Why do we have to sign into this site each day?

I visit the site at different times of the day, and depending on where I am, I sign on from different computers (all Macs, all running either Sierra or older versions of Mac OSX. (Firefox, BTW)

Sometimes after a day or two, I find I am still logged in. Sometimes an hour later I have to log again de novo.

Since the only other large living creature in the house is my new puppy, I have the computers set to remember the log- in so all I have to do is punch a button. That keeps me from getting frustrated, anyhow

I have no idea what is happening here, but I suspect that things will smooth out eventually.

Edited by JDMvW

This has been brought up several times already. The PN powers have decided that everyone gets logged out every 24 hours. Why there are some that don't fall under that category is something I don't understand. I, for one, do get logged out every day, no matter if I am not doing anything or am actively writing a post. It's quite annoying and I fail to see a good reason behind the practice.

I'm not sure why some people are being signed off more than once a day. Unless I change devices, I seem to be on a once-a-day cycle.

There are security advantages for users and the site in having forced sign outs, althoiugh how often is open to debate.

Those who have the properly working once-a-day cycle and are frustrated, be thankful you don't work where I did for 22 years. Everyone was automatically signed out of their computer after 15 minutes of inactivity and we were instructed to manually sign out any time we left our desks, even to pick up a document in the printer only 10 metres away. We had to change our password once a month--8 characters, lower case and upper case, special synbole, no dictionary words, not similar to the previous word and not the same as any password used in the last six months.

DrBen, I can be thankful I didn't work where you did for 22 years while also being annoyed at having to sign in every day on PN. I don't mind so much signing in on my home computer, though it's an unnecessary bother, but when I'm out and about and want to check in on PN on the fly on my phone, it is a real pain to have to log in to do so. I like choice. Most non-banking sites give me the choice to stay logged in or not. I have a choice whether to lock my phone and key in a passcode when I want to access it, which I choose not to do as well.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Frigo, I like your post. I would certainly be willing to compromise on the log in issue, which is annoying. So much more awful is that the gallery/portfolio side of the site is still so dysfunctional. If I could create and order my folders and my photos within those folders, more easily learn when people comment on my photos or followup on photos I've commented on, look individually at photos in my HIDDEN folders without getting an error message, and a few other things, I'd happily live with logging on every day. I'd even renew my membership.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Fred,Agree with you;I have been here a few years almost exclusively on the PHOTOside and miss the ease with which the old version allowed management of one's portfolio.Now,can't delete,move,arrange photos/folders etc as many have voiced ;traffic/interest has come to a virtual stop on my photos and even the local crowd(we rurals stick together) who used to visit find it ackward to navigate the site.Hope things will get better!