Refurb workstation for editing?

I will have lots of fun moving the data on the current HD to the new machine. ("Pointing" apps to the data on the HD from the SSD, etc.)

I can think of two easy ways:

1) Connect both machines to a gigabit LAN. Change the disk on the old machine to SHARED and give EVERYONE Full control. On the new machine access the old machine's shared disk. Use Robocopy to copy files across the LAN from the old machine to the new machine.

2) Remove the disk from the old machine and move it to the new machine. Use Robocopy to copy the files from one disk to the other. This is a bit riskier since you are moving hardware. Be sure you have good backups before you try to move the physical disk.

• Like 1

Machine up and running. PCIe SSD lives up to its hype--super fast boot, app launches, etc. PS and LR normal operations are very fast. No more lag with the spotting brush on very large (80MP) scans. Had one moment of panic when the thing wouldn't boot due to "disk read error". Turned out to be the USB flash drive I left connected. As far as Topaz AI software is concerned. It is much faster with 24MP digital files. Two or three minutes to process rather than previous fifteen minutes or more. Preview now updates quickly, but not quite in real time. According to GPU-Z, the graphics card is at 100% while processing, fan speed is high and temp is 60 deg. C. According to Reliable Sources, I can put a GTX 1070 8GB card in there with the existing PSP. Sometime in the future, I'll do that.