There is no better site ...

John Peri

I like PhotoNet, too. That's why I've been around for so long and participate as much as I do. And it's why I'm so upset at how badly this redesign was and is still being rolled out and how many technical glitches I still experience on pretty much a daily basis. My opinion is considered less "constructive" than some so my smiley face has a bit of an edge to it.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, JUST GOT A SERVER ERROR THREE TIMES WHEN TRYING TO POST THIS SO I HAD TO QUIT AND RELAUNCH BY BROWSER, THOUGH I WAS ABLE TO POST A COUPLE OF PHOTOS TO NO WORDS THIS MORNING WITHOUT A HITCH! Yes, smiley with an edge!

• Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been around here for a very long time, but skipped a few years because I just didn't do much photography other than catalog type work. That made it much more of a shock to come back and see the software problems and lack of traffic. Forums without traffic are hard to maintain much interest in. I can't use the site at all from work- it flashes every time it loads an ad or whatever it loads, making it slow, annoying and unusable. I used to like to browse it during lunch. All that said, I still come back and hold out hope that things will improve.

Photography itself has changed a lot, and the things that interest an old fart from the golden age of film, probably don't interest very many people anymore. The study of photography as a craft or an art form might be a bit passe.

• Like 1

things that interest an old fart from the golden age of film,

Quite a bunch of us "holdouts" fit that description. There are still interesting things to be found. IMO. Software issues seem to vary person to person. Generally the ones I experience are mild compared to others. Just have to hang on and see how things develop. (Pun intended!)

• Like 1

PN has value. It has had better. I miss some of the faces of the past. And a sense of someone in control with a shared passion for the enterprise. If that be harsh, I accept the charge.

How harsh is for you alone to judge Gerry, to my knowledge no one has contested anyone's opinion - however, you express it politely and that is where the imperative lies .. no tedious repetitions, no bold capital letters and none of the other excesses that we have encountered recently on these pages.

Edited by John Peri
  • Like 1

our imperative, John, and perhaps one other of note. That's it. Please don't saddle the rest of us with your concocted imperatives. Thankfully, you dictate neither what or how I photograph nor what I say nor how I say it! Bold, caps, or otherwise.

Precisely Fred, presuming that I also have a right to one according to your argument, I was stating "my" opinion! .. you are free to agree with it or not, or is that a prerogative that you only grant yourself?

I do not dictate to anyone on these pages, there are 15 years of records on this site to show that, nor do I partake in any these petty quarrels that you so often appear to delight in. Any insinuation to the contrary is a simply a Trump-like deflection from the truth and from ones own mistakes. The boring repetitions and the recurrent bold capital letters I refer to are are your own! We also live on these pagers, and we have a right to express our opinion too, it is infantile (note the small lettering).

Now you can reply that I am a pineapple with pink ears, I do not care .. I will not partake in this pettiness any longer.

That said, this is really quite extraordinary. All I asked for in this thread was for some compassion, some empathy towards those facing the obvious difficulties that they do in financing/improving this site, through the constructive and polite expression of their grievances, not only for them but also to spare us others the boredom and embarrassment of reading their daily tirades. You may call for the contrary Fred if you so please.

Edited by John Peri

Yes, President Trump does that too ..

Dear Fred, I have spent 15 years on PN largely ignoring infantile comments such as the above, written by people that often seem to have very little else to do

no tedious repetitions, no bold capital letters and none of the other excesses that we have encountered recently on these pages.

As far as I can tell, John, despite your 15 years here and your own take on your behavior, you're the only one who's levied direct personal attacks in this thread. Don't worry, though, I can take it. And I'm not calling for them to stop. I kind of like them. They're honest and sincere.

• Like 2

I miss some of the faces of the past.

I do too.

Gerry, the problem is that with or without them, we weren't enough; we aren't enough.

I think that Glenn (the face we are given of "someone in control") does show passion. He and/or the photo.net people behind the scenes are faced with the bewildering task of trying to attract precisely those people who are not here. We are not enough.

I would suggest that if John wants a more positive decorum at PN he could begin by taking a break from trolling the site help forum with thinly veiled lectures on how the rest of us should behave.

Gordon, I completely agree but i also think John should tell us why he thinks PN is so great so that management may concentrate on those areas in an attempt to attract new members

• Like 1

A quick word on the original topic of the thread, which struck me as having it a bit backward . . .

Empathy:

Let's say I go to a restaurant with a group of friends. A cockroach saunters up to the table or the food is served cold or the water in the bathroom only works sporadically. My empathies would lie with my fellow diners and I would hold the owners or managers accountable.

• Like 2

A quick word on the original topic of the thread, which struck me as having it a bit backward . .

i don’t agree. this thread was all about singing PN’s praises nothing else. Yet John fails to list why he thinks that this place is special.

Let’s stay on topic.

Gentlemanly discourse, John, hard to find. Nowadays.St least online, it seems like go to a neutral corner, and wait for the bell and never hold a punch back. Tom Friedman talked about the anger industry. I think I take your point far above. Fair one. I miss Lex Jenkins who pulled no punches but did it in a nice way. Kept civility in check as a moderator. I follow Lex on his FB page btw. He does a lot of bicycling these days, doing long rou
  • Like 1