Basic video editor for Nikon coolpix P7700

alex_novikov

Hi,

In my travels I've found that this camera's video and sound are more than adequate for casual tourist needs. However, editing (nothing more than basic cuts to get rid of shaky/blurry stuff) has proven difficult. Free .mov editors that I've downloaded either choke on files from the get go when importing them into the editor or crash when I save after the first couple of edits. Does any one have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Apple "Final Cut Pro" will do everything you ask for and more, for $300. You can "rent" Adobe Premiere Pro for $10/month. Apple iMovie is free, and may meet your needs. The few times I've tried it have been disappointing, but I've been using Premiere Pro since version 1.

Video editing has a steep learning curve, and a huge memory and disk space overhead. If you count your time spent learning a product, free programs are sometimes the most expensive of all. When they change or are dropped, that time is lost.

If it will take your file type, or if you can convert it, the free VirtualDub can do a lot. The learning curve isn't too bad once you figure out the overall logic of how it works. I use it to process huge high speed images, removing all the sections where nothing's happening and filtering for better appearance.
  • Like 1

For simple tasks Adobe Premier Element should do (I've never used it so do due diligence). It is about $70 full retail, but usually goes on sale either by itself or bundled with Photoshop Elements. Check Amazon, BH, Adorama for best price.

• 4 years later...

2020s human have attention span like 15 seconds, then they start skipframing till end of video. For posting cheerious files online from .mov source, look for screen recording software, some allow cropping, scaling, numerous video and audio codecs, etc. These softwares run even in slightly older computer

23 hours ago, anish_chacko said:

What video editors you use now?

I use Movavi. It has an intuitive interface and has a lot of automated features like transitions or color correction that work great. It supports a lot of formats, and this is very good for me because I work with different formats every day. 

You can find in this article more info about it and also more editors to use that might be suitable for you: https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/combine-videos-windows-10.html.