moving from heavy 6x6 camera to lightweight digital camera

moose

. . .

Well, my age is 60+ and hiking and traveling with my 6x6 medium format analog camera and its equipment becomes more difficult.

Therefor I decided to move to a smaller and hopefully lighter digital equipment. Mostly I use lenses from 24-200 mm, a Spotmeter and tripoid. Most usecases are landscape and outdoor photography, flash isn‘t required but long exposures. And a full manually controlled shooting.

Is this 24-200 on a 6x6 or a 35mm film camera?

I've not heard of a 24mm lens for a 6x6.

Because I don’t have the camera now and come from analog world. So I‘m looking for a way to transfer my current shooting methodes to the digital world.

(snip)

As well as I remember, many of the earlier zoom lenses, especially ones with push/pull zoom,

have DoF indication. Later, and especially with the rotating zoom ring, the scales

went away. Or maybe it was auto-focus lenses when they went away.

For manual focus, and especially for rangefinder cameras, they were somewhat more useful.

I would have to dig out some lenses to see what different ones do.

-- glen

As well as I remember, many of the earlier zoom lenses, especially ones with push/pull zoom,

have DoF indication. Later, and especially with the rotating zoom ring, the scales

went away. Or maybe it was auto-focus lenses when they went away.

ONLY the push/pull zooms have the DoF scale.

You could not put a DoF scale on a 2-ring zoom.

DoF scales also disappeared with autofocus zooms, because most were/are 2-ring zooms.

But, there is ONE autofocus zoom that does have a DoF scale.

It is an electronic scale, and is quite neat. It is the Canon 70-300

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-ii-usm

Please do not obsess about the need or value of DOF markings. They have virtually no value in a camera with an EVF, nor any lens when used wide open. Focus on what you want in sharp relief and let the rest fall where they may, stopping down as needed to get nearby objects in reasonable focus. Be aware that most AF lenses (and some Mf lenses) focus somewhat beyond infinity, to accommodate thermal expansion and the vicissitudes of servo control. You have to actually focus on stars (and mountains) if you want them to be sharp.

There's a limit to how far you stop down with a high-resolution digital camera. Lenses designed for these cameras are nearly as sharp wide open as at f/5.6, and stopping down to f/16, even f/11, results in noticeably soft images. The lenses haven't necessarily changed that much, but now you can actually see the difference.

• Like 2

Hi folks,

many thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and opinions which in most cases are valuable and constructive. I've got a lot of informations for making my buying decision.

Sepcial thanks to Ed_Ingold who did not get tired to share his experiences on moving from 6x6 analog world FF digital world with me and the forum.

Now I'll leave this post/thread, buy camera & lenses and gain experiences with it.

Regards,

moose