An older photoshop problem

Evening all,

I've bumped into a problem with an older Photoshop, the CS2 version. I know, it's an old PS but I'm using it on an XP machine. Why? Simple, I'm running an older CoolScan and it won't work on any other machine here, XP is all I have that will operate the Coolscan. I'm spending time scanning many old family slides. The problem is that CS2 wants me to go online and register. This is a problem because this old computer is no longer able to go online. I don't know why and honestly don't care as I don't want it to go online and pick up some nasty bug. The question then is what are my options? Is there a way to install CS2 so it doesn't insist on going online in 30 days? I bought this software through proper channels, it is not a pirated version. I know that Adobe is charging by the month nowadays but that was not the case when this was purchased. If all else fails what are my options? I think there is an old version of Elements around here but I don't want to go that way. If all else fails I'll just put the slide scans on a thumb drive and work on them with a newer machine. Thanks for any solutions.

Rick H.

I don't know where you get that XP will not work online, it will. Firefox browser will run on XP. Microsoft released a patch for the latest ransomware attack. Your licensed internet security suite should keep you protected. All you have to do is connect the internet to the computer via lan cable, dialup, WiFi, then click on the register in CS2 and the code to turn off the timer will be installed by Adobe taking all of a minute or two, even going bare without any security its highly unlikely you will get hacked. Surfing the web on the XP machine without internet security is another thing entirely.

I ran CS2 until I updated my Win 8 machine to Win 10 where it started having problems. Adobe offered a free download of CS2 for Win 8 and 8.1 to registered users, its buried in their downloads somewhere. A CS5 upgrade will install and run on Win 10 and your CS2 license code will work with it (proof of previous version).

Vuescan supports 24 Nikon scanners Nikon Scanner Drivers | VueScan and it likely will run your scanner on newer operating systems.

Edited by thirteenthumbs

Photoshop CS2 is very good at image editing. Not many programs support clone stamping or healing brushing in 16-bit color images. You could try to find old pci network card, install it and plug network cable to that. If Your machine is behind nat or firewall this should be pretty safe.

Then just register CS2 with Your adobe account. If You do not have adobe account, You could create one. I have adobe account and have not yet met any additional expenses as I have not yet made subscriptions like photographers lightroom & photoshop package.

Just remembered that there might be an issue with originally supplied product key as original registration servers were taken down. Look for collective key released on adobe site somewhere between 2012 and 2014 or thereabouts.

Also I would not underestimate power of photoshop elements, a lot of image editing can be done in elements.

I have not yet found thumbdrive with equal speed of 2,5" external harddrive.

Just remembered that there might be an issue with originally supplied product key as original registration servers were taken down.

Adobe registration servers recognize valid license codes of all Adobe products. If you registered the product once before then reregistering it again after a reinstall will be quick and painless, first time registration might be a problem. I run CS5 on my editing computer and PS7 on this late night machine. CS2 is still installed on the unused XP machine. I have not had any trouble registering after a reinstall whether I used the suspend feature or not, CS5 has the option to unregister the product so that it can be reassigned to another person.

I also have Elements 11 but prefer PS7 over it.

The problem is not that CS2 won't work online and so on. That old machine will not go online. There is a problem of some kind that keeps it from going online at all. Tried a little bit of repair but as my computer repair skills are limited and I don't want this machine online anyway, this XP machine is unlikely to ever go back online. I simply use it to scan slides and perhaps do some Photoshop work on them. I am very annoyed that Adobe insists that I go online and do some kind of registration. I paid enough for the software that it jolly well ought to work without being registered. Adobe has truly pissed me off the last few years with the way they charge on a monthly basis to use their software. I guess I am just stuck with it.

Rick H,

Dieter's link has the correct answer:

"Activation server unavailable" error in Adobe CS2, Acrobat 7, and Audition 3

Adobe released a version of CS2 for download that does not require online registration when they "disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue". Follow the link for a free download and activation keys. There should be no need to put XP online, and it is in any case no longer advisable, especially when you are installing products like CS2 that have known security vulnerabilities.

Hi. I'm fairly new. However, I run Win 10 and CS2, because it has been a free download for a couple of years.

Note that EVERY time I open CS2 it brings up a Registration dialog. All you have to do is click on the button for

"Do Not Register".

When I first installed this I "tried" to register and couldn't. So since then, that is what I have done. It works a treat.

--Oh, PS: You must have installed it properly first, using the supplied registration key.

ThirteenThumbs it is a Dell Dimension 4500s that came with XP. For some reason it will no longer recognize an internet connection at all. For that reason I can't log on to wherever Adobe wants me to go and it will time out after something like 29 or 30 days. It will not work either if I have changed the date on the computer. A 'safety' device I am sure but it annoys the crap out of me. Not sure I need this product but it is the sort of thing that makes me open to a pirated version.

Rick H.