What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

1 hour ago, rick_drawbridge said:

I'm stuck inside due to some inclement weather, and cleaning some of the old cameras. These Yashica Electro 35 GSNs are such pretty cameras and they have the iconic 45mm Color-Yashinon DX f1.7 lens, and I'm tempted to take one out this weekend, if the weather clears.

Hi Rick, I happen to have the darker sister Yashica Electro 35 GTN loaded with Ilford HP5+. It is new to me so that will be a test roll.

Many years ago I was in Stockholm with the silver 35 GSN, and a young man asked me if it was a Leica. Pretty camera you say? 😂

Four 35mm compacts clockwise from top right: Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Minoltina AL-S, Canonet New QL17, Fujica 35-ML. Yashica GTN (GSN's darker cousin) is excellent for low light shots, and have perfect ergonomics despite its largest size. Minoltina is the lightest and most compact with the best all-around lens. Canonet is the most capable, albeit weak RF patch on my sample (thus the blue filter). Fujica has the most 3D looking lens, and slightly different operations.

Four 35mm compacts.jpeg

• Like 6

Nikkormat FT2 w. <New> Nikkor 35mm f/2 & Nikkormat EL w. Nikkor-P auto 105mm f/2.5

Just got the silver Nikkormat FT2 last week. 

It had some meter irregularities which I hope I have fixed, so I took it out for a spin this weekend loaded with HP5+. The lens is a <new>Nikkor 35/2.

The black EL came along because it still had half a roll of Superia Xtra loaded. The lens is a silver nose 105/2.5.

• Like 6
Niels

Not really my kind of camera but I saw it in a thrift store. Pop in some new batteries ( double a ) put in a roll of film ,which I always keep when the wife and I check out antique,thrift stores just in case, and it fires right up.for the pricley sum of 10 bucks what the heck.

20240414_171001.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remote cousins:

• Left: Nicca 3-F with Leica Summitar 50/2
  • Right: Zorki 1 with FED 50/3.5

They are both great carry-everywhere cameras: capable of producing excellent images, and smaller than most 70s' "compact rangefinders" such as Canon QL17. But they are definitely dense, and not for flimsy pockets.

Leica_clones.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Excellent! 1

Shot a couple of rolls with that Leica IIIc, the Nikon S2 and a few sheets with my Speed Graphic during Memorial Day and the Liberation Festivities over the weekend.

Talked to a lot of folks about film and photography during WW2 that came to my small Signal Photographic Company display.

Tourdewaal.jpg.4bf1e2ff5deb6c48aed2999ce5f82fde.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, chuck_foreman1 said:

How Cool RickN... I suppose a lot of people were interested in your living history Signal Corps!! 

There was, particularly on Sunday, when we celebrated the liberation and the end of World War 2.

Had about 5 milliseconds of screen time as well (around 1:30) :

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Rick_van_Nooij said:

There was, particularly on Sunday, when we celebrated the liberation and the end of World War 2.

Had about 5 milliseconds of screen time as well (around 1:30) :

It did flash by quite quickly... the video was very well done. Looks like it was great time for all

15 hours ago, Rick_van_Nooij said:

Shot a couple of rolls with that Leica IIIc, the Nikon S2 and a few sheets with my Speed Graphic during Memorial Day and the Liberation Festivities over the weekend.

Talked to a lot of folks about film and photography during WW2 that came to my small Signal Photographic Company display.

Nicely done Rick.  I'm sure you had plenty of info to pass on to your tent visitors.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chuck_foreman1 said:

It did flash by quite quickly... the video was very well done. Looks like it was great time for all

It certainly did Rick.  It appears that the Kiddos had a great time with their Paratrooper drop!  What a great idea.

Edited by Bettendorf

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, Rick_van_Nooij said:

Really cool set-up!

I couldn't own that movie camera without having to run film through it. It would quickly bankrupt me. Is it 16 or 35mm?

It looks like it is operated by electricity? Is it connected to a battery?

Edited by Niels - NHSN
Niels

1 hour ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Really cool set-up!

I couldn't own that movie camera without having to run film through it. It would quickly bankrupt me. Is it 16 or 35mm?

It looks like it is operated by electricity? Is it connected to a battery?

Rick can give you a more detailed answer but that is a 35 mm Bell & Howell with 400'  magazine attached.  There is an electric motor   that you can see in the picture and I am assuming that it could probably run off a car battery or something similar from the 1940's.  Since it wouldn't have been used for sync sound recording, a less than perfect 24 fps from a DC powered motor would have been acceptable.  I used the 16 mm version of this in college many years ago with spring wind--it ran for 35 seconds before needing to be wound again, and that required a strong wrist!

• Like 2

It is one of my Bell & Howell "Eyemo" 35mm cameras, a 71-Q model with the spider turret, a removable 400' magazine and a 'St-George' motor drive, with a battery box and  "Junior Professional" tripod.  Motor drives would've run off 6 or 12 volt DC.
In 1944 every Combat Assignment Team in a Signal Photo Company would have one of these, though only the News Reel Teams in the company would have the full accessory kit, including sound recording gear.  The 71-Z , single lens version, would be the secondary.

Eyemos3.jpg

And yes, running a 90 second roll of R100 through it, with developing and digitizing/projecting will ruin me financially.

• Like 3
  • Yes! 1

Is that a hand cranked version on the left?  And what kind of sound recording equipment would they have used?  Optical sound recorders were the size of a refrigerator at one point, and these cameras were far from silent in operation which is a big problem when recording dialogue.

The large crank is the same as the winding keys for charging the internal spring motor.

TM 11-487F mentions a couple of professional sounder Recorder systems used by the army in 1940-1950
PH-271, which was an optical recorder that was used in conjunction with the PH-270 camera.
PH-346-A and the PH-346-B optical recorders, the A was a compact version that could be operated by one man.

• Like 2

I rarely use this era of Pentax cameras as  find them a little small and fiddly for my largish fingers, and when I do I usually pick up the Super-A model with it's improved features. However, in line with my policy of exercising usable cameras now and then, I'm about to load a film into this little ME Super.

PentaxMESuper.jpg.f577198230a4dab195992b6d25ac11bf.jpg

• Like 4