Zenit M

ruslan

Sorry I don't even know what it's retail channels might be, in the west. -

Does it make sense to buy it?

All digital M bodies so far have been nice fun cameras. (At least in the eyes of their fans &/ longer term owners.)

Who am I to object against somebody else's plan to buy some too? - Owning a 4th might be a bit overdone / less rational but I'd nod your first three through, blindfolded.

M240 platform pros: shooting tethered. Odd video clip. more affordable.

Cons: M10 + Capable AF cameras.

Money? - A bang for the buck choice should look different and better provide IBIS. But if you want(!) that camera and could afford it sufficiently easily, who cares?

Zenit as a brand? - Desirable; I dreamed of silkscreening "Zorki" on my unlabeled M body.

35/1.0 kit lens: I haven't seen reviews or sample images. - I am quite content with an f2.0 and might buy Mandler's ultra compact (spherical) 'lux someday. - Shooting VF blocking lenses isn't that nice in my eyes. - It can be done, but still... I'd happily sacrifice insane lens speed for shooting convenience.

35/1.0 kit lens: I haven't seen reviews or sample images.

A lot of veil wide open, warm, old, style rendering and bokeh.

If it cost say 2000 - 2300 USD (Euros) for a body I'd seriously consider it with Voigtlaender 50 1.2 M.

If it's cheap, go for it. If it's not then don't. Zenit/Krasnogorsk is not what I would ever call a modern, high quality brand, and I speak as a former Zenit-B/Zenit enlarger user. You might get lucky but you may not. That's why you have to be prepared to have largely wasted your money.
Robin Smith

I've read conflicting information about the Zenit M, with some sources saying that the camera was only designed in Russia, others stating that the camera is 100% Russian made. The camera body itself says "Designed in Krasnogorsk, Russia."

In any case, I don't think assumptions or judgments based on the brand name or previous Soviet-era Zenit cameras are particularly meaningful. The modern company is a capable manufacturer, producing a wide range of high-tech industrial and optical products. As a Zenit collector, I've always found KMZ lenses to be of high optical quality.

If it cost say 2000 - 2300 USD (Euros) for a body I'd seriously consider it

If it is really a limited run of cosmetically altered M (240)s, that price would be unlikely to happen, with the freshly announced M-E (based on the same platform) marketed at 3950€

If it's cheap, go for it. If it's not then don't. Zenit/Krasnogorsk is not what I would ever call a modern, high quality brand, and I speak as a former Zenit-B/Zenit enlarger user. You might get lucky but you may not. That's why you have to be prepared to have largely wasted your money.

I understand your point, though B was of circa 1972 model?

M is a pig in a poke.

I hadn't heard of it before this thread.. Surely it's just a dressed up (or dressed down) M240 'designed in Krasnogorsk' in much the same way as the M10 variant 'designed by Andrea Zagato'?

Leica M10 Edition Zagato

The story behind the Zenit M is probably more interesting than the camera itself - presumably there's enough nostalgia in Russia for the Zenit brand to make it viable for Leica to do a production run (and use up some more M240 parts into the bargain). It reminds me a bit of the time Apple made an HP-branded iPod:

Looking back at the iPod + HP

A bit of googling finds a hands-on at dpreview:

Photokina 2018: Zenit and Leica collaborate on new 'M'

and the site of the Russian design company that worked on the cosmetics:

Проект фотокамера Зенит М

(Google Translate in Chrome does a decent job).

They were targeting 35+ year old men who remembered shooting (or their parents shooting) the Zenit E, which was a reference point for the design.