To matte or not to matte

tcyin

And, given a very good image, it should still be good when sensibly adjusted to fit standard mat sizes.

I’m not really sure what a “good” image is. For me, the photo is what I want the photo to look like. Since the edges of the frame are often crucial to me, I won’t crop to fit if it means compromising an element at the edge of the frame. And, if I’ve cropped to a non-standard ratio to get the photo I want, I won’t distort the image to fit into a standard ratio for framing. I assume money is an issue for most of us. It certainly is for me. So I spend money on things that are important to me and always look for ways to save when I do so. In any case, I didn’t think you were diminishing anything. Not sure why my putting forward my way of doing something suggests to you that your way somehow diminishes it.

There’s always something new under the sun.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every element in the creative process carries some weight, but not in equal proportions. I want to feel “delight” in the final outcome. Adherence to any one element such as the “as shot” aspect ratio could be a creative decision, but really, there are no restrictions except the need for light. As I look with delight I am thinking of something I could change to make it just a little more...

Now that this thread is slowing down the nerd/geek in me wants to add a very brief language usage note: According to Merriam-Webster, we "mat" (verb) our photos for display. The material we use to do so is a mat (noun). Proper use of the word "matte" is as an adjective in reference to a dull finish, or as a noun in particular cinematic layered imaging techniques. I was confused so I looked it up, and I thought you all might appreciate the information...
  • Like 1

i trump you in nerdiness any day

I'll give you that (assuming you want it). However, I'll bet the nerd quotient in my family exceeds most, since I'm married to a bona fide nuclear physicist, and two of my daughters are currently studying engineering, with the older one working on a NASA grant studying long term radiation exposure effects for space flight. :D:rolleyes:

Standard aspect ratios in photo mats come from film aspect ratios.

Back when I did a little darkroom work (Lo, those many, many years ago!), I had a set of pre-made masks integrated into print paper holders. 90% or better of my prints were easily accommodated by this set of tools, while working outside this set made things more complicated (at least for a newby like me).