Nikon USA, Free FTZ Adapter with Z6 or Z7

ShunCheung

Previously there was a $100 discount on the FTZ adapter. That has now changed to a $250 discount. In other words, Nikon USA is effectively giving you a free FTZ adapter with a Z6 or Z7 purchase.

Canon has just introduced a $1300 FX-format, entry-level mirrorless body. Sony is discounting the old A7, with a cheap kit lens to just below $1000:

SonyAlpha a7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens

With Panasonic/Sigma/Leica also in the game, the competition in FX mirrorless is fierce. Expect more discounts to come. They all know that once a photographer buys into a mount, it will be difficult to get them to switch later on, in a shrinking camera market.

Without the adapter, you add a minimum of $600 to the cost of the Z for a lens - the least expensive 50mm f/1.8. For anyone with a collection of Nikon lenses, the adapter is a necessity. A new 24-70 f/2.8 is almost $2300 and the Z-mount 70-200 f/2.8 does not exist. nor do primes exist that cover the range. Add $2300 to the true cost of the camera, and sales are limited.

The FTZ adds $250 to the cost of either Z-mount camera which probably limited sales (depends the elasticity of the price/demand curve for Z-mount cameras).

Until now, the FTZ has been $150 instead of $250, since Nikon has been giving a $100 rebate on it from day 1. But at least IMO, the main reason to go mirrorless is to use the improved lenses. In a recent trip, I used the 24-70mm/f4 S (mirrorless) and the 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR extensively, and the Z-mount version is a much better lens.

The FTZ is kind of necessary because the lack of native Z-mount lenses at this point, but frankly I rarely use mine. People who prefer F-mount lenses are much better off sticking to Nikon DSLRs.

Both Canon and Sony are aggressively pushing their FF mirrorless bodies with deep discounts. Everybody knows now is the time to acquire new customers and get them into the new lens mounts. I kind of doubt that Canon is making a whole lot of money for selling the new RP at $1300. I would expect Nikon to further discount the Z6 and Z7 aggressively in the coming months.

I'm impressed with the Z6, but as a D500 owner with only one FX lens (that won't auto-focus on the FTZ), I view the Z6 as an expensive paper weight unless I spend about $1,000 more on the 24-70mm and a couple of XQD cards and reader. So I'll pass on considering a Z camera until there's a collection of native lenses for it.

I'm impressed with the Z6, but as a D500 owner with only one FX lens (that won't auto-focus on the FTZ), I view the Z6 as an expensive paper weight unless I spend about $1,000 more on the 24-70mm and a couple of XQD cards and reader. So I'll pass on considering a Z camera until there's a collection of native lenses for it.

There are a few native lenses already. The 24-70mm f/2.8 should be out shortly.

The 24-70mm/f4 S kit lens is actually only $600 more if you purchase it as a kit, and it is excellent, much better than my 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR in the 24-70 range.

The 14-30mm/f4 and 24-70mm/f2.8 should be out very soon.

Incidentally, besides the free FTZ adapter, B&H is now throwing in a free 32G Sony XQD card and a camera bag, but that is an incentive specifically from B&H. Other Nikon USA dealers only have the free FTZ:

As I said, I am quite sure that the Z6 and Z7 will continue to get cheaper in the coming months due to the strong competition. If you are not in any hurry, it pays to wait longer for better deals.

I ordered a second Z6 with the free adapter so now I have two which I wanted because I am still very much in the F mount lens array. But I do also have the 35mm and 50mm 1.8S lenses in addition to the 24-70S, all just incredible lenses. I think the D850 is probably the last F mount / DSLR I will buy so it is still going to pay off having all my F mount glass too. The only S lens I want now is a 70-200mm F4 but that might be awhile.

Just yesterday I had the opportunity to hold one of the Z series camera. I was looking for a video camera for some non photography people. It has a very good viewfinder, I have not held any of the more newer mirrorless cameras, it was so good I thought I was using a real dSLR. It felt really familiar to a dSLR user it's not a Fuji X or an Olympus where you can walk in casually and hold the camera behind your hip, it's not a Nikon FM2 equiv. Not held the Sony, maybe the Sony full frame cameras is going to feel a bit larger also. As a Nikon dSLR user I don't see myself going to the Z series. If I wanted lighter I would just go with something smaller than FF and with a lens that is physically smaller too, love the primes that are available with a filter thread smaller than 52mm. I would think in all, a relatively small handful of users would had moved to it so far, it can be good for docu/ street if they really need that FF sensor for low light etc. but many working pro's can get the job done with APS-C. That said many pro's are still using quite dated and still very decent (SLR) cameras.

I ordered a second Z6 with the free adapter so now I have two which I wanted because I am still very much in the F mount lens array. But I do also have the 35mm and 50mm 1.8S lenses in addition to the 24-70S, all just incredible lenses. I think the D850 is probably the last F mount / DSLR I will buy so it is still going to pay off having all my F mount glass too. The only S lens I want now is a 70-200mm F4 but that might be awhile.

While I am quite happy with the Z6, my approach is going to be different. The 24-70mm/f4 S and the 35mm/f1.8 S are both excellent; in particular, the 24-70 f4 is far superior to my 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR in the F mount. My focus will be the Z-mount wide angles.

I am going to wait for a second-generation Z body before I'll add a second body. I still don't particularly like having only one memory card slot, and I am sure the Z6 and Z7 have plenty of room for improvement.

While I am quite happy with the Z6, my approach is going to be different. The 24-70mm/f4 S and the 35mm/f1.8 S are both excellent; in particular, the 24-70 f4 is far superior to my 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR in the F mount. My focus will be the Z-mount wide angles.

I am going to wait for a second-generation Z body before I'll add a second body. I still don't particularly like having only one memory card slot, and I am sure the Z6 and Z7 have plenty of room for improvement.

Agreed RE improvement, they are a royal pain to use with Winter gloves and I have been riding the tech guys to give me an option in a firmware update that allows me to either toggle the mechanical shutter closed when powered off or at some other point so I can safely change lenses. Swapping lenses with the Z in any kind of weather, even wind sees the exposed sensor muck up almost instantly. Also, even if not containing a battery, these bodies need a vertical grip badly for long glass ergonomics. I'm relying on the Z6 a lot though these days so I figure at just $2K it is cheap insurance to get a second one.

As far as a second slot, yes, SD would have been nice but it's not really a deal breaker for me. XQD is quite robust, the last card failure I had was in 2005 with a 2GB Sandisk Ultra-II and before that in 1995 with a 96MB PCMCIA which was essentially a 1.8" form factor hard drive for the NC-2000...those super sucked, LOL!