Photo opportunities in Spain

Hello, community

I am going to Spain at the end of September.

Wanted to ask if people can suggest what a photographer can get out of a 7 day trip there.

No specific itinerary yet, just a plain ticket to Madrid.

I want to spent time hunting for sights to put in a frame rather than shopping or dining.

I understand there are beautiful cathedrals and such, so if anyone can suggest a time in a day and a location spots where to take pictures, that would be most appreciated. As part of a vacation experience, I want to be taking trains in there, travelling from place to place, so it is not just one city I am interested in

These are a few places I've been.

In Madrid, there is the Prado art museum, and the Royal Palace

In San Lorenzo (northwest of Madrid) there is El Escorial palace, museum and royal burial chamber

Granada: The Alhambra (reserve early, there's a waiting list)

Barcelona: Sagrada Familiar, by Gaudi, Guell Park (also Gaudi), Las Rambles (pedestrian boulevard), medieval section, wall to wall pickpockets.

Avila: A walled city dating to the time of El Cid

You can't throw a rock without hitting a cathedral. Many do not allow photography

• Like 1

Aditionally you migth get a guidebook for the country...often they give a fuller picture than online stuff, and you can then plan an itinerary based on your personal interests.Ppersonally I most enjoyed the Gaudi architecture and myriad of flamenco performances after all the gastronomic engagements.
  • Like 2

Most of the things to see in Spain are indoors or on narrow streets. I found that a 17-35/2.8 lens was used more than anything else. I also had a 24-70/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8 IS. The last was used only a handful of times. I'm sure there are plenty of scenic landscapes, but at the time I was touring with an orchestra. The great outdoors was mostly a way to get from one "indoors" to another.

I find that travel guides by Rick Steves are about the best for planning an ambulatory vacation. Steves' guides have a good balance between eating, entertainment, historical locations and great scenery, with lots of photos. For lodging, Lodging via AirBNB is more than adequate, especially if you don't have a firm timetable, and local restaurants and pubs (Ireland) for meals. In Spain, evening meals are seldom before 9:00 pm, so you don't have to rush out.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hmmm seems that there is more than one post similar to this where some one says, "I am traveling to ________. What ________ does everyone suggest for my trip?"

I would love it if folks such as our OP here and others like them, would ask these questions and then come back from their trip and show us photos of what they found. Doesn't seem to happen very often.

@BratNikotin where are you and what did you find in Spain?

• Like 1

I would love it if folks such as our OP here and others like them, would ask these questions and then come back from their trip and show us photos of what they found

While I do not post such questions since I prefer finding my own subjects to photograph and prefer randomness I have recently returned from my first ever trip to Spain. I did post some of the photographs from that trip, with their locations. So for future travelers to Spain, should you care see some ideas, you can find them here.

Of course your results my vary ;-)

• Like 2

I find that there are photo opportunities anywhere you go. Unless you are trying to create stock images for travel magazines, keep your eyes open and grab a shot wherever you see one. I find that some of my favorite shots are close to home where I have had the opportunity to explore more and shoot under varying conditions. On the other hand, travelling presents you with new and interesting material, but unless you can stay a while you have to take the conditions you are given, and may not have the time to explore the subject. We took a family trip to Spain last year. Here is a Flickr album of some of what I shot while there:

Spain 2018

• 1 month later...