Film Camera Week for September 20

Nice results, Rick. The Chinon and its lens are very capable performers. I have a 90's vintage Chinon 45mm f 2.8 pancake lens that I would use, but the diaphragm is sluggish. When it worked properly, it was a good lens. I think the 45mm was made by Cosina. I've also seen that lens sold as a Ricoh. Regarding photography courses, the Chinon was a more advanced choice (from metering viewpoint) than the popular Pentax K1000 as the K1000 was simple match needle, I think instructors recommended the K1000 because it was inexpensive yet easy to find. During my college days (mid 1970's) photo students in my area tended to have Nikkormats and Minolta SRT's since no one close by was a Pentax dealer.

I think before going to K mount, Chinon (and others sharing same M42 mount) went to a fast metering system (silicon?) that allowed quick readings just as lens stopped down at press of shutter release, thus minimizing the inconvenience (or perceived inconvenience) of stop down metering. I think some of them even had aperture priority automation.

The Chinon CE Memotron (also sold as GAF, Argus, Sears, etc.) had aperture-priority automation, silicon-cell metering, Copal shutter with 1/2000 sec. top speed, and PX28 battery. I believe these are based on the Cosina Hi-Lite EC, which had essentially the same specifications. I'm not sure whether the design may have been licensed to Chinon to build, or whether Cosina built and rebranded all of them. The Cosina-made Vivitar 650/SLX also had the above specifications plus spot metering, though apparently never released to market.

The Chinonflex TTL, Ricoh Singlex TLS, and Cosina Hi-Lite are all basically the same as each other too.

Edited by m42dave

mark4583|1 said:

That's a very nice lens, Mark, as expected, and overall a great result from a first outing with the camera.

Thanks, had a little trouble not over exposing, I wasn't thinking when I put a roll of 400Tmax that I had a max 500 speed and it was very bright and sunny, so about a 1/3 of my shot came out over exposed, next trip will be with some 100 I think. As nice as this camera feels the shutter was somewhat odd, it was very quite but sounded like it had a broke spring or something with every shot, just a metallic dink, but it performed just fine, this camera came if a box with several others, some Ziess/Ikons, Voigtlanders and Kodak Retina's, so far it looks as if most of them work.

A production for Netflix took over the main square in Montevideo for several days. A big barrier was erected, with Army trucks and tanks included. I had not seen these Army displays since 1968-1973, but back then it was not for a film.

The girl on the right was trying to convince onlookers that they were not allowed to take pictures, without much success. She looked suspiciously at my old SLR..

201910021_zpsowwswrwv.jpg

Many people were trying to get some images as a souvenir, though the barriers and the artificial haze.

201910022_zpscdwnk7qi.jpg

Contarex with 50/1.4 Planar, FP4+ in Beutler. .

• Like 5

I've been testing a new roll of Arista EDU Ultra 100 ISO, loading a length into a Yashica 230 AF fitted with the 28-85mm Yashica Kyocera f/3.4-4.5 lens. This lens is proving to be one of my favourites; as well as being very sharp it has remarkably low levels of distortion for a zoom and renders a very full tonal range.The Arista was up to the usual standards. It was a morning with a high overcast sky, ideal for testing both film and lens, and I was impressed by the results. I'll post a couple of frames; the film was developed in the usual PMK Pyro. I make no claim to any degree of artistic content!

Our Town #2

1959756282_OurTown2.thumb.jpg.3dce2fbff7205f1133abdc619ec040ce.jpg

Our Town #1

1688541867_OurTown1.thumb.jpg.00fd72fd849792a6313b3c6a87ba7fc6.jpg

Our Town #4

2093047824_OurTown4.thumb.jpg.736a405acb881a1d1f2d92e9d6b75442.jpg

• Like 5

This is from my home made 5x7. I've not shown shots from it before as I had a light leak mystery. Seems the old kodak film holder was the culprit fogging the right side of the film.. A new nice looking holder seems to have fixed the problem. DOF without movements is a challenge The focus here was on the center stump in front of the shed. By the time you get to the tree on the left rear of the shed focus is already fading. and that is at F22. Film was Foma 200 exposed @100. light yellow filter used. 5 minutes in straight D76. Excuse the exposure and tones as this was a semi backlit backyard test shot to see if I killed the leak.

1106437929_Untitled-testfoma200d76copy2.jpg.427cdf10ceac8985b544d364c3d5d8ee.jpg

• Like 2