Adobe Doubles the Price of Lightgroom/Photoshop Bundle

Strictly speaking, you own the license and apparently, Adobe can revoke it at any time when the product is discontinued.

They and other's can of course; read the EULA. Now why? I'm still running LR 5 without issue or any such warnings. I'm also running the latest CC version, no issue.

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strictly speaking, you own the license and apparently, Adobe can revoke it at any time when the product is discontinued.

I'm still using the standalone Lightroom 6 even though I also have the subscription for Lightroom CC and Photoshop because occasionally I need some Photoshop functions (for some reason CC is slow and sluggish for me compared to Lightroom 6 and which is why I keep using Lightroom 6).

So today I received an email from Adobe saying that I'm no longer licensed to use Lightroom 6. The nerves they have to tell me this as a "Valued Customer" while I'm also already paying for a subscription with a sluggish Lightroom CC.

[ATTACH=full]1294674[/ATTACH]

Is this serious? Not a practical joke? Adobe is revoking paid up licenses so you’ll go on subscription???

Worse. Revoking the use of LR6 even if you do have a subscription to CC as I have. At least that's what I understand from the email I received (maybe they're also "experimenting" with sending out these emails to some but not all customers that they have on record as still using the standalone versions).

Was your LR6 license perpetual or subscription?

That’s crazy. I never owned that version but I always thought the perpetual licenses were supposed to be, well, perpetual.

The license is perpetual but that doesn't mean you can always use it forever. Again, read any software's EULA; all spelled out. No one ever 'owned' their software. They owned a license to use it under the EULA everyone agreed to just to get the software to run the first time. What's a shame is so few read what they've agreed to.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

perpetual - Wiktionary

Agree w Phil. When you pay full price for software and it’s not stated clearly in a prominent place on the package or order page that it’s time-limited, you have a reasonable expectation that you’re paying for a license you can use as long as you want. If Adobe has called it something like “Lightroom 6, 2 year license” that would be different.

That doesn't make any sense because that's precisely what a perpetual license means. They can discontinue the product all they want. It isn't going to stop me to continue using what I paid for.

It makes no sense because you agreed to an EULA without reading or understanding what you agreed to! I'm sorry the facts have ruined your day. Start here, move on:

Photoshop Lightroom End User License Agreement - Adobe Labs

2. Software License. If you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, as further set forth below. See Section 14 for specific provisions related to certain components.

In this one paragraph, you've been told by Adobe you must comply with their terms in order for them to grant you non exclusive use of their product.

NOWHERE does the term perpetual license show up nor would I expect anyone to do so. Such a 'perceptual licensee' grants the user the perpetual (non-expiring) right to use a given application or feature IF and WHEN they comply with the EULA.

You may have paid for something, you also agreed to the terms of use before you could even use it. That you paid for it doesn't change the facts, and the contract you entered into with Adobe and others.

Is it possible for Adobe to see if an image was manipulated using PS xx or LR xx that was no longer licensed? I doubt it. Would they take action if they discovered this horrendous crime? I doubt it.

So, CARRY ON and DON'T PANIC.

Open a Photoshop edited image, examine the File Info and don't try removing it!:

http://digitaldog.net/files/FileInfo.jpg

Panic? No. Understand what you agreed upon when using software? Yes, good idea. It's all spelled out.

• Like 1

As it happens, I just wrote a blog post ("You are a Liar. Yes you are") that includes quite a bit about licenses. And then, today, I get the Adobe Notice.

I don't have a copy of the original Lightroom license, but I have just looked at Phase One's license to see how they deal with "perpetual". Their wording leads me to believe that it does indeed mean perpetual. In an early section they say:

"Your rights under this License will terminate automatically and without notice from Phase One if you fail to comply with any terms and conditions hereof or if the License is otherwise terminated by Phase One as provided for in this License."

BUT later on they say this:

"2.3 Perpetual licenses for Capture One and Media Pro

If you have acquired licenses to a version of Capture One or Media Pro which are of a perpetual nature your right to install and use the Software is – in addition to and without limiting any other terms and conditions set out in this License – subject to the following additional restrictions and limitations with respect to installation and use of Capture One or Media Pro (as the case may be) depending on the Software and version hereof licensed by you:"

What follows basically says that you, and only you, can use the software on up to three machines.

So I think they cannot, in the future, terminate the perpetual license.

"Your rights under this License will terminate automatically and without notice from Phase One if you fail to comply with any terms and conditions hereof or if the License is otherwise terminated by Phase One as provided for in this License."

Ah, that's the bottom line you and other's agreed to when clicking Accept (or OK) to use the software. IF you fail to comply and they determine what and when that failure takes place.

If only everyone actually read what they agree to in advance.......

It makes no sense because you agreed to an EULA without reading or understanding what you agreed to! I'm sorry the facts have ruined your day. Start here, move on:

Photoshop Lightroom End User License Agreement - Adobe Labs

2. Software License. If you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, as further set forth below. See Section 14 for specific provisions related to certain components.

In this one paragraph, you've been told by Adobe you must comply with their terms in order for them to grant you non exclusive use of their product.

NOWHERE does the term perpetual license show up nor would I expect anyone to do so. Such a 'perceptual licensee' grants the user the perpetual (non-expiring) right to use a given application or feature IF and WHEN they comply with the EULA.

You may have paid for something, you also agreed to the terms of use before you could even use it. That you paid for it doesn't change the facts, and the contract you entered into with Adobe and others.

No no no. This might not be the correct version of the license (it doesn’t say Lightroom 6) but if it is the operative term is:

2. Software License.
If you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, as further set forth below.

Nothing in the license contradicts the statement that the license applies “as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement.” There is nothing that says the license expires when the version is discontinued or that Adobe can add such requirements after the license agreement has been made.

• Like 1

No no no. This might not be the correct version of the license (it doesn’t say Lightroom 6) but if it is the operative term is:

2. Software License.
If you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, as further set forth below.

Nothing in the license contradicts the statement that the license applies “as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement.” There is nothing that says the license expires when the version is discontinued or that Adobe can add such requirements after the license agreement has been made.

No, no no, you didn't read the EULA or you'd know. No, no no, you didn't read the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation. No, no no, you fail to understand and accept that Adobe can revoke your license and they decide what compile means! You can use it as long as they let you. You agreed to that and you'd understand this fact if (and when) you actually read what you agreed to. Then they can revoke the license no matter how long ago you paid for the license.

No, no no, you didn't read the EULA or you'd know. No, no no, you didn't read the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation. No, no no, you fail to understand and accept that Adobe can revoke your license and they decide what compile means! You can use it as long as they let you. You agreed to that and you'd understand this fact if (and when) you actually read what you agreed to. Then they can revoke the license no matter how long ago you paid for the license.

Then it shouldn't be buried on 35's page of fine print, it should be printed like Surgeon General warning on the pack of cigarettes. Anyway, with P/E ratio of 51.52 it will get down really hard. They really trying to squeeze every cent from clients and it's only generate backlash.

• Like 1

Do you think we’re idiots? Yes yes yes,
We? Not everyone but certainly a few.

“If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.”

― Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Okay. Show me the part that shows that a license is revoked when a version is discontinued. So far you have not done so. I’m agreeing with Phil’s point about fanboys who think their favorite company can do no wrong, because I see no support for the idea that a fully paid up license is revoked when the version is discontinued. That might be in another version of the license agreement, so if you have that please post a link. I can’t find it and I don’t have a copy of LR6 to check. If Adobe does bury those terms in the depths of fine print, that would be a good reason to avoid their products.

I never asked you a question. You seem to assume that anyone protesting doesn't already know what you're talking about. The point isn't about the fact that users sign agreements and of the sneaky hidden terms that might be in them. It's not about the legal validity of the terms and conditions when Adobe is enforcing it but of the validity of the terms as a moral principle.

A good point. Users have expectations, based on experience of industry practice, of what they get when they buy a retail software license. It you’re going to give them something substantially less than a perpetual license you should say so upfront and not in an obfuscated way.

You don't have a copy of what you agreed to legally perhaps hundreds of times. Then get upset because of your own agreement? Some posting need to grow up and face/accept their actions!

I just received the email from Adobe. It appears that this only applies to Creative Cloud applications which, I think, were all subscription-based anyway. So, if you have LR5 or older, or non CC versions of Photoshop, it appears that you are still licensed to use them.

529550999_ScreenShot2019-05-11atMay1111_03_13AM.png.964d298d4a97b3c9d29a6aa2c25ec46f.png

• Like 2

I just received the email from Adobe. It appears that this only applies to Creative Cloud applications which, I think, were all subscription-based anyway. So, if you have LR5 or older, or non CC versions of Photoshop, it appears that you are still licensed to use them.

[ATTACH=full]1294772[/ATTACH]

Does this mean that actually it’s not the perpetual license version that’s de-licensed and actually it’s the subscription version that shipped at the same time? That would make much more sense.

[ATTACH=full]1294772[/ATTACH]

As I reported in terms of LR5: RUNS just fine.

the fact that users sign agreements and of the sneaky hidden terms that might be in them. It's not about the legal validity of the terms and conditions when Adobe is enforcing it but about the validity of the terms as a moral principle.

I'm a little surprised to find that I agree with you on something. :-) But yeah, there IS no "moral principle" in big business as a whole. Big business treats consumers the same way farmers treat chickens: extract the maximum possible money from them (us) and when our value to them is gone, PLUCK 'em. :-(

Software licenses are three-card-monte games. Open source software is Nirvana.

If only some would study up before ranting. The facts about the last "perpetual" version from Adobe was outline here long ago:

6.14 now available – last perpetual update of Lightroom

6.14 now available – last perpetual update of Lightroom: December 19, 2017

A good read for those that can and do so before blindly clicking on an Accept button of LRs EULA:

How to Buy Lightroom in 2019

Edited by digitaldog