashioned Auto Aperture mode beats i-TTL.

• Like 1