Importing Nikon lens from Japan

david_simon

I'm in the US (no import duties), but I've ordered several lenses from Japan with great success.

I always make sure the seller specifically says in the description that the lens has no fungus or haze, though. I read somewhere that cameras/lenses purchased from Japan have a tendency to have fungus because of the humid climate there. I've never been to Japan, so I can't verify this LOL.

Japan is an island nation where most of the major cities are along the coast. The only part of Japan I have ever set foot on are the Tokyo airports, but you can imagine humidity is an issues there.

The advise to use reputable dealers is key. I can imagine that if the lens has issues, returning it all the way to Japan and get a refund can be a lot of hassle.

In this time and age information regarding import duty/tax should be easily available online from your tax authorities.

I lived in Japan for years and bought quite a bit of used photo equipment from local Japanese auction sites. I was never disappointed with my purchases, and mostly the items turned out to be in better condition than the description let me to expect.

Large parts of Japan are very humid during the warm rainy season and fungus can be a problem. Most people with a serious interest in the well being of their cameras will keep their equipment in controlled environments such as dry cases or dry cabinets.

An experienced Japanese seller knows that fungus would be a natural concern of the buyer and would address this concern in the description. If not explicitly described, you must ask - and possibly think of this lacking information a mild warning sign!

The good reputation of Japanese sellers is said to have given rise to non-Japanese sellers who sell (or pretend to sell) out of Japan - If you get the feeling the seller is wrongfully trying to give the impression of being Japanese you should probably walk away.

As with all purchases, you buy the seller before the product.

• Like 1
Niels

My experience in buying 'pre-owned' cameras and lenses directly from Japan to the USA is like those expressed above. Even the shipping time was much shorter than I expected. As said, choose an established seller with a good record on eBay.

During the 1950s, there were some common problems with lens fogging, so do check the description carefully and communicate with the seller if necessary.

Has anyone had any experience buying a used lens from the Japanese photo store sellers on ebay and importing it into Canada? Any idea of the duties and taxes? Some their prices for the big primes are really good even if there are duties and taxes to import them.

Yes. No duty. HST/GST only plus a handling fee if importing by the postal system. Don't recall what the handling fee was exactly, but it is a fixed cost and not related to the value of item. $15 or less I think.

I have purchased several lenses as well as other equipment from Japan. I never had to worry about taxes or duties. The only thing I did was hit the buy-now button. i got to admit purchasing an item that is above $200 from a foreign seller can be a little heart wrenching especially since shipping might take longer...

Japan is an island nation where most of the major cities are along the coast. The only part of Japan I have ever set foot on are the Tokyo airports, but you can imagine humidity is an issues there.

The advise to use reputable dealers is key. I can imagine that if the lens has issues, returning it all the way to Japan and get a refund can be a lot of hassle.

Camera stores in Tokyo Japan are very tight. When I was there last April I loved to visit the stores but my wife hated it as they got her Claustrophobia .

From my expirience, it was tax free, if they use express mail. If they use something like FedEx, those services will try to collect nonexistent taxes, Ebay own global shipping, running the same scam.

I have bought Nikon 300/4D for 400 or 500 USD, shipped from Japan to Canada.