A rule I didn't know about.

Long time contributing members--those who have led to the success of this venue--are dropping off in droves. This is undeniable. We are deluged with newbies that ask such questions as "Should I buy vintage Kodachrome" or "What lens shot this photo." Please... I understand that this venue is one that should be welcoming and informative to all--but if the skilled and interested leave due to what honestly must be the greatest calamity

long time members have been dropping off since about 2006-7, around the time NM bought it from PG and when flickr really took off, and have continued to do so since.

the problem with this place, past and present, is that management have always preferred the knowledgeable, over the the inspirational, and have sought to present that knowledge in an almost Victorian way- no edits until recently, no deleting posts, no duplicate posts even when they weren't really duplicates, no criticism of moderation etc., no heated debate, no OT stuff, banning the most creative, outspoken members, etc

PN 2 could have dropped all that but they didn't. The spirit of Greenspan still haunts this place.

Edited by Norman 202

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what is a "non-verbal discussion"?

See the book America: 2006 by Obvious & Ordinary. Or, as the title appears, Obvious & Ordinary: America 2006.

'Obvious' and 'Ordinary' are pseudonyms for two Very Famous Photographers (I won't tell you who they are, but search will give it up). There names appear nowhere in the text. Frontispiece is a color picture of a supermarket display of rows and rows of juicy, pink, plump baloney (not nasty sour baloney; here, you laugh at it and enjoy it). The next page, the backside of the baloney is a moody black and white shot through a moisture streaked tenement window onto a bleak, dark building, opposite, hinting at a spoof of Robert Frank and/or W.E. Smith in his Jazz Loft days. You may surmise which is by Obvious and which is by Ordinary.

From there, the page spreads mock and chat with each other about America 2006; candy color to stern witty black and white. In several instances, the color is on top of the black and white or vice versa.

There is no text, not even a copyright notice.

Wouldn't want to create too much activity in the forums. :confused: The site can't take any more postings because of all the activity. That type of activity must be discouraged apparently or we would have people having fun and posting messages all Will-Nilly and before you know it, all out pandemonium and the site turns into the Facebook of photography.

Creative types vs rules and boundaries. If they just drop all the users and replace them with bots then postings could be kept under control and no more complaints.

• Like 3
Cheers, Mark

Creative types vs rules and boundaries. If they just drop all the users and replace them with bots then postings could be kept under control and no more complaints

i commented on a photo in the nw shadow/highlights thread and it was deleted by someone who obviously felt rools я rools and should never be broken. no. matter. what.

i commented on a photo in the nw shadow/highlights thread and it was deleted by someone who obviously felt rools я rools and should never be broken. no. matter. what.

You are no doubt on Double Secret Probation. Have you clicked on your name in the upper right-hand corner to see the secret dossier they are keeping on you? Or will you too get the error message:

1130989919_MyAccount.jpg.1a74a26d833d288e9c3ee02037ee5a8e.jpg

Cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Just had "Blowing in The Wind" thread removed from "No Words" forum because of the rule: No starting new threads in the same forum in a 24 hour period". Too bad, it was getting a good responses.

An intelligent solution would have been to simply advance the post date a day or two and caution the poster via email. Result: everybody's happy.

• 4 weeks later...

This rule about contributors not posting another thread within 24 hours of their first one in No Words has been around and understood since I became a paying member ten years ago.

There's a good reason for it. Image overload where one poster who may or may not squat on this site 24/7 gets more attention by posting endless thread topics one after another. Same applies for those posting more than one image within the same thread within 24hr period.

You guys couldn't figure that out? Yeah, senior moment my a$$!

This rule about contributors not posting another thread within 24 hours of their first one in No Words has been around and understood since I became a paying member ten years ago.

There's a good reason for it. Image overload where one poster who may or may not squat on this site 24/7 gets more attention by posting endless thread topics one after another. Same applies for those posting more than one image within the same thread within 24hr period.

I understand the logic of the rule and if that is what works that is fine. But sometimes I wish that maybe one could squeeze in a second photo. Also some images make one want to comment. Maybe a revision of the ruler our a forum tiitleed words on no words.

You guys couldn't figure that out? Yeah, senior moment my a$$!

I interpret the idea behind the No Words forum along the lines the least spoken the more said. In this case one has to say all that needs to be said relating to the topic with one image.

Don't much care one way or the other on No Words having rules, but I just don't want to have to scroll and download a lengthy thread of images that now has grown much bigger because someone thinks there needs to be two images about ducks or cats, etc. Some folks have different reasons for posting images that has nothing to do with communicating an idea effectively.

They just like to see their images presented next to other photog's images to the point they end up thinly relating to the topic at hand.

• Like 1

I understand the logic of the rule and if that is what works that is fine. But sometimes I wish that maybe one could squeeze in a second photo. Also some images make one want to comment. Maybe a revision of the ruler our a forum tiitleed words on no words.

Donald, I have had a second photo that would work in a thread, sometimes I've had three or four. But, I just hold onto those figuring they'll eventually either fit into a thread with a different theme or the theme I'm currently posting to will come around again at some point.

Some images have inspired me to comment, in which case I've sent a personal message (through the "conversation" function) to the photographer. I think it can be a nice thing to do. I'm for keeping the rules as they are.

I know I've seen W/NW threads in various forums, so if you want to start one, I'd either do it in Casual Conversations or in the more genre-specific forum where it would fit. I'm pretty sure I used to see them regularly in the Street forum, and I think I've seen them in Portraits as well.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Another way to comment on, or discuss, NW threads or photos would be to create a companion thread in Casual Conversations.

For example, in response to Tim's Hardest Shot thread one could ask, in the companion thread, if the hardest shot gave the most pleasure and this could be discussed by all members.

Edited by Norman 202

• 4 weeks later...
I’d like to see the results of a member survey about the addition if a question mark to the left of the “like” button for indicating confusion regarding the submission of a NW image and its match to the topic or theme. Some images I have seen are so far off topic and others are simply admittedly errors. Wouldn’t the posters prefer to be made aware that others, while clicking the like button also believe that the image would be more welcome in a more appropriate thread? We need a way to express a WTF occasionally. It would take a load off our apparently overworked moderators.

I’d like to see the results of a member survey about the addition if a question mark to the left of the “like” button for indicating confusion regarding the submission of a NW image and its match to the topic or theme. Some images I have seen are so far off topic and others are simply admittedly errors. Wouldn’t the posters prefer to be made aware that others, while clicking the like button also believe that the image would be more welcome in a more appropriate thread? We need a way to express a WTF occasionally. It would take a load off our apparently overworked moderators.

You can contact the poster via PRIVATE CONVERSATION. I've done it a few times when I didn't get the connection to theme and it was nice to be enlightened by the photographer who explained it to me.

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

You can contact the poster via PRIVATE CONVERSATION. I've done it a few times when I didn't get the connection to theme and it was nice to be enlightened by the photographer who explained it to me.

Fred: That would only be the first step in the process that is also lacking in PN. If the poster and the "suggestor" completely agree....what kind of correction options are available to the poster? And what if the post is a total error? The rules or procedures for this seem transparent to the point of being invisible.