Monochrome Monday 24 July 2017 (take 2)

Gentlemen:

Regarding the recent thread deletions in NWF, I deleted the threads because they were not appropriate for that forum. The No Words Forum is meant to be exactly that. To expand on this, the threads are meant to be non-verbal discussions. The recently deleted threads by their very nature invited discussions and comments; and members began to do just that. One thread invited multiple entries from each respondent, which is strictly forbidden in NWF.

There was nothing inherently wrong with these deleted threads, in fact they were quite good ideas. But they really should have been started in one of the other PhotoNet fora, not the NWF.

Perhaps what is needed is a new forum category to handle threads such as those that were deleted. The old PhotoNet site had a few more threads than what we now have. Also, the posting guidelines were more visible (which made my job easier).

Edited by WJT

Walt,

Thank you for this comprehensive, non-aggressive response (but why just to the Gentlemen ?).

I think we all understand that the rules had been, if not broken, at least ignored in these few instances, but some of us feel that the solution was, shall we say, both intemperate and (judging from the furore caused) ill-advised. Please can you let me know how, when one first posts a legitimate image in a No Words thread, one can anticipate that there will be comments which are nor permitted, and thus qualify the tread to be started in a different Forum ? Surely, should this situation arise, it is one of the functions of a disinterested Moderator (as I am sure most are) to move the thread to an appropriate forum, with a comment as to why this has been done?

You yourself say ;

There was nothing inherently wrong with these deleted threads, in fact they were quite good ideas

so why punish everyone who posted for the transgressions of the few ? This idea has fallen out of favour even with the educational establishment these days. If this situation occurs again, may I humbly beseech you not to remove the entire thread, but to move it where you will ? Many thanks.

Tony

As the starter of this particular FFLF thread I'd like to thank Walt for his swift reply. I would like to add that I saw none of the activity that was mentioned in Walt's post owing to time zone differences. One has to sleep sometimes. Most of the postings on a thread appear during my night. For instance I received a PM from Walt at 2.20am - Walt's post here is timed at 3.40am and I'm composing this at 8.30am on Thursday 27th local time. So by the time I post this reply most of you will be away with the fairies. Confused? Looks like dealing direct with the moderator is the way to go.
  • Like 1