Just a Beginning of Monsoon

Rachana

I’m seeing this image as a celebration of the renewal and life that the onset of rains brings after a long dry season; it evokes the feeling of relief and excitement that I get when the autumn rains in my region finally return—I can almost smell the newly damp soil.

The aspect of the image that I find most attractive is the rich array of greens. Other elements that catch my interest are the backlit leaves in the upper right, the suggestion of vertical lines in the foreground left and center, and the massive dark horizontal line of the branch.

Distracting influences are the bright sky at the top and some of the details in the mid-ground shadows (which make the image very busy-looking). There’s not a strong composition here, though the branch comes close--I think the reasons the branch isn't working for me as a major focus of interest are that (1) the greens are so compelling in comparison, (2) the base of the tree is out of the frame, and (3) the branch is of the same tonal value as the background right in the center of the frame. The other interesting elements in the image aren’t connected in a way that they support one another, so there’s no particular center of interest to attract my eye. That can work out OK if an image has a strong overall pattern or texture that works as a unifying theme, or has an eye-path (even if subtle) through the image--that's where the branch almost works for me.

As I see it, the challenge in post-processing an image like this is to find a way to guide the viewer’s eye through the image in a satisfying way (either by developing the theme or the eye-path or both), and that usually involves cropping, modifying exposure, and playing with contrast. I don’t know what post-processing software you have available, but these a couple of ideas that you might enjoy playing with:

1. To my eye, the major player here is the greens, so it may be useful to modify the exposure to support their leading role (if that's what you intended). If the overall exposure is reduced by 1 to 1.5 stops, the light-struck greens would be well-exposed, while the shaded portions would be underexposed and would lose some of their distracting detail. If you have software that allows you to increase the white point while reducing the highlights, that would enhance this effect, as would increasing overall contrast; the result would be that the illuminated greens would appear to glow more because of their increased contrast against the darks.
  2. The major distractions for me are conveniently located at the top of the frame and at the left, away from most of the elements I’m most attracted to, so experimenting with different crops might lead to some intriguing results. One strategy might be to crop square, just low enough to exclude the sky and leaving just the right-hand side of the frame. This would produce an image with a unifying theme of horizontal contrasting lines of greens and darks: the bright backlit leaves, the dark branch, the bright ground vegetation, a dark shadow, more bright vegetation, and a dark foreground. The backlit tree foliage would then come into play as an important focus of interest because it isn’t overwhelmed by the bright sky.

Anyway, please interpret my comments as only one person's view, and realize that my opinions are probably heavily influenced by my experiences with long dry seasons (hence my focus on the greens)--it's quite possible that others will indeed perceive the branch as the star player here, and that might lead to entirely different strategies for editing.

• Like 1

Rachana, please accept the following bits of feedback as constructive. Quite honestly, the only element of the image that needs improvement is the detail, which should be sharper. I'm somewhat puzzled by the image's title, since before actually viewing it, I expected to see rain falling, rain on the vegetation, or puddles. I do like the balanced tonality, and the greens are lush and vivid. Finally, perhaps you should consider whether the image would have more impact by converting it to b&w.
  • Like 1

This image frustrates me a lot. First, I see no connection to "monsoon." It's loaded with details, but I can't make out any real details. For example, the upper right might may show a flowering tree, or it might be blown-out leaves in the sun, showing as white. Is there a stone wall back there? If so, it's largely obscured by the limb. Is the limb full of details? I can almost see detail in the bark, but it's too small a feature of the overall image, if that's the case. The foreground greenery has a bunch of ugly, dead stalks popping up. It's like, "Look at this lovely green scene!", but it's full of dead stuff.

Maybe it's a slightly overgrown garden, needing work, and this is the "before" picture in a "before and after" series. If that's the story, it works.

I think part of the confusion that reviewers are experiencing here is with the definition of monsoon--many people assume that it just means a heavy rainstorm. Here's a formal definition:

Monsoon --a seasonal prevailing wind in the region of South and Southeast Asia, blowing from the southwest between May and September and bringing rain (the wet monsoon ), or from the northeast between October and April (the dry monsoon ).

• Like 4

I think part of the confusion that reviewers are experiencing here is with the definition of monsoon--many people assume that it just means a heavy rainstorm. Here's a formal definition:

Monsoon --a seasonal prevailing wind in the region of South and Southeast Asia, blowing from the southwest between May and September and bringing rain (the wet monsoon ), or from the northeast between October and April (the dry monsoon ).

And how does that definition connect with the image?

My issue is not with the title. Sometimes, a title is important in keying me into something the photographer wants to convey. Sometimes, it's not. Here, the picture seems to speak for itself and the title seems pretty matter-of-fact. As a matter of fact, so does the picture. I think that goes along well with the tone of a lot of Rachana's portfolio, taken as a whole.

While I don't find this picture terribly compelling, it did inspire me to go to Rachana's portfolio to help me understand what it was attempting. Doing that explains a bit. While I would probably nix this one in particular, there's enough matter-of-fact photos with a little something extra that can emerge from this portfolio. In being an attempt at furthering that vision, I applaud this photo, even while I, personally, would not include it with some of the better shots with a similar tone in the portfolio.

The sky is unfortunate and the main branch, while I see why it would appeal as a strong graphic element (even if the greater subject is the green-ness, the garden, and/or the mess), is not really enough to sustain the photo or to continue piquing my interest. I think the messiness of it all along with the strewn green(!) bottle to the left of center is where the potential voice in this picture lies, considering the portfolio it's in.

I think seeing it in light of other photos such as MORNING WALK, FATHER, POINT OF DEVIATION, EXITING EVE, and LOST IN THE MIST at least explains to me the attempt here much more than the title does in this case. I think something emerging in at least some of Rachana's work is almost a rejection of the classic notion of "subject" and more a desire to create or express a mood that is not necessarily tangible or distinctly named or focused.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Monsoon is not solely about rain. It’s a season, some would argue, even a state of mind, and many other things specific to the geographical region. Rain triggers a whole cascade of events that transform the landscape, wild life and people’s livelihoods. The first rains bring out the new leaves in the summer-scorched landscape that have the distinctive bright green color, seen in the photo above. It’s also most likely early in the season, since some of the land shows the bare soil. Later on, it will just be green everywhere.

To me, the photo tells about unkempt, raw nature, rich and dynamic, and the composition works for me. A flat overcast sky is less appealing in a lot of cases, but here I don’t mind it. I like how the gradation of brightness descends from the white sky to the backlit leaves, to the translucent green below. I think, it adds to the dynamism of the scene. I also find the inclusion of the wavy tree branch appealing, because it is like a warm embrace and canopy to the baby greens below. For me, it makes the scene cozy and welcoming. Monsoon has its tender side and this is what this scene focuses on, in my opinion.

I think, avoiding showing the rain was a great idea, since people tend to focus on the rain and it can quickly become straight forward and feel-good from that point onwards. Rather, the photo shows the environment associated with rain - the bright green and the overcast sky, which reminds me about monsoon in a better way than straight rain would have.

One point, the vertical sticks or dead stalks that dcstep thought were ugly are actually aerial roots, probably from banyan trees or other mangrove branches. That’s also a familiar characteristic of the monsoon landscape. I am not arguing whether thats ugly or not, just clarifying what they are.

One last thought, monsoon landscapes in India or other tropical countries are very different than the pristine neat meadows and forests of British isles or France. They are messy and disordered, and I love it that way. Thats their aesthetics. That’s just me though. Growth is extremely fast and somewhat uneven, in response to high rain after summer.

Edited by Supriyo
  • Like 3

I apologize for being late to this thread due to travels. (Banzai trip to and back from Seattle to move my son and his soon-to-be wife.) I'm torn on this one. I can find things to agree with in Leslie's, Dave's, and Supriyo's comments, while not agreeing completely with any of them. Along with their comments, my very first impression is not of a strong, evocative image. To me, it feels off-kilter and without a primary subject, nor with an overarching theme, other than the "green". I see potential with this site and subject matter, but this composition and presentation does not really move me or capture my imagination. I wish I had more positive things to say, but I will give a hearty +1 to the positives as seen by others. Clearly, this is an example of "eye of the beholder" aesthetics.

"eye of the beholder" aesthetics.

I’m skeptical of “eye of the beholder” aesthetics.

While each person is entitled to their opinions and taste regarding any photo posted, we tend to give reasons, for a reason. Those reasons tend to refer to objective criteria. Having read enough critiques over the years, given them myself, and been the subject of them myself, I’ve observed that some people’s eyes are better at beholding than others. That doesn’t dis-entitle anyone to their taste or opinion, but it does entitle me to give more sway to certain opinions over others, and not just because I may agree with some and disagree with others. A really good critique may very well get me to see something I hadn’t or see something in a different light. In that case, “beauty” can actually be explained and one can even be led to beholding it.

Anyway, I just discovered this guy and liked what he had to say and the lightness of his touch and style in saying it. It’s just under 10 minutes.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

I’m skeptical of “eye of the beholder” aesthetics.

While each person is entitled to their opinions and taste regarding any photo posted, we tend to give reasons, for a reason. Those reasons tend to refer to objective criteria. Having read enough critiques over the years, given them myself, and been the subject of them myself, I’ve observed that some people’s eyes are better at beholding than others. That doesn’t dis-entitle anyone to their taste or opinion, but it does entitle me to give more sway to certain opinions over others, and not just because I may agree with some and disagree with others. A really good critique may very well get me to see something I hadn’t or see something in a different light. In that case, “beauty” can actually be explained and one can even be led to beholding it.

Anyway, I just discovered this guy and liked what he had to say and the lightness of his touch and style in saying it. It’s just under 10 minutes.

Interesting stuff. Will our "Ideal Critic" please step forward?

Interesting stuff. Will our "Ideal Critic" please step forward?

lol. Hopefully not!

The idea is really just that eyes vary in some substantive (and objective) ways. "Eye of the beholder" is in counterpoint to that important factor when it comes to aesthetic judgments or assessments.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Well, lacking an "Ideal Critic" then, as you say, "Eyes of the beholder" is what we're stuck with.

I do think it's interesting to think of Hume's qualifications for an Ideal Critic for self evaluation. I'm far from qualified, regarding most topics, but I do have some relative strengths.

Well, lacking an "Ideal Critic" then, as you say, "Eyes of the beholder" is what we're stuck with.

That's not what I'm saying. To me, actually, giving into an "eye of the beholder" approach is, in a sense, giving up. What helps us improve either as photographers or critics if it were left all to "eye of the beholder?" How would we learn from each other and know when it's worth learning from something someone says and when it's not if it were left only to "eye of the beholder?"

What I'm saying is that "eye of the beholder" is inadequate and that, though none of us is an ideal critic, there are critiques that are relatively better and more sound than others, as Hume says, for instance ones where I sense the critic has noticed relevant details, has an experienced enough eye to relate some photos to historical references they may be making, is attuned enough to symbolism to see it if it's there, etc.

So, for example, if a critic doesn't like something, he's entitled not to. But if I sense or have reason to believe he's missed important details because he doesn't see well or doesn't have a developed enough eye to see certain things or simply doesn't spend enough time to take in the details of a picture, his critique is going to be a lot less "ideal" than others.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

That's not what I'm saying. To me, actually, giving into an "eye of the beholder" approach is, in a sense, giving up.

The point I was trying to make in my prior statement was to acknowledge that others were seeing positive features in the OP's image that had escaped my original consideration, and many of which still did not give me the same warm-fuzzies that others seemed to have. I won't describe myself as any kind of "ideal" critic, but I try to be rational and offer reasonable, meaningful evaluations. In this case others had already made virtually all of the detailed points, so there was little purpose other than to acknowledge them and add my own general impressions for emphasis. Let's not, please, go backwards into arguing whether or not there's any validity to the fact that we all see things differently and can have very different perspectives on what we find aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 2

Let's not, please, go backwards into arguing whether or not there's any validity to the fact that we all see things differently and can have very different perspectives on what we find aesthetically pleasing.

That's not what I was doing by offering the video and my comments.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

Hi Leslie,

This is the most wonderful comment I have ever received.

From all aspect, Understanding the photo, compliments, plus-minus points, and full guidance.

First of all, how perfectly you got my feelings.

What you are written here, is the exact interpretation of my feelings.

” I’m seeing this image as a celebration of the renewal and life that the onset of rains brings after a long dry season; it evokes the feeling of relief and excitement that I get when the autumn rains in my region finally return—I can almost smell the newly damp soil. “

These are the exact interpretation of my thoughts while composing for click.

“The aspect of the image that I find most attractive is the rich array of greens. Other elements that catch my interest are the backlit leaves in the upper right, the suggestion of vertical lines in the foreground left and center, and the massive dark horizontal line of the branch.”

These are the exact points which were bothering me but were unavoidable.

“Distracting influences are the bright sky at the top and some of the details in the mid-ground shadows (which make the image very busy-looking).”

You got connected with the image and by-heart, came out with the flaws and uninteresting part in the image. (And not as plain technical critic) It is mentioned very nicely and in detail.

Most important thing is, You have not just stopped by pointing out flaws but suggested the ways to overcome it. That, too, Very Deep and in-Detail !

Thank So much for taking out time and appreciating me, and guiding me.

I am really thrilled and inspired.

I Would Love to have guidance in future, too.

Regards,

Rachana Kulkarni

• Like 1

I’m also thrown by the title. It looks like the middle of the monsoon season rather than the beginning. Other than that, it’s a pleasant enough photo. If posted to the NW In a forest thread, I’d predict no more than 5 likes

Hi,

Thanks for appreciation, Ludmilla.

The photo is really of the beginning and not in the deep forest. My city is blessed with surround wilder nature and Mangroves. (India, Navi Mumbai, Airoli)

Wandering in this wilder nature is utmost pleasure for me.

This year summer was terribly hot and monsoon got delayed. We were eagerly waiting for it.

Just 3-4 (but fairly heavy) rains, changed the scene drastically. I have posted comparison photo on FB.

Leslie, has perfectly described my feeling about the the photo

Regards,

Rachana Kulkarni

Rachana, please accept the following bits of feedback as constructive. Quite honestly, the only element of the image that needs improvement is the detail, which should be sharper. I'm somewhat puzzled by the image's title, since before actually viewing it, I expected to see rain falling, rain on the vegetation, or puddles. I do like the balanced tonality, and the greens are lush and vivid. Finally, perhaps you should consider whether the image would have more impact by converting it to b&w.

Hi,

Thanks for appreciation, michaellinder

Feedback and critic are always welcome.

The photo is really of the beginning and not in the deep forest. My city is blessed with surround wilder nature and Mangroves. (India, Navi Mumbai, Airoli)

Wandering in this wilder nature is utmost pleasure for me.

This year summer was terribly hot and monsoon got delayed. We were eagerly waiting for it.

Just 3-4 (but fairly heavy) rains, changed the scene drastically. I have posted comparison photo on FB.

Leslie, has perfectly described my feeling about the the photo

Regards,

Rachana Kulkarni

• Like 1

My issue is not with the title. Sometimes, a title is important in keying me into something the photographer wants to convey. Sometimes, it's not. Here, the picture seems to speak for itself and the title seems pretty matter-of-fact. As a matter of fact, so does the picture. I think that goes along well with the tone of a lot of Rachana's portfolio, taken as a whole.

While I don't find this picture terribly compelling, it did inspire me to go to Rachana's portfolio to help me understand what it was attempting. Doing that explains a bit. While I would probably nix this one in particular, there's enough matter-of-fact photos with a little something extra that can emerge from this portfolio. In being an attempt at furthering that vision, I applaud this photo, even while I, personally, would not include it with some of the better shots with a similar tone in the portfolio.

The sky is unfortunate and the main branch, while I see why it would appeal as a strong graphic element (even if the greater subject is the green-ness, the garden, and/or the mess), is not really enough to sustain the photo or to continue piquing my interest. I think the messiness of it all along with the strewn green(!) bottle to the left of center is where the potential voice in this picture lies, considering the portfolio it's in.

I think seeing it in light of other photos such as MORNING WALK, FATHER, POINT OF DEVIATION, EXITING EVE, and LOST IN THE MIST at least explains to me the attempt here much more than the title does in this case. I think something emerging in at least some of Rachana's work is almost a rejection of the classic notion of "subject" and more a desire to create or express a mood that is not necessarily tangible or distinctly named or focused.

Hi Samstevens,

Thanks a lot for appreciation and having look at my portfolio.

What you have analysed is absolutely perfect. My titles are expressions of my deep feeling / Mood which I am trying to capture.

Like in FATHER .....

Father is first hero, a superman for any little daughter.

She always have full faith that her father can save her from any trouble.

Here, the land is full of stones and the little girl is barefoot. Her shoes are far away.

But She has her super FATHER... Her protector with her.

Her actions and body language, speaks. I could read, feel , sense all that and could not stop myself from clicking it.

BUT as you said, it is not straightforward title.

It may disappoint viewers, if they are unable to grasp the deep feelings behind it. (and of-course, my pic has to be strong enough to express it, in first place)

Some times I feel we should , express in few words , too , just to make others to understand your view (they may get related to it or not )

Samstevens, Really feel very much happy when some one ''understands' you. Whether He/she agrees with you or not is different matter.

Trying to understand someone is a BIG QUALITY (& probably rare, too) Thanks !

Regards,

Rachana

Edited by Rachana

Monsoon is not solely about rain. It’s a season, some would argue, even a state of mind, and many other things specific to the geographical region. Rain triggers a whole cascade of events that transform the landscape, wild life and people’s livelihoods. The first rains bring out the new leaves in the summer-scorched landscape that have the distinctive bright green color, seen in the photo above. It’s also most likely early in the season, since some of the land shows the bare soil. Later on, it will just be green everywhere.

To me, the photo tells about unkempt, raw nature, rich and dynamic, and the composition works for me. A flat overcast sky is less appealing in a lot of cases, but here I don’t mind it. I like how the gradation of brightness descends from the white sky to the backlit leaves, to the translucent green below. I think, it adds to the dynamism of the scene. I also find the inclusion of the wavy tree branch appealing, because it is like a warm embrace and canopy to the baby greens below. For me, it makes the scene cozy and welcoming. Monsoon has its tender side and this is what this scene focuses on, in my opinion.

I think, avoiding showing the rain was a great idea, since people tend to focus on the rain and it can quickly become straight forward and feel-good from that point onwards. Rather, the photo shows the environment associated with rain - the bright green and the overcast sky, which reminds me about monsoon in a better way than straight rain would have.

One point, the vertical sticks or dead stalks that dcstep thought were ugly are actually aerial roots, probably from banyan trees or other mangrove branches. That’s also a familiar characteristic of the monsoon landscape. I am not arguing whether thats ugly or not, just clarifying what they are.

One last thought, monsoon landscapes in India or other tropical countries are very different than the pristine neat meadows and forests of British isles or France. They are messy and disordered, and I love it that way. Thats their aesthetics. That’s just me though. Growth is extremely fast and somewhat uneven, in response to high rain after summer.

Hi Supriyo,

"Monsoon is not solely about rain. It’s a season, some would argue, even a state of mind" What a Wonderful Quote ! You said it !!

Such a beautiful and powerful expression into words of one's picture and state of mind behind the pic.

Another Wonderful appreciation, I have ever received.

I am so much delighted that , you have exactly expressed 'What I have Seen' and ''How I have felt" and in such a rhythmic, poetic way.

Your words, your feelings on Indian monsoon landscape are lovable ... I have exact feelings... I love this wilder nature, full of variety. it is blissful, energetic,

Thanks a lot Supriyo ! feel so much excited ..

Regards,

Rachana Kulkarni